Micro 4/3 Olympus 40-150R Lens Question

Hawkfan

Rookie
So I just bought a used 40-150R lens off fleabay for $70. Silver lens to match my silver M53. Looks in very nice condition. It does have an issue when zooming out in that when it reaches around 70mm the barrel will noticeably slow/bind. At that point and further it is not a smooth zoom out. It tends to kind of slow/stick. Also it is not possible to dial in say exactly a 75mm. It will do 74 and then to 78 but you can not dial in between those. It also will do the same say you can dial in 82 but then to 85 and 92 etc. You can't dial in 86, 87, 88 etc. And behaves like that from that point into higher end. Is this to be expected of this cheaper lens?
Anyone with one have the same experience.

So I just bought a used 40-150R lens off fleabay for $70. Silver lens to match my silver M53. Looks in very nice condition. It does have an issue when zooming out in that when it reaches around 70mm the barrel will noticeably slow/bind. At that point and further it is not a smooth zoom out. It tends to kind of slow/stick. Also it is not possible to dial in say exactly a 75mm. It will do 74 and then to 78 but you can not dial in between those. It also will do the same say you can dial in 82 but then to 85 and 92 etc. You can't dial in 86, 87, 88 etc. And behaves like that from that point into higher end. Is this to be expected of this cheaper lens?
I’ve owned 3 now (don’t ask), but none of them exhibited that behavior. Sounds like this one had a rough former life. I’d consider sending it back if possible, at least if that really bugs you.

While it is expected that this lens not be as smooth as say the pricier O40-150/2.8 or P 35-100/2.8, it should not bind like that. I had 3-4 different versions of the 40-150/4-5.6R and they all had a consistent flow from 40 all the way through 150.

:D well, I only had one of them, really liked it. It worked great, well above it's price tag. But no binding issue.
(now I have the Nikon equivalent DX 50-250, like these kind of lenses)

I bought a used copy of the R recently, and it doesn't stick on me either. I'm still trying to decide how much I'll use it, but for the $75 I paid for it (with a hood, even), I probably won't get rid of it.

My mate bought a FTs 11-22 with that problem. Olympus Oz said that the zoom thread had been damaged, probably by an externally undetectable drop. Not worth repairing. The USA seller refunded him, and sent him another lens gratis for the trouble.

Mine is perfectly smooth (considering its price ... i.e. not 12-100 smooth).

However, the FL 'skipping' in 3 or 4 mm increments is normal for this lens, and many others.

My copy gets slightly more sticky at 70mm too... nothing that concerns me but it is noticeable. I also find getting an exact focal length to be hit and miss, but I'm happy with all this for it's price-to-performance ratio.

Just like you I have a 12-45/4 and I'm using the 40-150R as sort of "stop gap" while I decide whether a 12-100/4 or the 40-150/4 would best suit my needs... and if they're worth the money to me for the use they'd get.

The skipping of intermediate focal lengths on the EVF/rear display is normal on any lens. It’s a function of the camera not the lens and is the same for all Olympus/OMD cameras.

Allright all, I returned it. Seller offered half off the $70 to keep it. Perhaps I should half kept it for the $35 but honestly I was not impressed by the build. And it really was sticky. At this point I am sincerely pondering whether my needs dictate the range of the 40-150range. Fortunately I am able to purchase the Pro4 and I think I may go that route at some point though at this point I'm not even sure if my shooting really needs the 40-150 range anyway.

Allright all, I returned it. Seller offered half off the $70 to keep it. Perhaps I should half kept it for the $35 but honestly I was not impressed by the build. And it really was sticky. At this point I am sincerely pondering whether my needs dictate the range of the 40-150range. Fortunately I am able to purchase the Pro4 and I think I may go that route at some point though at this point I'm not even sure if my shooting really needs the 40-150 range anyway.
The 40-150 pros have an advantage is in near-macro work. The relatively close MFD makes it great for flowers, butterflies, etc. it can also be a handy distant landscape lens and candid people shooter.

@Herbert Hound You and I are in the exact same situation. I am also thinking the 12-100 would do it, BUT like you, I already have the 12-45Pro and that lens is a killer. I really would not want to ditch it. Oh the dilemma.:confused:
It's a good choice to have... but there's also the "options paralysis" that that makes it so difficult. I do a lot of photography while I'm out walking Tufnell the Hound so having a small, light and top quality lens like the 12-45/4 is great for me as lens changing is a pain. Spending around £1000 on a lens (either the 12-100/4 [size and weight] or the 40-150/4 [lens swap]) to use when I'm walking on my own seems a bit of a luxury that I can't really justify at the moment. I shall put off the decision until the Spring.

I bought a used copy of the R recently, and it doesn't stick on me either. I'm still trying to decide how much I'll use it, but for the $75 I paid for it (with a hood, even), I probably won't get rid of it.
I also have a copy of the R, and it doesn't bind. it's not really an expensive lens and it's very sharp. There will be bad copies out there I guess. And yours was used.

My copy gets slightly more sticky at 70mm too... nothing that concerns me but it is noticeable. I also find getting an exact focal length to be hit and miss, but I'm happy with all this for it's price-to-performance ratio.

Just like you I have a 12-45/4 and I'm using the 40-150R as sort of "stop gap" while I decide whether a 12-100/4 or the 40-150/4 would best suit my needs... and if they're worth the money to me for the use they'd get.
why repeat the same focal? Just go all the way to 150, with the 40-150/4 . Then you have 12-150 f4. Just wondering.

why repeat the same focal? Just go all the way to 150, with the 40-150/4 . Then you have 12-150 f4. Just wondering.
I can probably say the exact thing Herbert Hound will say. It would eliminate lens swapping. I had already posted a thread on Micro 43 forum regarding all this so it's it is kind of redundant. If you own the 12-45Pro then your either looking at getting the 40-150Pro to further reach and swap lenses, or just sell the 14-45 and get the 12-100 and be happy with that. No easy answer. Just depends on if 100 is enough or you don't mind carrying two lenses. I already have the 75-300 for extreme long and that may be infact get used more then a 40-150. At that point I can really ponder spending the money on a 8-25 which may for me honestly get used more then the 40-150.

It's the lens swapping. The convenience of carrying one lens (albeit a big, heavy one) would certainty mean I wouldn't miss piccies because I couldn't be bothered to change lenses. Plus... this is Wales (almost) and it rains a lot here! One lens would be good.

Back