Oh, SNAP!

I see, Romi. I've tried an EM-5 for a while but returned to APS-C, mainly because of my legacy glass and the lack of focus peaking (or something more sophisticated).
On my side I'm primarily shooting projects or series that are related to my job. I've been working on some of them for more than 30 years and I guess this will go on until I draw my last breath. Most of that stuff is done from a tripod at base ISO in natural light and I actually could shoot a good percentage of them with a serious compact like the X10. Then there is the old fart who constantly reminds himself what cameras used to be like before it all turned digital. Before I switched to Nikon and the Blad more than 30 years ago I was in love with my OM1 & 2 (still have some old OMs in a box somewhere). I posted that too somewhere else before but so what. My ideal digital camera would be something like an OM1, 2 or even 4 (spot metering) with a top notch 16 or 24MP FF sensor. No AF, LCD, menus, .... just the original controls, a sensor, a battery/SD card slot, everything else in PP. What about that?
Regarding something like 'street' or 'life' photography the X10 [RAW] gives me almost everything I was able to get from Tri-X back in the day and far more. Of course the files are different but not worse in any way except for some EXR related artifacts, but there are ways to deal with them. See my point? It's good enough for a lot of what I shoot and I've never been much of a shallow DOF shooter anyway. No doubt larger sensors have their advantages but they can spoil us. Arik Brauer, an Austrian painter once said that if you fall in love with structures (details) you're lost as a painter and I guess I have an idea what he was pointing at.
So gear wise, I'm sort of OK with the chaos I have right now, no more, no less, but my dream rig is a different, no-nonsense story.

i like that bit from Arik Brauer. and i've got an OM10 lying around somewhere.

i always thought the E-M5 had focus peaking. i could be wrong. my GX7 delivered a day early. focus peaking seems much better on it than with the Fujis. i forgot what it was like working around a mode dial. i'll always love the manual dials more than anything else. Fuji wins with controls all the way. even handling. the grip on this GX7 sites feel good and better than the one on the X-E2. but i still need a thumb grip. even on film cameras, i always used the advance lever for my thumb. the Lensmate thumb grip for the X-E2 seems to work great.

i think the features of this camera make it worth it especially at the lower price irr for (Japanese market version). i'm just bummed about it only having the PAL framerates for video which i wanted to take advantage of. i really wanted that 60p for some slowmo which my BMPCC cannot do.

the AF is amazing.. -4 EV over the -2 EV if the EOS 1Dx. and its fast, and faster in daylight. not much hunting, and the MSC lens is quiet. this would really help in street photography. i was never into touchscreen, but this (even better than the limited touchscreen functions of the Olys) allows me to flip the screen up, compose, touch & capture, and nobody ever sees me put my finger on the shutter button. this little guy does have a pretty loud shutter though. louder than my Fujis. but if i'm not capturing too much movement, electronic shutter is doable.

i still have a lot more to go through to customise my custom settings. i didn't get to play with it too much, since my allergies got real bad.

but here's a pic...

View attachment 23372

btw, check out this very basic "world's first true digital rangefinder" coming out...

Konost Hopes to Launch 'The World's First True Digital Rangefinder'

Last edited by a moderator:
the AF is amazing.. -4 EV over the -2 EV if the EOS 1Dx. and its fast, and faster in daylight. not much hunting, and the MSC lens is quiet. this would really help in street photography. i was never into touchscreen, but this (even better than the limited touchscreen functions of the Olys) allows me to flip the screen up, compose, touch & capture, and nobody ever sees me put my finger on the shutter button. this little guy does have a pretty loud shutter though. louder than my Fujis. but if i'm not capturing too much movement, electronic shutter is doable.
Darn AF. I missed two great shots last year because silly me forgot to switch the Fujis back into MF mode where they belong and sometimes half a second is all we have. As to touchscreens (or the Konost), no thanks from this old fart but I sure like flippy screens.

Sorry to hear about your allergies, mine ruined the better part of my youth but nowadays there are ways to get rid of them pretty quickly and for good.

Great thread! Loving it!

I think the GX7 does not have an electronic only shutter option like the GM5 or the LX100. So max shutter is 1/8000. Unless there's been a firmware upgrade.

GX7 has 1/8000 e-shutter with max high iso 3200, but it is the slower readout compared to GM1/5, so you get better dynamic range, but worse rolling shutter. GM1/5 have faster 10 bit readout with hardly any rolling shutter effects, but you loose approx half a stop compared to GX7...

Great thread! Loving it!

I think the GX7 does not have an electronic only shutter option like the GM5 or the LX100. So max shutter is 1/8000. Unless there's been a firmware upgrade.

Back