Olympus OM-D E-M5 Officially Announced

From Imaging Resource:

I've seen this confirmed on another site, where the shutter sound was described as "muted" and "charming" :2thumbs:.

Yeah, I saw those too, which is what caused me to mention it in the first place. Among all of my hopes and dreams for this camera, an even slightly quiet shutter wasn't among them, so that's a huge and unexpected bonus for me. I always figured my dream camera was an m43 camera (for the availability of fast-ish glass) with a flip up screen, a built-in evf (ideally without the hump, but evidently we can't quite have it ALL), great controls, useable at ISO 3200, and with a quiet shutter. I thought this was gonna hit on all but the quiet shutter - if it does that TOO, jeez, what else to even dream about???

Although someone suggested that this is likely at least partially a result of the weather-sealing, which makes sense. But which also makes me wonder if it will be AS quiet with a non-sealed lens??? I'd guess maybe not, but I can't imagine the lens is where most of the shutter noise is coming out. Regardless, I'm psyched...

-Ray

Yeah, I saw those too, which is what caused me to mention it in the first place. Among all of my hopes and dreams for this camera, an even slightly quiet shutter wasn't among them, so that's a huge and unexpected bonus for me. I always figured my dream camera was an m43 camera (for the availability of fast-ish glass) with a flip up screen, a built-in evf (ideally without the hump, but evidently we can't quite have it ALL), great controls, useable at ISO 3200, and with a quiet shutter. I thought this was gonna hit on all but the quiet shutter - if it does that TOO, jeez, what else to even dream about???

Although someone suggested that this is likely at least partially a result of the weather-sealing, which makes sense. But which also makes me wonder if it will be AS quiet with a non-sealed lens??? I'd guess maybe not, but I can't imagine the lens is where most of the shutter noise is coming out. Regardless, I'm psyched...

-Ray

You can hear the shutter sound relative to the volume of the guys voice at ~3:12 in this video:

"Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera preview" - Videos - Viddler

I feel as though Olympus made this camera specifically for me. I can find absolutely nothing to complain about.

I don't blame you all for your excitement. It does sound like a fabulous camera. Who knows maybe down the line I will cross back over... Now, let's see who did I sell all those lenses to? They'll be happy about this, that's for sure!

Seriously, this is really, really looking good. I wonder what Vidar thinks? He's been such a stalwart hold out with his E-P1. I think I'll drop him a line.;)

I will buy the camera with the weatherproof lens, which might eventually be decentered. Is there a name for the phobia ob buying decentered lenses?

So some of you guys are cancelling pre-orders on cameras you've never used to pre-order a camera you've never used?

I was already on the fence with the XP1. I ordered it thinking it might sell out fast, but over time thought back to my comparisons between the Fuji X100 and Ricoh GXR. While the lens selection on the XP1 is very good and I really appreciate good OVFs I'm more committed to the GXR system, and in the comparison I preferred the GXR IQ.

I did not cancel the XP1 to order the OM-D. The OM-D will replace my E5 DSLR for rainy winter season photography. That's the plan anyway.

It is interesting that Olympus actually managed to release a body that really does steal some of Fuji's thunder before the X Pro 1 actually became available.

I was already on the fence with the XP1. I ordered it thinking it might sell out fast, but over time thought back to my comparisons between the Fuji X100 and Ricoh GXR. While the lens selection on the XP1 is very good and I really appreciate good OVFs I'm more committed to the GXR system, and in the comparison I preferred the GXR IQ.

I did not cancel the XP1 to order the OM-D. The OM-D will replace my E5 DSLR for rainy winter season photography. That's the plan anyway.
While I do like the GXR IQ, I like the Fuji more and the XPO1 on paper is an improvement on that, the lens map for the GXR is weak and makes no sense to me at this point, the AF is close on both with the XPRO again in theory better, I have no desire to use legacy lenses on either so for all of those reasons I sent my GXR 28 back and am selling my GXR50.

Having used weather sealed cameras for a long time, for me I will never use a camera I care about in the rain, humidity is an electronics killer and in some ways weather sealing can lead to a false sense of security, just like the a 4 wheel drive car can. My favorite quote from my off road days was the real advantage to 4 wheel drive is it allows you to get stuck farther from the road the 2 wheel.

While I do like the GXR IQ, I like the Fuji more and the XPO1 on paper is an improvement on that, the lens map for the GXR is weak and makes no sense to me at this point, the AF is close on both with the XPRO again in theory better, I have no desire to use legacy lenses on either so for all of those reasons I sent my GXR 28 back and am selling my GXR50.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on people's XP1 reactions after they use them. In the long-term it might be a better option, but I'm reluctant to dive in right now. The current GXR A12 primes work really well for me, but I agree that the system is somewhat stalled compared to other systems. Last year they only released the Mount unit (I use it, but less and less) and this year the APS zoom (say what you will about its size), with no roadmap in sight for 2012 (technically speaking, the APS zoom was originally planned for release in 2011).

Having used weather sealed cameras for a long time, for me I will never use a camera I care about in the rain, humidity is an electronics killer and in some ways weather sealing can lead to a false sense of security, just like the a 4 wheel drive car can. My favorite quote from my off road days was the real advantage to 4 wheel drive is it allows you to get stuck farther from the road the 2 wheel.

So far the E5 has not let me down. That said, I don't use it in downpours, only when it is misting or lightly raining or dripping drops of water from trees. I've also used other cameras in mist without issues, albeit gently.

And love that quote!

I wonder what features of this OMD will eventually show up in the PEN range. Obviously they need to keep withhold features to keep the price difference or will it just be the built-in viewfinder as the only difference.

I would think that the only major thing they will trickle down to the PENs would be the sensor. I am guessing new IBIS is something they would want to keep in their "pro" line and may be too bulky for use in the PENs?

I would be okay with this.... what I really want is just an E-P3 with the updated sensor (think I am okay with controls even, if it means I get to keep the flash).

Armanius, I figured out a workaround for not being able to assign metering modes to a function button.

Buy several different cameras and have them all set to a different metering mode ;)

So now I know the REAL reason why Olympus refuses to allow full customization of the buttons!!! To increase their revenues by getting me to buy multiple cameras!

That also solves the black or silver problem. One of each!!! Or maybe two of each...

-Ray

In spite of my rant, I did order one of each!!! Ordered silver one from BH and black one from Amazon. Will keep whichever one gets to me first.

BUT SERIOUSLY, can anyone explain to me why Oly does what it does? What's the big deal or difficulty about allowing FULL customization??? I really would like to hear some thoughts about this from people smarter than me. Because I can't figure out for the life of me.

Back