Fuji Olympus OM 50/1.4

kevistopheles

Top Veteran
16572462621_5af6d79d20_h.jpg

The Lure of Plastic
by dixeyk, on Flickr

I picked up an Olympus OM 50/14 recently and finally got a chance to get a few images. I like the way it feels over the OM 50/1.8 MIJ. It's not that much bigger but it is much more substantial. It close focuses a bit better and while the image is not my best work, I think the lens shows potential. It's a later multi-coated variety but the serial number is high 900K as opposed to the much sought after over 1.1 million. The lens appears to be sharper than the 50/1.8 and peaks a lot better on the XE1. It also appears to be a bit more contrasty (I assume that is why it peaks better).

This was one of those times when you grab and shoot before the moment passes...I think it's at f2 or f2.8.

16533365620_4525e2eaa0_h.jpg

Primavera
by dixeyk, on Flickr

I find myself resisting the urge to like this lens because I disliked the OM 24/2.8 so much but the reality os that sometimes despite our best efforts we end up getting a copy of a lens that for whatever reason just isn't very good. Of course when you feel like you got burned it's easy to paint all lenses from that same manufacturer as the same and nothing could be further from the truth.

This OM 50/1.4 is pretty good. Like all of my OM lenses the contrast is a little low (of course the lighting didn't help) but it does have a lovely rendering and it pretty darned sharp. This was shot @ f2.8. I think it has a nice dreamy quality.

Back