John King

Member of SOFA
Name
John ...
I have not been able to find a thread specifically for images from the (now) ancient E-PM2, so I will start one.

I'm sure that I am not the only person here who has one, and appreciates the strengths of this tiny gem. Please post shots from yours :) .

Mine arrived (second hand) a couple of days ago, and I have been fiddling with the settings, and taking a variety of test shots. The main lens for this body will be my 14-42 EZ with a JJC auto-opening lens cap. Jazzy little lens, and mine seems quite sharp enough in both the centre and corners. I have posted a few images from the lens elsewhere over my time here.

I have taken a number of test shots, using the above lens, and also my mFTs 40-150R and 12-100.

The IBIS of the E-PM2 leaves something to be desired. Perhaps describing it as "lousy" would be more accurate! A combination of the minute inertia of this tiny body, and the fact that it is the old three axis design, not the five axis IBIS that was used in the E-M5 MkI. Others have already remarked on that here. Suffice it to say, the IBIS is the same system as my E-510, and nowhere near as good. It is worse than the IBIS in my E-1, and the E-1 doesn't have IBIS ... ;) :rofl:.

It is interesting that the lens IS of the 12-100 gave me at least 4 stops of IS.

It requires changing one's holding technique, with thumb pressed solidly into the rear thumb rest, and fingers folded down the front grip, holding the camera with their sides, rather than 'pinching'. This seems to work pretty well for me.

Having said all that, the camera is like a gem. The ergonomics are far better than I was expecting, once I got out of the habit of trying to do things the same way as I do with my other five Olympi ...

It is very fast. The shutter goes THUNK (no electronic first curtain - doesn't help the IBIS ... ). Still, I bought it as a take everywhere, outdoor camera, and for that, none of these criticisms matter a fig.

On to imaging. Having the same sensor as the renowned E-M5 MkI gives it some serious credibility, and I have found this to be the case. Very decent IQ at ISO 1600, and quite respectable at ISO 3200 in poor light. Just noticeably better for both noise and DR than my E-M1 MkI at ISO 3200.

I will have to get an OTG (On The Go) dongle for my tablet, as I seem to have misplaced the one I already have. Just after buying another one, I will find the existing one ...

Anyway, here are some test images to kick the thread off.

The cats, on their wheat bags, and 'bluey' for any accidents.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20007_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ 42mm f/5.6 1/80s ISO 200

A friend.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20013_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.25mm F1.8 25mm f/5.6 1/100s ISO 3200

Friend's garden.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20014_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.25mm F1.8 25mm f/5.6 1/3200s ISO 3200

Seed bell for small parrots. They don't come anywhere near it ...

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20015_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ 42mm f/5.6 1/500s ISO 400

Indoors with 40-150R, using IBIS (what a joke!).

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20018_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R 150mm f/5.6 1/60s ISO 3200

Indoors with 12-100, using lens IS.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20022_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.12-100mm F4.0 100mm f/5.6 1/15s ISO 800

And another at 1/13th s @ 100mm using lens IS.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20024_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.12-100mm F4.0 100mm f/5.6 1/13s ISO 800

I'm certain that I will have more observations to make about this camera as I become more familiar with it.

Cross posted from that other place.

I found Olympus E-PM2 to be very versatile and capable travel camera. When browsing my travel pictures, I can't say why I decided I need more from travel camera. And my PM-2 is gone, long time ago already. When looking back, it's a pity I've spend so much money seeking "the perfect", although I must admit my Sony RX-100.4 serving as allrounder travel camera is pretty good. I can drop here couple of examples.

Kreikka Parga 282 E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.45mm F1.8.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have not been able to find a thread specifically for images from the (now) ancient E-PM2, so I will start one.

I'm sure that I am not the only person here who has one, and appreciates the strengths of this tiny gem. Please post shots from yours :) .

Mine arrived (second hand) a couple of days ago, and I have been fiddling with the settings, and taking a variety of test shots. The main lens for this body will be my 14-42 EZ with a JJC auto-opening lens cap. Jazzy little lens, and mine seems quite sharp enough in both the centre and corners. I have posted a few images from the lens elsewhere over my time here.

I have taken a number of test shots, using the above lens, and also my mFTs 40-150R and 12-100.

The IBIS of the E-PM2 leaves something to be desired. Perhaps describing it as "lousy" would be more accurate! A combination of the minute inertia of this tiny body, and the fact that it is the old three axis design, not the five axis IBIS that was used in the E-M5 MkI. Others have already remarked on that here. Suffice it to say, the IBIS is the same system as my E-510, and nowhere near as good. It is worse than the IBIS in my E-1, and the E-1 doesn't have IBIS ... ;) :rofl:.

It is interesting that the lens IS of the 12-100 gave me at least 4 stops of IS.

It requires changing one's holding technique, with thumb pressed solidly into the rear thumb rest, and fingers folded down the front grip, holding the camera with their sides, rather than 'pinching'. This seems to work pretty well for me.

Having said all that, the camera is like a gem. The ergonomics are far better than I was expecting, once I got out of the habit of trying to do things the same way as I do with my other five Olympi ...

It is very fast. The shutter goes THUNK (no electronic first curtain - doesn't help the IBIS ... ). Still, I bought it as a take everywhere, outdoor camera, and for that, none of these criticisms matter a fig.

On to imaging. Having the same sensor as the renowned E-M5 MkI gives it some serious credibility, and I have found this to be the case. Very decent IQ at ISO 1600, and quite respectable at ISO 3200 in poor light. Just noticeably better for both noise and DR than my E-M1 MkI at ISO 3200.

I will have to get an OTG (On The Go) dongle for my tablet, as I seem to have misplaced the one I already have. Just after buying another one, I will find the existing one ...

Anyway, here are some test images to kick the thread off.

The cats, on their wheat bags, and 'bluey' for any accidents.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20007_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ 42mm f/5.6 1/80s ISO 200

A friend.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20013_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.25mm F1.8 25mm f/5.6 1/100s ISO 3200

Friend's garden.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20014_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.25mm F1.8 25mm f/5.6 1/3200s ISO 3200

Seed bell for small parrots. They don't come anywhere near it ...

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20015_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ 42mm f/5.6 1/500s ISO 400

Indoors with 40-150R, using IBIS (what a joke!).

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20018_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R 150mm f/5.6 1/60s ISO 3200

Indoors with 12-100, using lens IS.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20022_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.12-100mm F4.0 100mm f/5.6 1/15s ISO 800

And another at 1/13th s @ 100mm using lens IS.

E-PM2_JAK_2021-_PM20024_Ew.jpg

E-PM2 OLYMPUS M.12-100mm F4.0 100mm f/5.6 1/13s ISO 800

I'm certain that I will have more observations to make about this camera as I become more familiar with it.

Cross posted from that other place.
I just picked on of these up recently as well and am impressed with the image quality.

However, I will second you your take on the IBIS, its not great and does require additional hand holding to tame this small camera.

I have found, that when I use my VF-3 and shoot in a more traditional style, there are more keepers and it seems I'm more steady.

Like you, I have chosen to use this as a grab-n-go camera when I don't want to pack a kit.

I just picked on of these up recently as well and am impressed with the image quality.

However, I will second you your take on the IBIS, its not great and does require additional hand holding to tame this small camera.

I have found, that when I use my VF-3 and shoot in a more traditional style, there are more keepers and it seems I'm more steady.

Like you, I have chosen to use this as a grab-n-go camera when I don't want to pack a kit.
Agree, William. I'm lousy at holding my mobile phone like this too.

While my post here is recent, I've had the camera for many months now. My enthusiasm for it hasn't dimmed. I would not want to use it as a primary camera, but it's great for the times when you don't really want to carry a camera.

I would certainly like a VF-3 or VF-4 for it, but they cost more than I paid for the body!

PB142364.jpg

double-exposure in camera
P4303165.jpg

..bought my e-pm2 in 2010 - after about two years intensive use CCD had to be replaced
by now it has become my only outdoor camera, because it looks a bit dated and people do not get scared by it
I use it with old glass exclusively, as I am used to set exposure and focus manually

The EPM2 was my main camera during 2016-2018 and I still use it. To me it is a little jewel. I took this in April 2016 with the 40-150R (both bought used for about $250, but I always used it with the VF-3 view finder). The image is a crop as shown.

_4243649_DxO-3TdccLM.jpg

Crop superimposed on uncropped image:
_4243649_DxO-3TM.jpg

Last edited:
The e-pm2 was my first mirrorless camera and my main camera from 2014-2018ish. Although I wish it had been weather sealed, as it’s small size made for a perfect hiking/climbing companion. Otherwise no complaints from me, and I treasure the images I captured with it while living in Colorado and California.
AA1D7B1A-0FCF-4E3E-B4A5-7A81E427A932.jpeg

Agree, William. I'm lousy at holding my mobile phone like this too.

While my post here is recent, I've had the camera for many months now. My enthusiasm for it hasn't dimmed. I would not want to use it as a primary camera, but it's great for the times when you don't really want to carry a camera.

I would certainly like a VF-3 or VF-4 for it, but they cost more than I paid for the body!
The more I look at all the photos it looks like I made a wise purchase. I've had the VF-3 for a while and could never part with it and glad I didn't it, it makes a world of difference and looks good on the camera to boot.

For $100 and with only 850 actuations, it was a bargain even in 2022.

I bought one, but couldn't get used to the controls (or lack of them) on the rear. My permanent camera in the car is now the E-P5, which is chunkier, but I prefer. Like @perthorup I prefer the little panny 12-32 to the Olympus EZ lens.
I wonder what the E-PM2 would be like if you turned the IBIS off, and relied on the Mega OIS of the 12-32 lens?

I wonder what the E-PM2 would be like if you turned the IBIS off, and relied on the Mega OIS of the 12-32 lens?
I haven't any experience with the Oly EZ, but I love the little 12-32, which I have quite a few of, they seem to give about 3-3,5 stops of leeway in the anti-shake dept.

I was actually a bit "shocked" about them being Mega OIS and not Power OIS, which was around when they came on the market. Not that I have given that any thought so far. :drinks:

From a 2016 trip to DC

DC-01.jpg
DC-02.jpg
DC-03.jpg
DC-04.jpg
DC-05.jpg
DC-06.jpg
DC-07.jpg
DC-08.jpg
DC-09.jpg
DC-10.jpg
DC-11.jpg

Back