Okay, what is with the "Media" button on the top navigation?

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
I get notifications that so-and-so has "added the media item . . . ."

Are these items that do not otherwise appear in posts? Or perhaps they are uploaded through some means that is not normally used.

I don't understand the significance.

Please note: this is not a complaint in any way about the media items themselves . . . I simply don't understand why we're getting special notification about them.

Cheers, Jock

This might be it, although I don’t know how to see which albums or categories I am following.
This is from the preferences page (after changes)
267F0869-12D4-4D03-B8D4-F322C0C5F8EB.jpeg

What I wonder is why the Media alerts exist at all. After all, we get alerts regarding the threads that we have subscribed to, and if we start a thread, we will get alerts regarding any activity on it.

I click on the media button, all the media that I see are still shots, which doesn't make them remarkable in type . . . particularly on this forum. Sooner or later, an answer will appear.

Cheers, Jock

What I wonder is why the Media alerts exist at all. After all, we get alerts regarding the threads that we have subscribed to, and if we start a thread, we will get alerts regarding any activity on it.

I click on the media button, all the media that I see are still shots, which doesn't make them remarkable in type . . . particularly on this forum. Sooner or later, an answer will appear.

Cheers, Jock
@Kevin any ideas?

Just to make sure I'm looking at the right thing, what's the exact "notification" you guys are referring to. Just the little red bubble in the navigation bar or alerts or notifications being pushed to you in your browser and/or device?

Anybody able to grab a screenshot so I can see one of these in action and track it down? Personally I see the little red bubble in the menu bar but I don't get any alerts or push notifications about anything in the media/gallery section.

and I just added a photo via that Media "interface"...so maybe I triggered some new notifications so someone can get a screengrab of what it is doing on their end. I do not get notifications......other than that red number that shows how many new media items have been added since I viewed them all (or marked them as viewed).

Here’s one...
Thanks, I see it's an actual alert (which, if you have the option turned on) would result in a push notification as well. I can't check myself until I'm back on my personal machines (at the office today) but can you make sure you aren't "watching" that category in the Media/Gallery section?

If you go to https://cameraderie.org/media/categories/member-galleries.4/ and check the top of the screen above the thumbnail previews, do you see the word "watch" or "unwatch"?
  • If you see "unwatch" click it and that'll stop your account from watching the category. It's possible you watched the category a long time ago but because the Media/Gallery section is barely used, combined with the newer style of Alerts & push notifications in XF2, then seeing alerts from that section is now distracting.
  • If you see "watch" then I really need to poke around to see what's generating those alerts for some of you guys. :eek:

1564598183833.png

Thanks, I see it's an actual alert (which, if you have the option turned on) would result in a push notification as well. I can't check myself until I'm back on my personal machines (at the office today) but can you make sure you aren't "watching" that category in the Media/Gallery section?

If you go to https://cameraderie.org/media/categories/member-galleries.4/ and check the top of the screen above the thumbnail previews, do you see the word "watch" or "unwatch"?
  • If you see "unwatch" click it and that'll stop your account from watching the category. It's possible you watched the category a long time ago but because the Media/Gallery section is barely used, combined with the newer style of Alerts & push notifications in XF2, then seeing alerts from that section is now distracting.
  • If you see "watch" then I really need to poke around to see what's generating those alerts for some of you guys. :eek:

View attachment 202950
I'm certainly seeing "watch".

Barrie

Back