Micro 4/3 Olympus 12-100/4 Pro: Flexibility vs Portability

What’s your experience with the Olympus 12-100?

• Never Owned It/Not Interested

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Never Owned It/Interested

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Owned It/Sold It

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Own It/Rarely Use It

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Own It/Use It Often

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Own It/Never Leaves My Camera

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
Well shoot, I have a Canon 15-85mm lens, which gives equiv 24-136 on my APS-C Canon 80D. It's slightly heavier than the 12-100 and has a lot less focal range. So that's what even APS-C gets you. So yeah, the 12-100 is a good size for its reach and supposed to be great IQ too (but both these lenses are too heavy for my taste, but that's just me...)
Rich, back in my film days, my widest FL was 28mm and longest was 200mm. I had (still have) a Teleplus 2x macro focussing TC that's superb optically and was very expensive when new in about 1985 - around AUD $850, a small fortune in those days!

In those days, good quality lenses wider than 28mm EFL were a King's ransom.

So my 12-100 mFTs lens covers a greater EFL range than my native film lenses, and is far better optically. Add the 8-25 and 75-300, and I'm far better equipped than I have ever been.

Fascinating thread.

Firstly, I find it heartening as an example, to me at least, that strongly held views can be exchanged in a polite and informative manner.

Secondly, what an insight it provides into the rich variety of approaches to our shared interest, or dare I say passion, for photography.

Thirdly, the number of lenses mentioned is proof, if such were needed, that the choices available to us as M43 users bears testament to the flexibility of the format.

Fourthly, this entire thread will be rendered academic when OMS eventually release the adamantium housed, 16 stop stabilised, space vacuum proofed, 3 - 1000mm f1.1 Pro+ pancake lens. Personally, I can’t wait.

Fascinating thread.
Quite, Mark.
Firstly, I find it heartening as an example, to me at least, that strongly held views can be exchanged in a polite and informative manner.
You and me both. I was a regular on DPR for about 13 years (why? ... ).
The exact opposite applied there ...
Secondly, what an insight it provides into the rich variety of approaches to our shared interest, or dare I say passion, for photography.

Thirdly, the number of lenses mentioned is proof, if such were needed, that the choices available to us as M43 users bears testament to the flexibility of the format.
Agreed. Even my old FTs 14-54 MkII is stunning on my E-M1 MkI. I used it as my walkabout lens for several years on that camera, and for 6 years on my E-30.
Fourthly, this entire thread will be rendered academic when OMS eventually release the adamantium housed, 16 stop stabilised, space vacuum proofed, 3 - 1000mm f1.1 Pro+ pancake lens. Personally, I can’t wait.
Exactly. :rofl: :ROFLMAO: .
That lens will also be available in Unobtainium, at an extra cost, of course.

I'm very happy with the results I get from my recently acquired Oly 12-100, it's definitely not too heavy. I'm using it as an out and about lens for around town and local travel. Haven't felt restricted at all for any daytime or evening shooting, and even under the seasonal Christmas lights. I hope to do some auto traveling over the next snow-free season (some call it summer). I plan to carry the Oly 12-100 and a 100-400 as they are so complementary for landscape and wildlife where weight is not an issue. I'll add the 9-18 for u/w and a 25 for nighttime, caves and such.

This a shot through my bedroom window a few nights ago around 3:30 am with just light from a streetlight about 100 feet away to the right, using the Oly 12-100 handheld. I was impressed as neither the viewfinder nor the back screen showed any image, just black, kind of just point and pray shot. I used zone focus. The lens and camera were pushed beyond the limits; but they did an admirable job. I do see a couple of hot pixels on the left side of the frame.

1672802978472.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice shot! It looks VERY much like an infrared image to me.
I agree, my assessment as well. It was a bugger to find the focus I did in the poor light. I focused with the convenient manual focus ring, but the markings end at 10 feet and the hard stop on infinity isn't all that accurate at f4 and 80 feet distance. It's not something I'll probably do again, only as an experiment, I'd probably better use a 25mm-f1.7 that would be brighter and might show something in the viewfinder. No more shooting black cats in a coalbin!

I agree, my assessment as well. It was a bugger to find the focus I did in the poor light. I focused with the convenient manual focus ring, but the markings end at 10 feet and the hard stop on infinity isn't all that accurate at f4 and 80 feet distance. It's not something I'll probably do again, only as an experiment, I'd probably better use a 25mm-f1.7 that would be brighter and might show something in the viewfinder. No more shooting black cats in a coalbin!

Maybe you can try the "night vision" option.
I only played with it once, so I don't really know how it works.

Well shoot, I have a Canon 15-85mm lens, which gives equiv 24-136 on my APS-C Canon 80D. It's slightly heavier than the 12-100 and has a lot less focal range. So that's what even APS-C gets you. So yeah, the 12-100 is a good size for its reach and supposed to be great IQ too (but both these lenses are too heavy for my taste, but that's just me...)

I had the 15-85 and used it with a Canon 7D. It was my favorite walk-around lens for my APS-C system. However, while wearing that burden on a hot humid summer day in Honolulu, I met up with my friend toting an EM5 w/12-50. That convinced me to switch. Haven't looked back.

The 7D+15-85 is 1,435 g. The OM-1+12-100 (24-200 mm eFOV) is 1,160 g. So even though considerably heavier and larger than the EM5+12-50 my friend had (and I bought), it's still 275 g (0.6 lb) lighter than the Canon combo with a considerably wider range. And, the OM System combo is weather-sealed. I don't think the 15-85 was. The OM-1 and 12-100 is a winner.

7D vs OM1.jpg

I had the 15-85 and used it with a Canon 7D. It was my favorite walk-around lens for my APS-C system. However, while wearing that burden on a hot humid summer day in Honolulu, I met up with my friend toting an EM5 w/12-50. That convinced me to switch. Haven't looked back.

The 7D+15-85 is 1,435 g. The OM-1+12-100 (24-200 mm eFOV) is 1,160 g. So even though considerably heavier and larger than the EM5+12-50 my friend had (and I bought), it's still 275 g (0.6 lb) lighter than the Canon combo with a considerably wider range. And, the OM System combo is weather-sealed. I don't think the 15-85 was. The OM-1 and 12-100 is a winner.

View attachment 380657
That's a mere 23.7% heavier ...

Back