Leica Oh my... what have I done.

flash

Veteran
Name
Gordon
Firstly I need to say I'm laying the blame fair and square at the feet of soundimageplus (David), whom I have never met or spoken to on a one to one basis. But I'm doing it anyway.:D

I have been shooting professionally for nearly 20 years and have been a Canon user for longer than that. I shoot mainly weddings. I've spent the last couple of years a bit frustrated with my gear and have tried in vain to alleviate that by.... buying more gear. At my last wedding I had nearly 20 kilos (44lbs) of stuff. And used almost all of it. But it's getting in the way. Rather than encouraging creativity, it's destroying it.

After I got my EP-1 a year ago I started to contemplate how I could reduce my gear load. I picked up an EPL1 and housing for fun with a viewfinder. And then an EP-2 came up over at m4/3 at I grabbed that. I soon realised that for about 80% of what I do that m4/3 would be more than enough. So I bought lenses. Lots of them. 17mm, 20, PL25, 45 macro, 45-200, 9-18. the list goes on. Got a flash or two. So now I've got 18-400mm (equiv) covered in less than 4 kilos. Then i start reading soundimagplus' blog and posts here and mu-43.com. And he's thinking the same thing as me (well that's my version).

Long story. Sorry. Short ending.

Yesterday I put ALL my Canon gear on e(vil)bay. 20 years worth of stuff. I'm replacing it with a new M9, three lenses (all Voigtlanders), an m4/3 leica adaptor and a GH-2 for when I need AF. I haven't been this excited in years. And I'm going to shoot all my commercial and personal work using nothing with a mirror. This should be interesting.

So hope you don't mind, but there may be a stupid question or two in the next few weeks. I've owned several rangefinders, but never a Leica.

Thanks soundimageplus. I mean that. I owe you a beer.

Gordon

p.s. On the way out of the store I saw a m4/3 25mm 0.95 Nocton on the shelf, for less than you can get them on eBay. Couldn't resist :rolleyes:

A bold move for a professional photographer ... I really admire your decisiveness and confidence

If by decisiveness you mean, procrastinating and umming and ahhhing for nearly two years. Then yes, that's me. Mr Decisive :D

Confident yes. Although there are butterflies this is a careful, deliberate and considered opinion. I've slowly integrated smaller camera ( the Pens) into my workflow. For a while I've only has a few primes on my Canon bodies and zooms on the Pens and it's worked fine. More than fine, actually. The GH2 means I can be confident that the times I doo need a zoom are well covered and in most places where I use a zoom lens the extra DOF will be a help, not a hindrance.

I have also chosen now as I am soon to take 6 weeks off for a family holiday. I'll use that time to get to know the M9 inside and out.

Gordon

You're dead to me...

But seriously, brave move. I'm intrigued to know how you new setup will compare to your old DSLR gear, although more in operational terms than outright image quality.

I'll miss you.....

I should have mentioned that I shoot weddings as part of a duo. So there will be plenty of fat white lenses. I just won't be using or carrying them. I've got down to three primes and a 5D2 body of late at weddings. I only need a zoom for some of the reception and a long lens for a few shots during the ceremony. The GH2 will be perfect for this.

Gordon

Gordon

So no more Oly's?
:(
But if you are happy is all that counts

No. The Pens stay. For a few months the Pens have done very well in small commercial jobs. And i will continue to use them for commercial jobs and for personal use. Im going to work more to have a more appropriate tool for the job. For years Ive chased resolution and fast sharp lenses, complex lighting setups and being ready for anything, all the time. But 90% of the time the files from the 5D2 have been overkill in a big way. So ill use the Pen bodies when thats what the client needs. They're also the perfect backup. I just have to have a main body that has a viewfinder AND a flash on it at the same time. If and when the Pro Pen comes out I'll get it if it's more to my liking than the GH2.

Gordon

I should have mentioned that I shoot weddings as part of a duo. So there will be plenty of fat white lenses. I just won't be using or carrying them. I've got down to three primes and a 5D2 body of late at weddings. I only need a zoom for some of the reception and a long lens for a few shots during the ceremony. The GH2 will be perfect for this.

Gordon

Isn't delegation wonderful!

I think I saw your listings on eBay. I might have been interested in at least one of the lenses if I hadn't just purchased...something else.

Hi Gordon
Brave move . . . I'm not 'professional' but I do weddings professionally on occasion, but I'm not as brave as you, and I've kept my full frame dSLR, even though it sits in a corner most of the time. I hope you get as much reward from your M9 as I still do from mine - it isn't just the image quality, but shooting those tense 'getting ready' bits, a big SLR makes one stick out like a sore thumb; somehow an M9 makes one disappear into the shadows.

all the best

Oooooooh lummy! very brave but i think if you spend a bit of time getting used to how it all works, you will get some awesome images! You're a lucky man (and brave! :D)

Hi Gordon,

I'm an amateur with 10 kg Nikon stuff and a lovely Pen E-P2 which brought me back into colour photography. I'm not a Leica fanboy, neither analog nor digital but one message I want to tell you. Digital Leicas will come and go, but you MUST get at least one Leica lens for this special drawing they deliver. Based on your preferences for 50 or 35mm a Summicron should be in your bag. Don't get me wrong, Voigtlander lenses are fine in terms of price ./. quality and I'm shooting with them in 21mm Color Skopar and had a 35mm f2.5 pancake, but to be honest, a Leica glass has it's magic and this will be recognized by customers, believe me......

So it might be smart to add from time to time one piece in your favourite length (for me it was 35mm in analogue), it shouldn't be the very expensive aspherical versions which draw mostly brutally sharp and analytical.....

Another important fact is, that contrary to Nikon or Canon DSLRs, the digital Leicas are very sensitive for the slightest off in terms of RF adjustment. You can't do this as with the big two in the menues, you'll need some knowledge and an allen key. In case of front- or backfocus and the trace of reasons, Leica won't help you with third party lenses. Believe me, a digital Leica M is a nervous horse to ride on......
Have fun with your new cam and post pics, please....

Cheers
Bernd

Back