Micro 4/3 Oly omd em-1 mk II vs Panasonic G95

lucien

Legend
Hi, I'm considering these 2 camera's. Does anyone have experience with 1 or both? Since the lens I'm inquiring about are pany lens. I might as well get 1 lens thrown in with the body for free. What is the performance like with both? Are they comparable? I already have the omd em 1 mark I

Thanks,

ps: Video is a non factor

Last edited:
NB: I haven't shot an Olympus EM1 series camera nor have I used the G95 at all.

First questions first: Have you used a Panasonic camera before?

The design and usability is a great bit different. Some prefer Olympus, other Panasonic. I prefer Panasonic's approach by a great margin. They employ some smart engineers. Olympus does too, of course, but apparently usability engineer wasn't a priority hire for their team.

EM1.2 is a flagship model but it's older. G95 is a newer camera but it's somewhat entry/mid level camera to begin with. Personally I think Panasonic's pricing is off. You can get the G9 for only a little bit more and it's a serious competitor to EM1.2 whereas G95 can only compete with price, if that.

Both cameras will handle M4/3 lenses from both manufacturers very well, no problem. Panasonic can sync "dual IS" when used with suitable Panasonic lenses but Olympus's stabilization is so great you don't worry about such things.

Hardware on the EM1.2 is better I believe. The Olympus IBIS is best in class. PDAF focus might be better when its quirks are learned. If you like your EM1.1 and tolerate the software in it then EM1.2 should be a great idea? And if you don't actually like Olympus's way of doing things you owe it to yourself to try a Panasonic camera. Might be a real eye-opener. 😎

I've owned and used both. IQ is comparable. E-M1 II seemed to have the sturdier build, although the G95 is not fragile. UI is a matter of preference; menus are very different, but once the SCP is set up on the Olympus, going into the menus isn't a real trouble. Either would serve you well.

No I haven't but I had to learn the oly menu and nikon's menu and Pentax's menu. Shouldn't be that hard. Yes dual stabilization is a plus. And the lens I'm looking at are pany lens. The G9 Is something I will look into It's a bit out of my budget at this moment. The G9 that is

thx,

Thanks Tony your post came in just before my first reply. What do you think know about the G9 as Mike mentioned.

I meant Scott:blush:

I specifically handled both of these in a shop side-by-side earlier this year when I was considering the two. Here's what I found: the G95 feels awkward in a way I can't even explain. It didn't fit my hand at all and the grip somehow doesn't inspire confidence, even though it's large. The EM1 Mk II? Perfection! It's the best-feeling M4/3 camera I've held, and most reassuring build quality.

I'm more of a Panasonic guy than an Olympus but I had very strong feelings on the ergonomics of these two. Their output will both be excellent. The G95 has that sweet L Monochrome D black and white mode. But no one ever complains about Olympus colors.

Last edited:
I come from a Nikon background and I found the handling, usability and interfaces an easier transition to Olympus than Panasonic.

I own both the EM1.1 and EM1.2 The EM1.2 is one of the nicest feeling "small" cameras I've ever handled. The grip just feels tailor made to my hand.

As others have said, IQ is probably a wash between the 2 so handling and interface will be the biggest things that will sway a decision, IMHO.

I specifically handled both of these in a shop side-by-side earlier this year when I was considering the two. Here's what I found: the G95 feels awkward in a way I can't even explain. It didn't fit my hand at all and the grip somehow doesn't inspire confidence, even though it's large. The EM5 Mk II? Perfection! It's the best-feeling M4/3 camera I've held, and most reassuring build quality.

I'm more of a Panasonic guy than an Olympus but I had very strong feelings on the ergonomics of these two. Their output will both be excellent. The G95 has that sweet L Monochrome D black and white mode. But no one ever complains about Olympus colors.
thanks, but the oly in question is the em 1 mark II not the em5 mark II.

I come from a Nikon background and I found the handling, usability and interfaces an easier transition to Olympus than Panasonic.

I own both the EM1.1 and EM1.2 The EM1.2 is one of the nicest feeling "small" cameras I've ever handled. The grip just feels tailor made to my hand.

As others have said, IQ is probably a wash between the 2 so handling and interface will be the biggest things that will sway a decision, IMHO.
I think I have to make a trip to the camera store and hold both of these in my hand, as part of the basis for my decision

Pardon, that should be EM1, my phone thought it knew better than me and corrected to EM5 because I own the EM5II and probably write about it more often! I'll edit the OP too.

You can get the grip that puts the extra shutter release on the EM5 II to make it better in the ergo department. What you still miss out though on the EM5, even compared to the EM1.1 is the PDAF focusing for AF-C.

Not sure of the improtance of that to some people...but could be a critical factor.

It's interesting to read about other people's appreciation of the Olympus E-M1 mk2...
To me it always felt "just right" when I picked it up - but I didn't have enough similar cameras to compare against... (I certainly don't get that feeling from my D750 :-D )
The old Olympus E-1 feels similarly comfortable, even though it's much bigger

I think it could be in large part due to the nice molded thumb rest area on these Olympus bodies?

It's interesting to read about other people's appreciation of the Olympus E-M1 mk2...
To me it always felt "just right" when I picked it up - but I didn't have enough similar cameras to compare against... (I certainly don't get that feeling from my D750 :-D )
The old Olympus E-1 feels similarly comfortable, even though it's much bigger

I think it could be in large part due to the nice molded thumb rest area on these Olympus bodies?

The Fuji X-S10 can be surprisingly like the Oly E-M1 for ergonomics.

Back