Stroll Old apple varieties in an old orchard

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
My landlord, Graham, who formerly farmed the land following in the footsteps of his father and uncle still maintains the old award winning cider orchard attached to the farm, replanting any windblown or dead trees with new ones of similar old varieties. He's just started labeling them so now I know what some of them are.

Adam's Permain-1040838.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
BarrieBarrie
Adam's Permain,
introduced in 1826 and popular in Victorian Britain, I'm looking forward to trying this one.

Charles Ross-1040833.JPG

Charles Ross, first introduced in the 1860's, I can testify that this is an excellent eating apple.

Evereste  Crab-1040834.JPG

Evereste crab, at less than 25mm (1") in diameter one wonders what these were used for, perhaps they were just ornamental, I seem to remember this tree smothered in blossom in the spring.

Payhembury-1040835.JPG

Payhembury, as a sharp apple this is primarily a cider apple but can be cooked.

Pitmason-1040839.JPG

Pitmason, a very old variety having been introduced in the 1780's. With an aroma of pineapple I'm very much looking forward to tasting one of these.

Unknown-1040831.JPG

Graham ran out of marking tape so I don't know what this one is, yet. It might be another Pitmason although there are only a few duplicates.

Unknown-1040832.JPG

Shame to let them go to waste.

Barrie

The University of Stuttgart (in Hohenheim) has an orchard where they have planted one specimen of each apple tree variety our forefathers were fond of and which we loved in our childhood. Their aim is to keep all the seeds alive for future generations and to make people aware of the richness of taste and the good resistance against most parasites which the agro-industry apples have lost.

I may be able to help you there. My mother's apple trees have been very prolific this year, as a result of which I seem to have eaten very little that wasn't apple-based in the last month. We have buckets of apples in the porch and the laundry room and our freezer is rammed with frozen apple puree. I live in fear of our neighbours turning up on the doorstep with yet more of them.

Frankly, I would be quite happy not to see another apple this side of Christmas.

So ... we have surplus apples, if you want any.

-R

I may be able to help you there. My mother's apple trees have been very prolific this year, as a result of which I seem to have eaten very little that wasn't apple-based in the last month. We have buckets of apples in the porch and the laundry room and our freezer is rammed with frozen apple puree. I live in fear of our neighbours turning up on the doorstep with yet more of them.

Frankly, I would be quite happy not to see another apple this side of Christmas.

So ... we have surplus apples, if you want any.

-R
Lucky you!

Back