Leica Older Leica M Film Cameras

I probably should let one go and try biogon if i can made up my mind.
The early KMZ J-12's are faithful copies of the pre-war Biogon. My 1952 KMZ J-12 has Zeiss serial numbers on the inner fixtures. Mine was $60, but required a thicker shim to focus properly. Just like the J-3 and J-8- the J-12 is optimized for Russian cameras, needs to be adjusted for the Leica.

I have No experience with the Iberit lenses.

IMG_0134.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I have been happy with an M4-P, built in 1982 and a bargain " well at least for a Leica" just had it overhauled for 518$ and it is back to spec's. For the meter I use an app on my iPhone......and it's worked out well.

One final question: As I search for a 35mm lens to use on my M4 (which is still in transit), is it worth it to pay for for Leica glass vs. just going for a recent Voigtlander? I'm not asking what a collector might think. I'm talking users think about performance vs. value. One can pick up a Wetzlar Summicron in the $1500-2000 range, a Canadian Summicron in the $1000-$1500 range or a Voigtlander Ultron or Skopar in the $300-$700 range. I see no real price advantage in going fora Summarit - unless anyone knows where I can get a great deal.

One final question: As I search for a 35mm lens to use on my M4 (which is still in transit), is it worth it to pay for for Leica glass vs. just going for a recent Voigtlander? I'm not asking what a collector might think. I'm talking users think about performance vs. value. One can pick up a Wetzlar Summicron in the $1500-2000 range, a Canadian Summicron in the $1000-$1500 range or a Voigtlander Ultron or Skopar in the $300-$700 range. I see no real price advantage in going fora Summarit - unless anyone knows where I can get a great deal.

Purists will say Leica. There are many good M lens, say Summaron 35/2.8 previously mentioned. But playing with these old lens can be a hit or miss due to aging and sample variation. You needs patience hunting them.

Ultron is a very good lens to start with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the 35/2.8 Summaron- sold it.

The LTM Ultron 35/1.7- would be my choice. I also have the 35/1.2 Nokton.

35/1.7 Ultron

Had to replace my Ultron. My original, sold it at a great price to a forum member then stationed in Iraq, asked me to check out an M6 that he bought before shipping it to him. Asked what he would do for a lens... I took care of him.

I have an Ultron 35 1.7 LTM......along with M3DS and M4-P. Obviously frame lines with the M4. Sitting around is a Leica CL and a Minolta CLE....both in terrific working order...if anybody inclined.

the Ultron is a fabulous lens and have used on M240. As LTM, useful on Canon P.

Regarding the Iberit lenses: They've been out for some time; usually by now there would be a number on on-line reviews. But there aren't. Perhaps the distributor hasn't made the effort to get samples to the usual review sites.
There's one "hands-on" report where the author posted comparison images between the Iberits and the corresponding Voigtlander lenses. All you can really say about the pictures is that the Iberits appear to have less contrast then the Voigtlanders; they look a little pale and misty. He links to other photos on Flickr. To me, they look OK, but nothing special.
Here's the link: Quick hands-on review of the Handevision IBERIT lenses on a Leica M10 camera | Leica Rumors

There's very little information on the web, which is odd. The vast majority of the articles I found were just announcements that repeated the specs from the manufacturer.

So here's my opinion, which is based on almost nothing, and worth exactly what you paid for it: In the absence of any information, they're way too expensive for what they are. If they had brought out a 35 or 50mm f2.4 and asked $350 or $400 for it, I would have taken the risk and tried one out. But the 35mm f2.4 is $638, compared to the Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 at $409. or the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at $629. The Iberit 50mm f2.4 is $590. Voigtlander has discontinued its comparable lens, but Voigtlander 50mm f1.5s are available used for less.

The Iberits are physically big for their speed. There's a comparison picture that shows the Iberit 50 is about the same size as a current Leica Summilux f1.4 and the Iberit 90mm f2.4 about the same size as a Summicron 90 f2.

So my opinion is that there doesn't appear to be anything special about them that warrants their high price. I'll let someone richer than me risk the 6 or 7 hundred dollars, and maybe report on them. I'm more than willing to change that opinion if more information becomes available.

It would be interesting to test them- but I'm not buying one just to test.
I did that with the Lomography Jupiter-3+, but I'm a Sonnar fanatic. Tested it, loved it, did a write-up on it...have two of them now.
Same with the 7Artisans 50/1.1- it's a Sonnar, had to have one. At $369- easy decision. If the Iberits were priced in that range, I would try one out.

I already made the investment in a Sonnetar.....which is quite quirky but fun. A Voigtlander 50 1.5 is an extremely good lens for the price. It's bigger than a J8 and a Sonnetar....but it is a go to lens.

It would be interesting to test them- but I'm not buying one just to test.
I did that with the Lomography Jupiter-3+, but I'm a Sonnar fanatic. Tested it, loved it, did a write-up on it...have two of them now.
Same with the 7Artisans 50/1.1- it's a Sonnar, had to have one. At $369- easy decision. If the Iberits were priced in that range, I would try one out.

YOU have an internet presence, and a reputation. Ask Iberit for a review sample, just to see what happens. ;-)

I just realized that I have never posted a photo of my new-to-me M4. It arrived a few weeks ago. Again, built in 1967. The 35mm Summaron mounted on it is from 1965 and the 50mm Summicron next to it is from 1955. Just a quick-and-dirty shot with my Olympus Pen F in fading light...

PA210002.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back