Micro 4/3 Olympus E-PM1 Picture - from 43 rumors

My only disappointment is that all the soon-to-be announced PENs will almost definitely be using the same sensor as the E-P1. 43 Rumors says the sensor will be a "new Olympus 'tweaked' 12 Megapixel Sensor",!

Hmmm - Today's summary at 43 rumors emphasizes this is an *Olympus* designed sensor (it seems they have some experience in this going back some years) and not made by Panasonic at all ...

Quote from 43rumors.com from a reliable source:

"FT4) Source_1:
1. the grip is just that – a grip. but it will come in different sizes to support the longer lens.
2. the sensor is Olympus own – its not sharing anything with Panasonic.:)
3. there is a dedicated, zoom button for zooming in when you are in the green box mode? button location below the record button.
4. flash is remote trigger capable, but no free bounce like Olympus E-PL1.
5. the other two cameras will have bundled external flash that uses the hotshoe+accessory port.
6. the front of the new EPL looks EXACTLY like the Olympus XZ-1 (Click here to see that camera)
7. the 45mm is about as big as the new Panasonic-Leica 25mm f/1.4, maybe a bit more smaller in width"

The point 3 is interesting - sounds like that means zoom operation "compact-style" from the camera body? No wonder they're talking about improved battery life!

FT4 is not much better than a coin flip, and a bunch of folks including Thom Hogan have implied otherwise regarding the sensor. I still think this source could be referred to a modified sensor (eg, new AA filter) as a new sensor, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised! If Olympus makes its own great new sensor, that would be huge for the Micro 4/3 system.

As for the zoom button, I've been wondering for a long time about whether digital zoom might be the ticket for keeping noobs happy with a prime. Put an Oly 17mm lens on the camera and give them digital zoom. Most won't realize the difference between that and optical zoom.

I've been wondering for years why don't camera manufactures have modular grips. Considering how expensive cameras are and ergonomics can be make or break, it just makes sense to me.

Back