Olympus OM-D E-M5 Officially Announced

Amin

Hall of Famer
6838827103_c8994d9e74_z.jpg

Olympus just announced the OM-D EM-5, the first Olympus Micro 4/3 camera to offer an integrated electronic viewfinder (EVF).

Key features of the E-M5:
  • Even faster autofocus than E-P3
  • Autofocus tracking system which is effective even for subjects moving towards/away from the camera (up until now this has been a weak point for mirrorless cameras)
  • 9.2 FPS sequential shooting
  • 5-axis image stabilization system can compensate for 1) pitching, 2) yawing, 3) horizontal movement, 4) vertical movement, and 5) rotational movement around the optical axis.
  • Proven dust-proof and splash-proof technology.
  • Tilting 3-inch OLED touch screen
  • 1.4million dot EVF with eye sensor for automatic switching between EVF and rear OLED.
DPReview Preview: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Evolving, comprehensive coverage of the E-M5 at 1001 Noisy Cameras.

If you are pre-ordering this camera, please help support Serious Compacts by using our links:

PRE-ORDERS:

Pre-Order at B&H:
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Black Body Only at B&H
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Silver Body Only at B&H

Pre-Order at Amazon:
Olympus OM-D E-M5 (Silver or Black) Body Only at AmazonView attachment 48967
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Kits (14-42 or 12-50, Black or Silver) at AmazonView attachment 48968

Pre-Order at Adorama:
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Black Body Only at Adorama
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Silver Body Only at Adorama

Using our links does not change your price, but the store gives us a small percentage (typically 2-4%) for the referral. Please note that in order for us to get credit for referring you, you have to click our link before putting the item in your cart, and you cannot click another site's pre-order link after clicking ours.

Thanks! That preview pretty much confirms that, apart from some minor points, this is the kind of CSC I've been hoping to see. I love how small it is, and how much control customisation it offers; you can make this a seriously quick camera to operate! Unless a weatherproof EX1 / LX5 / XZ1 comes along, I might just have to buy one of these OM-D's some day when I have the money!

And wow, that silver version is pretty! In my opinion, even prettier than the Fuji X100...

I'm canceling my NEX7 preorder.

I like RF styled cameras better, but the OMD seems to have combined just about everything I'd hoped for in a m4/3 camera --- dual dials and fully customizable buttons! Weather seal and tilt touchscreen LCD are gravy! Still wish the hump was smaller, but after seeing various videos, I really like it!

I can't wait to see Oly's JPG engine combined with the 16 mp sensor.

Only question now is black or silver? :) Help!!

Ps: I may cancel that XP1 preorder too. Any news on the actual release date of the OMD?

Pps: I take it back ... the buttons are fully customizable. 5 freaking FN buttons, and metering can't be assigned to ANY of the five!!!! Why Oly??? WHY????

I will wait and see how this one turns out, but I am now fully committed to rangefinder style cameras and I am still full speed ahead with the X-PRO1 for digital and vintage Nikon rangefinders for film

Looking very good, but I'll wait until Leica's announcement later this year before buying a new camera system. We will see great deals on EP3s soon and many showing up in the used market.

Back