Olympus large sensor compact?

Which fixed lens large sensor compacts are flying off the shelves? Sigmas, Sony, Fuji, Nikon?

To me this camera gets interesting in the $300 range. Above that the value just dies. Most consumers want zooms and the enthusiast market is already crowded with more expensive alternatives that are being heavily discounted.

Value depends on the perceptions of the buyer, and isn't the same for any two.

Which fixed lens large sensor compacts are flying off the shelves? Sigmas, Sony, Fuji, Nikon?

To me this camera gets interesting in the $300 range. Above that the value just dies. Most consumers want zooms and the enthusiast market is already crowded with more expensive alternatives that are being heavily discounted.

None of this stuff is or will be "flying off the shelves". We generally represent a niche market. Sales volume will not be huge.

Which fixed lens prime cameras do you see being heavily discounted? Maybe the Ricoh GR to some degree, but the X100S, Coolpix A and RX1 seem to be holding up OK. I think the manufacturers understand that patience is needed in that category.

....but I tell ya, nothing would make me happier than if I could pair the GR with a fixed 45mm-50mm version GR, Nikon A, Fuji X100 or RX1.

Oh Joe, we are on the same boat man. I still dont know why they havent come up with one "normal" FOV fixed camera.

sure i can get a system camera and put a fixed normal prime, but the cool thing is that fixed prime lens cams are compact and made for the sensor, you know, like the RX1 and GR, two unchallenged cameras for compactness and overall quality. Yes I should have said the x100 too, but the x100 is bigger than both the GR and RX1 which gets in the size limit of having a fixed prime/system camera to me.

I also wish an apsc/FF 40-50mm fov fast fixed compact. but i guess theres a long way for that.

Looks like it could be interesting. Most of upcoming purchases will probably be fixed lens compacts or lenses for my E-M5.

For a day of general shooting -- meaning big telephoto is not required -- a camera with a fixed lens matched perfectly to the sensor is a deeply satisfying photographic experience.

Back