Olympus Announces Three New Pen Cameras and Two New Lenses

Amin

Hall of Famer
As expected, Olympus today announced 3 new Pen cameras, the E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1 as well as two new lenses, a 45mm f/1.8 portrait lens and a high grade 12mm f/2.

Full coverage at 1001 Noisy Cameras: Olympus launches three new M43rds cameras, two M43rds lenses, one new flash - 1001 Noisy Cameras

5887198574_c5901f8201_o.png

Boy, I do like a tilting screen...now that I've experience the one on the NEX.

Interesting that they have a built in flash on the E-P3 while there's a removable one on the other two. Of course the lenses sound excellent!

I wonder what the marketing strategy was for giving the EPL3 the tilt screen, but not to the "flagship" m4/3. Similarly, the EPL3 has faster continuos shooting than EP3.

If I were getting one of the new Pens, my pick would be a white EPL3 with the leather half case.

And the lenses are definitely pretty exciting stuff. Both lenses appear to be metal construction. The 45/1.8 is priced at $399 and the 12/2 is $799.

Armanius,

I'm wondering about the faster fps shooting too. The OLED, if its like the xz1 will be gorgeous. The E-pl3 has everything I'd ever want...... except a grip. I really thought the E-P3 would be significantly better than the lite version. It doesn't appear to be the case. One thing to note is on the flip screen, its 16:9. Losing a good bit of resolution when shooting 4:3. I also wonder if the difference in display tech is why there is a difference in shooting FPS.

Armanius,

I'm wondering about the faster fps shooting too. The OLED, if its like the xz1 will be gorgeous. The E-pl3 has everything I'd ever want...... except a grip. I really thought the E-P3 would be significantly better than the lite version. It doesn't appear to be the case. One thing to note is on the flip screen, its 16:9. Losing a good bit of resolution when shooting 4:3. I also wonder if the difference in display tech is why there is a difference in shooting FPS.

Hmmm ... not sure why having an OLED screen would affect the FPS?

Oly is apparently selling a nice looking leather half case that goes on the EPL3, which provides a small grip. Check out the pics in ephotozine.com (Olympus PEN Lite E-PL3 Hands On Preview) for the EPL3 with the leather half case. I think it's gorgeous!

I wonder what the marketing strategy was for giving the EPL3 the tilt screen, but not to the "flagship" m4/3. Similarly, the EPL3 has faster continuos shooting than EP3.

If I were getting one of the new Pens, my pick would be a white EPL3 with the leather half case.

And the lenses are definitely pretty exciting stuff. Both lenses appear to be metal construction. The 45/1.8 is priced at $399 and the 12/2 is $799.

Funny you say that, I just sold my GF1 with all accesories today to make room for the white EPl3 when it becomes available. The money I just made should cover it, now which lens would you reccomend?

I think these cameras from Olympus are a significant step forward for Micro 4/3 and a real commitment for Olympus in this sector. I'm really interested in looking at the E-PM1 as it looks like a XZ-1 but with interchangeable lens system. Looking forward to seeing these in our shop.

Oooh - GAS attack! I wrote a post a while ago saying that if the e-pl1 could add a higher-res screen, a tiltable screen and better ISO performance, that would be my dream camera. I think I have to put my money where my mouth is.

I can't believe that it was less than a year ago that I bought the e-pl1. Product cycles sure are short these days.

I'm glad that Olympus and Sony continue to push innovation forward!

Fortunately, the e-pl3 is not available immediately because although my camera GAS had abated, my apple gear had not .... I am a one week owner of a 27" iMac and have become "one of us, one of us". I am loving it as much as i thought i would.

Some useless information.

The E-PL3 uses a 16:9 widescreen that is 460,000 dots. If shooting in 4:3 mode, the amount of dots used would be around 344,000 dots. Better than my E-P1, but not great.

I pre-ordered the E-P3, but I like the swivel screen of the E-PL3. I also pre-ordered the 12mm lens. The E-P3 is one beautiful camera. I really like where Olympus is going with the system.

Several cameras going on the block in trade. Simplify and downsize.

I pre-ordered the E-P3, but I like the swivel screen of the E-PL3. I also pre-ordered the 12mm lens. The E-P3 is one beautiful camera. I really like where Olympus is going with the system.

Several cameras going on the block in trade. Simplify and downsize.

I'm almost at that point too. Thinking of selling all my Pentax gear in order to buy in to a decent MFT system. This last crop from Olympus have me convinced that PEN is the way to go.

Back