Micro 4/3 Olympus OMD E-M1X

Knikki

Regular
Hi.

I know a few people on here use OMD E-M1x but couple of things, even after doing the old Google shuffle, I can't quite work out, so thought would ask the collective mind.

Blackout in the viewfinder when shooting continous: Is this an issue or is like the a DSLR where you just get a flickring so you can still track your moving subject easy?

Memory Card: Is it a case of geting a fast one, which would help with the above or does it not really matter/improve blackout?

Electronic Shutter: I am aware of the rolling shutter issue with electronic shutters but how bad or is it a issue with the E-M1x? (and before anyone says "my Nikon Z9 is not a problem" I can't afored one and I'm not going to sell my first born for one either ;) )
For instance would it be an issue when shooting motorsports as an example.

Thanks in advance.

I had one for a couple years. To try and answer your questions, from what I remember-

Blackout varied on fps and style of shutter. I used 10fps with an electronic shutter when shooting bif, and I felt the blackout was pretty minimal in this configuration and following a subject wasn’t too bad.

Not sure on the memory card piece, I only used UHS ii cards. I’m sure that could effect how quickly a buffer cleared (which was never really a choke point for me), but not sure how much effect it would have on the viewfinder.

Lastly, I never noticed an issue with the rolling shutter, but that may depend on what you’re shooting. If it’s race cars going by man made poles or something, probably? If it’s animals in an open field, no worries.

You get used to the short blackout/flicker. When I am concentrating on the the subject, I barely notice it.
Or as someone once told me on a related hobby, "if you notice it, you are NOT concentrating."

A fast memory card will not help with blackout.
What it will do is to clear the buffer faster, so your continuous shooting won't slow down.
Although I think there are still limits.

I shoot sport primarily with the e-shutter, and do not remember seeing anything "weird" in the pictures.
Granted not motorsports.

I own two of the M1X's, and I do find them great for field sports, but I have no experience doing motorsports with them yet. The e-shutter can make baseball bats "bend", soccer balls go out-of-round in some cases, but it is not too severe. I do use fast Sony Tough G SD cards, and never have an issue with the buffer not clearing in time for the next burst. I've sold one of my Canon 1D Mark IV's because they (the M1X's) are built like a "smaller brick" and the Olympus optics are so damn good.

Notice the ball out-of-round with only the central stitches sharp and the forward bend of the bat, and the elongated soccer ball.

WBB-3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
WGS-M1X.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
@Knikki
I had a couple of EM1Xs (not at the same time)
Ive just sold my last one after buying an OM-1
I really liked them - build quality was second to none (from any manufacturer) with clasps on the battery and card doors etc promoting a feeling of superb build and dust and weather sealing
Even though the OM-1 has a higher dust and weather sealing rating the EM1X is not far behind
I do recall a little viewfinder blackout but it wasn’t a problem to shoot motorsports with it
From memory some lenses were worse than others with blackout - I think that there was more blackout with my 12-100 f4 but that may have been my imagination ?
Regardless of the above the EM1X made a superb package when paired with the 12-100
You are no doubt aware that the 1X is currently £1499 with £300 cashback so £1199 which is astounding value for money and cheaper than the EM1/3 - you get a lot more hardware for your money
1X Ergonomics are very good and the shutter button and grip arrangement are a bit better on the 1X compared to the OM-1 as the grip is slightly chunkier which meant that my index finger tip fell more naturally onto the shutter button whereas on the OM-1 I have to bend my index finger slightly to place my finger tip on the shutter button
The only downside is that it is a large camera to use as an all round walk around / general purpose body - I found it fine for Motorsports use with PL200, Oly 40-150 f2.8 but it is imo too big and heavy to use with smaller prime lenses - where an EM/1 / OM-1 is a better form factor
You will notice the higher weight especially when combined with the larger M43 telephotos and you may tire more if shooting all day as I did compared to using an EM1 (or OM-1)
Despite the EVF being an older lower resolution it is a good size and perfectly useable - the issue I found was that when reviewing shots in the EVF the sharpness was often insufficient to effectively judge critical sharpness of shots taken which is a little frustrating when you are trying to gauge the hit rate when experimenting with lower shutter speeds for panning for example
The motorsports AI tracking is very good and especially noticeable with subjects coming towards you where I previously had far less success. I recall shooting a motocross event and shot a very high number of oncoming bikes and Auto Focus yielded a very high hit rate
If you are sitting on the fence I would recommend you dive in at the current price. There are rumours of a 1X Mk2 being announced in September and if this is the case it may be that Olympus / OMDS are clearing the shelves of the 1X in time for the replacement to go on sale. That model is bound to come in at at least £2500 if it does transpire
Bearing in mind that the 1X was released at £2799 in the U.K. this is a seriously good bargain as long as you are prepared for the shortcomings and size and weight disadvantages
I don’t think the OM-1 significantly improves the Motorsports AI autofocus so for your use the 1X would be a good choice imo
The battery life is superb by the way - I can’t recall the number I got on both batteries but I never ran out of battery life during a days shooting Motorsports (I tend to shoot all day at big events)
I do recall being very pleased with battery life
Hope this helps
Rob
EDIT
PS I’ve never used electronic shutter on any of my cameras - I probably should try it out and probably will but I’m a bit of a purist with regard to sticking with mechanical shutter

@robstar1963 Hi and thank you for your information on the 1x.
As for weight, I use a variety of systems (I have four differnet systems, I like gear and they were cheap :LOL: ) for shooting motorsport one of which is a Canon 1Dx + Canon 100-400, which after a day (and using the car as a camera bag) can get tiresome but do love the images out of it. So I don't think the extra weight of a 1x would be too much of an issue but still good to know about :)

I would be looking at used, rarely buy new cameras, and like many of the Olympus gear it has fallen signifcantly in price on the used market, which is why I am now seriously looking at one, its the AF Tracking that I find so interesting.

Might have to look at trading another machine now 🤔

Back