Micro 4/3 Olympus OM-D - A new camera!!

It's only when trouble hits you appreciate having it.

I have destroyed five Canon Powershots: A420, A430, A450, A95, G10, as well as two DSLRs Pentax K7 and an Olympus E-1 (my fault). I really appreciate WR construction!

WR is essential for winter soccer games in heavey rain, at windy beaches with air borne dust and sand, when wading beaches with wave splashes or fish slime when fishing.

I only tolerate my E-P3 because I can stick in it a relatively cheap dicapac submersible bag. Waterproof housings are not designed for out-of-water use, too bulky and weigh too much. Olympus WR for DSLR and lenses is even more highly rated than Pentax's - and seems to have better longevity from my experience.

So for me, active outdoors activities demand WR bodies and lenses - frankly I'd like a "toughened" M4/3 formatted fixed lens (a la Canon G1 X) than could handle even only 1-2 m underwater so you could take it anywhere, anytime.

Try one of the Oly Tough's I have a friend who rinses all the iron dust and clay off in the laundry tub it has survived almost a year been dropped a few times too...

They actually used the words High Dynamic Range and I used the abbreviation HDR. In principle those words can simply mean "more like the dynamic range of film" rather than the special effect we've all come to associate with them.:rolleyes:

OM Digital

Full page ad on the back cover of the current Amateur Photographer (UK) with a hinted announcement for March. Lots of OM references and the tag "Oh My goodness". Make of it what you will.

Gordon
Here is said page...
I read a detailed spec on a feed it looks good.
I guess one of the things I like best about mirrorless cameras is there is no mirror lock up when shooting macro's. It can be a shot and time loosing process...
I think its almost time to sell my 5d's

https://www.photographerslounge.org/images/attach/png.gif

Attachments

• AP_backpage.png
    AP_backpage.png
    191 KB · Views: 248
1) It has an OM look
2) Built-in 1.44 dots integrated viewfinder
3) New in body stabilization and AF system
4) Comes in Black and Silver
5) Weather sealed magnesium body
6) 16 megapixel sensor
7) Width 121mm, weighs 425g

with a price of $1100 US. There were other rumors about this being called an HDR sensor with isos up to 25800. All of this aside, I think the critical thing here will be the new sensor.
This all looks too goood, lets see.

Dxomark gave the E-P3 sensor a score of 51 and the X-10 just got a 50 with a sensor half the size. I don't worship Dxomark but it does indicate that the Oly senors are getting a little long in the tooth.

x10 got an effective area 4x smaller. DXOMark are silly people and you know that :) They tested x10 without any of the exr modes on and still got 50. Canon s100 also got similar scores. They rate ISO performance less compartive to some picky HDR, that even warries among models carrying same sensor and of same generation. As a result APSC are beating many Fullframe all the time now.

I still agree Oly need to improve sensor, but really dont see much point in higher resolution .. they really need to concentrate on IQ with ISO performance in mind. Bring it to ISO levels 100 or slightly below and give clean useable ISO upto 1600 and acceptable at 3200 and thats all they need.

Yep. Oly needs (IMHO) something like the 43 version of the sensor in the Pentax K5. They make a decent camera whose quality outweighs its quirks. They can certainly do optics. They need better DR and high iso perfomrance or too many folks will just buy something else. BTW, the X-10's biggest drawback at DXOmark was the low light score, which I was very surprised to see. Of course, you called it: they didn't try the EXR modes.

Want a toughy with a big chip!

Try one of the Oly Tough's I have a friend who rinses all the iron dust and clay off in the laundry tub it has survived almost a year been dropped a few times too...

That's the annoying thing - the technology for a toughened body has been around for years but no one will make one with a decent sensor and lens - I just cant accept the quality from any of the brands with their tiny sensors. Heck, Panasonic was making WR & toughened laptops over TEN years ago! I remember the editor at the magazine I write for dropped one from a metre flat onto the office floor and kicked it under the desk - and it worked no problem. So why not the same for a mere M43 camera??:confused:

Well it's for real for sure!! Prices in the UK are going to be £999 body only and £1149 for body and 12-50mm kit lens The lens kinda sounds cheap at £149!?!?

I SO want one but it's way too expensive at the moment.

Back