Micro 4/3 Olympus OM-D EM-5 vs. Panasonic GX1

Andrew, as you know...the GXR is almost perfect. I have the. 28, 50, S10 & M unit I don't use.
Like Ian, I loved the GF1 and the GX1 is like it but more advanced.
The OMD is knocked out but it has a growth on top I don't need.
One can't believe for a Grand you can get a camera like that. Unreal.

Thanks for that comparision...im in a dilema at the moment with whether to sell the GX1 and go for the OMD M5, or keep the GX1 and get an EVF attachment.

Something you`ve pointed out which is very interesting to me is the low light AF on the OM-D is no where near as good as the GX1. This is something I havent noticed in any other reviews and I think originaly the main strengths for me with regards to an upgrade are, better dynamic range, better High ISO, built in IS and the built in EVF. The GX1 is a fantastic camera, but the OMD M5 is so appealing. Mainly I think the built in IS seems to work fantastic, and on prime lenses this could make such a difference.

I`ve even been thinking of getting the G3, but am hanging on to hear about the G5, and possibly put money towards the 12-35 and 35-100 lenses if I dont go for the OM-D.

samcmoore said:
Thanks for that comparision...im in a dilema at the moment with whether to sell the GX1 and go for the OMD M5, or keep the GX1 and get an EVF attachment.

Something you`ve pointed out which is very interesting to me is the low light AF on the OM-D is no where near as good as the GX1. This is something I havent noticed in any other reviews and I think originaly the main strengths for me with regards to an upgrade are, better dynamic range, better High ISO, built in IS and the built in EVF. The GX1 is a fantastic camera, but the OMD M5 is so appealing. Mainly I think the built in IS seems to work fantastic, and on prime lenses this could make such a difference.

I`ve even been thinking of getting the G3, but am hanging on to hear about the G5, and possibly put money towards the 12-35 and 35-100 lenses if I dont go for the OM-D.

I bought a GX1 last week and I love the low light performance and the IQ. I am using a 25 f 1.4 lens and the focusing speed is astonishing.
Dan

I had the GX1 and got the OMD following all the rave feedback I got from all over the places. Wanted image stabilisation and the tilting screen. The truth is that it is too big and heavy for me to take with me all the time so I'm looking forward for a EPL version which would blend the best of both and without the EVF that I don't use.

I also hope that Oly will release a bright 12-35 in smaller form factor (and cheaper) than the panny version. I wouldn't mind it having a slightly varying diaphragm opening from 2 to 4 maybe.

Apart from that, I prefer colors from the Oly cameras, my family loves using it for the gritty BW out the box that does wonders in low light.

Back