OK it's December, time for seasonal images.

Nothing spectacular, but running around all day today getting ready for roadtrip tomorrow... at about 4:00 PM the sky was spectacular... low clouds reflecting salmon and blue. Walked out into the middle of a Connecticut cornfield and snapped this.

p528916937-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great shot woof.

Do you need permission from the land owner over there to jump the fence and take a shot? If someone walked onto my farm here and did that without contacting me I'd be mighty peeved and would give them a right serve.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not passing judgement - just interested to see how laws compare.

If people are obviously doing no damage we wouldn't be worried about them on our farm in England. In fact as long as they keep off the crops and dogs on a lead in fields with livestock they are pretty much welcome to go where they want. Some farmers might still insist they keep to the public rights of way which criss cross the English countryside including most farmland.

Great shot woof.

Do you need permission from the land owner over there to jump the fence and take a shot? If someone walked onto my farm here and did that without contacting me I'd be mighty peeved and would give them a right serve.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not passing judgement - just interested to see how laws compare.

you don't take snaps round here (N Dorset) near any farm buildings without provoking suspicion or even running the risk of a aggressive response ... farm theft is a big problem ...

Sam,

This is called Three Rivers Park. It's public land. "We" allow it to be farmed by a local farmer. All kinds of things held here... from Civil War Re-enactments to Haunted Hay Rides (given by the farmer...) Three rivers run through this land and converge at a certain point, and I take my sons trout fishing here...

No fence to jump, No trespassing,

But to answer your question, laws are no different here. Trespass is Trespass. I grew up on 150 acres. The biggest issue was hunters crossing the fence in spite of the postings. I would not blame you for being peeved, but I'd never jump your fence. Might lean on it long enough to get a shot.

I've asked permission in some cases where something was compelling. It is usually either a farm's junkyard or one of their barns. Every farm has a junkyard and sometimes there is some neat stuff to be seen. Some of those shots have been published locally.

Kind regards, and with respect,

woof!

Looks spectacular to me, Seaain!

retow - lovely steam rising.... and yes, Heather your image of simplicity with the red star and lights is very touching and lovely, I agree with Pete.

If people are obviously doing no damage we wouldn't be worried about them on our farm in England. In fact as long as they keep off the crops and dogs on a lead in fields with livestock they are pretty much welcome to go where they want. Some farmers might still insist they keep to the public rights of way which criss cross the English countryside including most farmland.

Thanks Will,
We don't have "public right of way" access onto private land here so that it is a new concept to me.

Sam,

This is called Three Rivers Park. It's public land. "We" allow it to be farmed by a local farmer. All kinds of things held here... from Civil War Re-enactments to Haunted Hay Rides (given by the farmer...) Three rivers run through this land and converge at a certain point, and I take my sons trout fishing here...

No fence to jump, No trespassing,

But to answer your question, laws are no different here. Trespass is Trespass. I grew up on 150 acres. The biggest issue was hunters crossing the fence in spite of the postings. I would not blame you for being peeved, but I'd never jump your fence. Might lean on it long enough to get a shot.

I've asked permission in some cases where something was compelling. It is usually either a farm's junkyard or one of their barns. Every farm has a junkyard and sometimes there is some neat stuff to be seen. Some of those shots have been published locally.

Kind regards, and with respect,

woof!

Cheers Woof,
My main reason for asking apart from the obvious (theft, damage etc) is that the laws have got that ridiculous here now that we, as a landowner, can be sued by a trespasser if they injure themselves on our land. Don't get me wrong though, I am happy for people to use our land with permission as we can give them a run down on all the risks they face and make sure they have their own insurance. People use our farm for motor bike riding, hunting, wood cutting, bush walking, horse riding as well as a take off point for hang gliding.

Anyway, I won't hijack this thread any longer.
Have a great Christmas everyone, Santa came last night so the lads are very excited.

Ooo, very trippy, Will - love the decorative lines emanating from the star!

It's great to see such different December views from around the world.

Bill, I think I could go for an Aussie style Christmas pretty easily.:D

Back