Micro 4/3 Olympus OMD EM-10 anyone?

The DPReview mini-review is interesting. They note the little improvements over the EM5 like the better LCD. WR is not that important to me (no WR lenses after all) so the only real loss would be the 3 axes vs. 5 axes. DPR notes that the EM10 didn't have the shutter shock issues they complained about with the E-P5. I have no idea if those were real issues, but I do remember it causing quite a stir.

OM-D on a budget: Olympus E-M10 First Impressions Review

I think the only real advantage of the E-M5 is that it's weather resistant.

Otherwise, in my view, the E-M10 is better. It has faster AF sampling (240 Hz vs 120 Hz) and better EVF refresh rate (120 Hz vs 60 Hz). The EVF automatically adjusts its brightness. Both EVF magnification and eye point are better. The buttons are better located and supposedly they are not as mushy as the E-M5 buttons.

As for weather sealing... Well, I have never owned a weather sealed camera and never missed it — in bad weather I prefer to stay home!

I have the Stylus 1 and after some testing have found that the RAW files are pretty close to Micro 4/3! I really can't see the point of the E-M10. The E-M5 at this current time if bought new is a decent price and you get a free 45mm f1.8 lens plus a free grip from Olympus which makes the camera very attractive.

The lineup makes sense once the street prices settle in. The M10 is low end at $600, the EM5/EM5 II at 900-1000, and the M1 at 1300-1400. WR is not an important feature for many folks. If anything, I can see this cutting into sales of the E-PLx series

I agree with you. I can even see this camera cut into some of the sales of the EP series as well. Like you said with the EPL series they may as well just cut that because the EPL-5 was $600 or more at launch. So they may as well just cut the EPL line and keep the EPM, EP and OM-D lines.

I'm definitely considering this one. After dabbling here and there with the Fuji X system, loving the controls but not finding the AF fast enough for my needs and not getting along with the OLED EVF in the X-E1 (after two ill-fated attemps), I'm considering a move back into m43 for a companion system to my FF Canon gear. I know that I want an EVF, live view exposure preview, IBIS and face detection AF. I love the EVF in the E-M1 and the ergonomics (being a taller guy with larger hands), but not the $1399 price point. Before the E-M10 was officially announced I figured an E-M5 would be the route to take, but not I think I'm leaning more toward the E-M10 for the better refresh rate on the EVF, the WiFi and the reportedly more responsive rear buttons. A used E-M5 is still a possibility (though the only reason would be the 5-axis IBIS and the stabilized view through the EVF that it gives), but with the pricing promotion Olympus now has with $100/$200 discounts on select lenses the E-M10 looks even more attractive.

What are your thoughts? - If you were getting back into m43 (I only own an E-PL1, the kit lens and some legacy glass with adapters), which of the OM-D models would you go with if you were in my shoes?

I'm definitely considering this one. After dabbling here and there with the Fuji X system, loving the controls but not finding the AF fast enough for my needs and not getting along with the OLED EVF in the X-E1 (after two ill-fated attemps), I'm considering a move back into m43 for a companion system to my FF Canon gear. I know that I want an EVF, live view exposure preview, IBIS and face detection AF. I love the EVF in the E-M1 and the ergonomics (being a taller guy with larger hands), but not the $1399 price point. Before the E-M10 was officially announced I figured an E-M5 would be the route to take, but not I think I'm leaning more toward the E-M10 for the better refresh rate on the EVF, the WiFi and the reportedly more responsive rear buttons. A used E-M5 is still a possibility (though the only reason would be the 5-axis IBIS and the stabilized view through the EVF that it gives), but with the pricing promotion Olympus now has with $100/$200 discounts on select lenses the E-M10 looks even more attractive.

What are your thoughts? - If you were getting back into m43 (I only own an E-PL1, the kit lens and some legacy glass with adapters), which of the OM-D models would you go with if you were in my shoes?

I'm pretty sure the E-M10 offers a stabilized view through the EVF when you give the shutter button a half press. I have to admit that I'm leaning toward this camera as well. Like you, I find the E-M1 a bit more expensive than I'd like. Even worse is that this camera cries out for the new 12-40mm f/2.8 zoom - and I don't have a prayer of swinging that lens for a long time. And for the price of the E-M1 body, I can get both the E-M10 body and another a lens or two, or the Stylus 1 as well.

I'm pretty sure the E-M10 offers a stabilized view through the EVF when you give the shutter button a half press.

Having never used one I may have misunderstood, but I thought with the E-M5 the stabilized view through the EVF is full time (which would help with framing/focusing with MF lenses). In this way I figured the E-M5 had a leg up on the E-M10. Am I mistaken as to how this works?

Having never used one I may have misunderstood, but I thought with the E-M5 the stabilized view through the EVF is full time (which would help with framing/focusing with MF lenses). In this way I figured the E-M5 had a leg up on the E-M10. Am I mistaken as to how this works?

Good question... can any E-M5 owners keep us honest on this?

The E-M5 can be set up to engage the IS upon half-pressing the shutter button the same as would happen with a camera fitted with an IS lens. This had previously not been possible with Olympus bodies. One feature that the E-M5 did miss out on that is found in later 5-Axis stabilised bodies is the ability to automatically engage the IS system as soon as you enter the magnified focus assist view without having to half press the shutter. This allows you to set the shutter button to return you to the full-scale image with a half-press to finish composing your shot and then take the image. On the E-M5 if you wanted IS engaged during the magnified view you had to hold the shutter button halfway down and use the OK button to return you to the full-scale image. The other advantage of bodies newer than the E-M5 is that they won't allow the sensor IS and the IS from a Panasonic lens to work at the same time and interfere with each other, whereas this was possible with the E-M5 if you weren't paying attention. I don't know how many of these newer features from the E-P5 and E-M1 are shared with the E-M10 given that it uses a different IS system.

The E-M5 can be set up to engage the IS upon half-pressing the shutter button the same as would happen with a camera fitted with an IS lens. This had previously not been possible with Olympus bodies.

The E-M10 also can stabilize the live view image.

One feature that the E-M5 did miss out on that is found in later 5-Axis stabilised bodies is the ability to automatically engage the IS system as soon as you enter the magnified focus assist view without having to half press the shutter. This allows you to set the shutter button to return you to the full-scale image with a half-press to finish composing your shot and then take the image.

In this regard the E-M10 is the same as the E-P5 and later bodies.

Starting to wonder if this is a test, so to speak, by Olympus, to see how popular the EM10 might be... and will the PEN series begin to disappear...

Interesting idea. I've been thinking about the current OM-D line up in a slightly different context. What if there will be no update or replacement for the E-M5? Look at the features of the E-M1 and E-M10. Now, what if you updated the E-M5 with everything the E-M10 now has that's better? How much real difference would there between the new camera and the E-M1? Not much, methinks. So why should Oly make it?

If the E-M5 eventually disappears, Oly's OM-D lineup makes sense. The E-M10 is a great little camera, but if you need weather-resistance and five-axis stabilization, you have something to aspire to - and motivation to eventually buy it. Just me thinking aloud. Feel free to disagree.

Back