Olympus E-P5, Ricoh GR, Coolpix A, X100S... So many tempting new small cameras...

Amin

Hall of Famer
I've been tempted by this whole bunch of great new cameras, and today I decided to pull the trigger on.... a Sigma DP2 Merrill!

While they all look very appealing, the DP2M just gives me something which is more different than what I've already got. I've always found the image quality from the Merrill cameras to be stunning and can't wait to give it a go.

It's a great time to be a small camera buyer, isn't it?

i can totally understand your logic here. most of us have a couple of cams and look to the fixed lens compact segment for something 'different', and foveon will give you that. i am leaning to the oly xz-2 because the something different is the zoom and articulating touch, focus, fire screen. but im actually very tempted by the merrill dp3 because i think the 75mm fov in foveon will be very very cool. price will have to come down though for me to explore it.

i hope you enjoy the foveon and soon post some results!

And soon the GX2 is coming to make it even more confusing for buyers, lol.

The Merrills are something I would love to rent and try on long exposure urbex sometime. That's a slow, deliberate shooting style anyway and it might be interesting to try one.

Very cool Amin. I'm pretty fascinated by the Merrill's too. I've played with some of the raw files and they're truly amazing. I don't think they'd suit me very well as a day to day camera, but I'm going to try to borrow one for our trip to Italy - lots of scenery and great light. I'm gonna try for the DP1M though, the 2 is too narrow for me.

-Ray

If I shot in good light more often, I would probably need a Sigma. But most of my shots are taken when the lights get low. And the Sigma struggled and then my computer struggled with their crazy software. I have no doubt a techie like yourself will get the most of it. I'd love to think the GX2 will be perfect, but I've learned that camera companies are very good at NOT giving people what they want.

i can totally understand your logic here. most of us have a couple of cams and look to the fixed lens compact segment for something 'different', and foveon will give you that. i am leaning to the oly xz-2 because the something different is the zoom and articulating touch, focus, fire screen. but im actually very tempted by the merrill dp3 because i think the 75mm fov in foveon will be very very cool. price will have to come down though for me to explore it.

i hope you enjoy the foveon and soon post some results!

Yeah the dp3 75mm does seem interesting for the potential to stitch shots together into a super high res shot. Hey if you're using a dpm for ridiculous IQ, why not go all the way and add some more pixels to work with!

I am also trying to justify it to myself in that it would provide me a large sensor macro lens option that I currently lack as well...i mean thats like a 4-500$ value..

Once your eyes have witnessed a DP3m (or DP2M for that matter) file uploading on your screen Bayer sensor files will look mundane (maybe with the exception of the ones produced with the RX1). Don`t tell me I did not warn you:D

View attachment 6113

That's a great choice Amin. It's lasted as my favorite camera for 6 months now which must be a record for me. Apart from the quality of file (the following is a 25% crop) it is a very simple design in use with one touch to any setting needed. I look forward to seeing some photos.

Simon

Attachments

• 8315038016_e0c5491b5b_b.jpg
    8315038016_e0c5491b5b_b.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,315
Once your eyes have witnessed a DP3m (or DP2M for that matter) file uploading on your screen Bayer sensor files will look mundane (maybe with the exception of the ones produced with the RX1). Don`t tell me I did not warn you:D

That's beautiful. I am inspired to experiment more with B+W on the DP2M.

Simon

Back