Lens olympus lens

lucien

Legend
Hi, can I put Olympus om lens (legacy glass) on my micro 4/3's M1 mark I and have autofocus and everything? Will I need an adapter? Is it worth it?

thx, are there any adapters that will give auto focus? I also Nikon glass looking for auto focus esp the newer Nikon lens with built in motor? Am I dreaming? No meta bones stuff? I've read that there is a nikon converter that will allow Canon glass to autofocus on Nikon camera's. maybe the only case

Last edited:
The OM lens is a manual focus lens. No adapter can give it autofocus capability. It never auto focused back in the day on an OM camera, so it can’t do that now. Best you can do is a “dumb” adapter for $10 and use manual focus and manual aperture adjustments.

There are other adapters like what you mention, allowing Canon to autofocus on a Nikon for instance. But these are for autofocus lenses, where the autofocus motors are in the lens.

What Olympus

system was before Oly became micro four thirds? Didn't they have auto focus lens back then. Maybe I got the designation wrong. I'm looking for oly glass that was right before they went to micro 4/3. It was the 4/3's system. Do you mean all of the glass from then was manual focus? If so disregard.

thx,

@david. Yeah that's what I was asking about.

@ Rayvonn, I'm talking about the Fringer Canon EF to Nikon EZ adapter. Should have been more specific and you need a Z camera.

What Olympus

system was before Oly became micro four thirds? Didn't they have auto focus lens back then. Maybe I got the designation wrong. I'm looking for oly glass that was right before they went to micro 4/3. It was the 4/3's system. Do you mean all of the glass from then was manual focus? If so disregard.

thx,

@david. Yeah that's what I was asking about.
Ah, this makes much more sense. Yes, you can use brand name adapters from Olympus and I believe Panasonic, as well as no name adapters. I have no experience with either, however you will want to look for an MMF3 adapter. It will allow full functionality of an older Four Thirds lens on a m4/3 body. I’ll let others with direct experience chime in.

Yes 4/3 lenses work on m4/3 E-M1 mark I with the MMF3 adapter. I've seen it mainly discussed with the Olympus 50-200mm SWD, a wonderful lens by all accounts.

Lens adapters: Lens adapters work by taking advantage of differences in something called "Flange Distance".

Here is a WiKi link. But the attached image from the article might be enough. Adapters work by filling that space. DSLRs to mirrorless allowed for many options. This is one of the ways Sony was able to gain a lot of ground early on, adapters., DSLRs to DSLRs, not so much, some it's just not possible. Likewise mirrorless to mirrorless not so much. Whether or not the adapter is more than a dumb connector has to do with the amount of space and how open the specs are.

Attachments

• Flange_Focal_Length_(2_types_camera).PNG
    Flange_Focal_Length_(2_types_camera).PNG
    12.3 KB · Views: 148
will I get auto focus, aperture and all the exif data with the 4/3 lens too? And any recommendations 35mm? 50mm? and 18-?mm I have nikon to m42 and oly to nikon and those are manual. More interested in oly to oly 4/3 to m4/3

Thank you,

will I get auto focus, aperture and all the exif data with the 4/3 lens too? And any recommendations 35mm? 50mm? and 18-?mm I have nikon to m42 and oly to nikon and those are manual. More interested in oly to oly 4/3 to m4/3

Thank you,
Using Olympus 4/3 lenses on Olympus m43 bodies with phase detect AF works acceptably well. It works much less well with contrast detect m43 bodies. The autofocus motors on the older lenses are not as snappy as modern native lenses, so you have to adjust for that. To get perfect focus, you may have to calibrate the AF as well. I know there is a lot more info over on the m43 users forum (mu-43.com) on this topic and I recommend you search for more complete answers there.

edit: when people talk about OM legacy glass, they are usually talking about the older 35mm film lenses, which is a whole different thing.

Last edited:
thanks, I will head over there a little later. Is it worth it or just get some native glass? It's more of a novelty and looking for cheap glass than a necessity

thanks, I will head over there a little later. Is it worth it or just get some native glass? It's more of a novelty and looking for cheap glass than a necessity
Depends on the lens. The 50-200 can be found for under $500. The PanLeica eq or the Oly 40-150 with TC will set you back more than $1,000.

But unless you have a specific use case or just like to play with oled glass (nothing wrong with that) I've never really bothered. I think the only lens I every used adapted was the old Nikon 28-105 since it had a 1:2 macro option.

The 14-54/2.8-3.5 is a really nice standard zoom. The second version of the 50-200 was updated for contrast detect auto-focus. The E-M1 series bodies will use phase detect focus with 4/3 lenses. It's still on the slow side. Other bodies with contrast detect only can be hard on lenses designed for phase detection.

As previously mentioned there are a lot of threads about this at Mu-43

Unless you need to fill a gap that's not available in a native lens I don't think it's worth it any more. We have a lot of variety in native lenses at a lot of price points. If you're looking for lenses with an "interesting" look you won't find it with 4/3 lenses.

ok, curiosity didn't get to kill the cat. Thanks guys. I'll keep my eye on the fringer z thing for nikon mirrorless though. It has potential, everything will work. I think

Back