Expired Olympus 35-S fixed-lens rangefinder, ex condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian

Product of the Fifties
A vintage Olympus Rangefinder, one that I did a flood-clean job on the shutter and cleaned the viewfinder. "It's feeling much better now". This camera is pretty, and an early full-frame 35mm camera from Olympus. The "Tower" symbol means it was sold through Sears. A piece of history.

Glass is clean, viewfinder/RF is clean. This camera features auto-parallax/ projected framelines. Push on cap (marked Ricoh) included. Paypal, personal check Okay. Shipping is not refundable.

$45 shipped within the US via priority mail, $50 to Canada via first-class International, $80 shipped outside the US via priority mail. If International First Class is preferred, price is $40+actual shipping. Shipping prices out of the US are "all over the place". If it is less than my estimates, I will refund difference. If it is more than my estimate, you win.

No samples with this camera. All functions "dry-checked" after the flood cleaning and viewfinder cleaning. I picked up two boxes of "need TLC" cameras as a gift after doing some lens work for an RFF member. The Three Canonets that I sold here were from those boxes as well, not film checked before putting up.

This particular camera- checked the shutter at all speeds, sounds right. With print film, latitude of film covers these mechanical shutters.

This camera is uncommon, and a check of Ebay prices- a broken one that would be a great paperweight is priced above $70, without shipping.

I once read an interview with an Olympus rep who said they were an optical engineering company who made cameras 'on the side'. As a happy owner of an Oly 35SP, and a former owner of an XA and a 35RD (WHY did I let that one go ?!?), these little Oly 35's are usually over-engineered gems, better built than the typical Electro 35 or Canonet (I have both), on a par with the Konica Auto S cams. If you've never owned on of these fixed-lens 35's, THIS one is a great place to start !

Joey Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back