Fuji Olympus OM 100/2.8

kevistopheles

Top Veteran
For a long time I have tended to shy away for Olympus OM lenses. I had previously owned several 50/1.8 (MIJ versions), a 50/1.4, 100/2.8, 135/2.8, 28/2.8 and the much loved 24/2.8. They were all pretty good but none of them really wowed me. Of the ones I had the 50/1.4 and the 100/2.8 were my favorites. Recently I picked up a 28/3.5 and liked it a lot so when I came across a nice clean late model 100/2.8 I decided to give it go. I like how compact it is and I am finding it to be sharp with decent OOF areas. I don't think it's in the same class as my MC Rokkor 100/2.5 but it's a nice alternative when you want to go as compact as possible.

16163727670_a05a35d910_h.jpg

Open
by dixeyk, on Flickr

It is pretty sharp, if I recall correctly this was shot at 2.8.

I love Olympus lenses for Fuji X. Sadly it seems I am not alone, because they are starting to command silly money. I am on the lookout for a 35mm f2 but they are mostly silly money when they come up. My favourite at the moment is a 50mm f3.5 macro, which I also use on an OM2 Spot Program.

I love Olympus lenses for Fuji X. Sadly it seems I am not alone, because they are starting to command silly money. I am on the lookout for a 35mm f2 but they are mostly silly money when they come up. My favourite at the moment is a 50mm f3.5 macro, which I also use on an OM2 Spot Program.

i have used them on and off with the various mirror-less cameras I have owned. They have always delivered image wise but I find that the quality varies quite a lot sample to sample. Of course they can always find a home on my OM1n and 2n if they don't work out on the Fuji. ;)

The OM lenses are wonderfully compact and some of them have excellent image quality. That said, there are some OM lenses that I could never understand what the fuss was all about. The OM 24/2.8 was one such lens. I've had two of them and neither one managed to get much time on a camera. Instead I always preferred my Hexanon 24 or Minolta 24. Now I wouldn't mind picking up another later version OM. 50/1.4...I really like that lens.

16335214038_e952e6a188_h.jpg

Premature
by dixeyk, on Flickr

I am starting to like this lens more and more. The small size is very convenient (making it easier to handle when shooting at eye level) and I am liking the sharpness and the OOF areas are quite pleasant. It's a little lacking in contrast but that is easily remedied in post. I've never been a fan of longer FL adapted lenses but this might get me to use one more regularly.

I am starting to see why OM lenses have been getting more popular as of late. I am trying to pick up a multi-coated 50/1.4 as I had a lot of luck with one of those before. I may even look at a 24/2.8 further down the road although to be honest, the two OM24/2.8's I've had were pretty uninspiring so maybe I'll just sit tight with a 28/3.5.

Back