Micro 4/3 Olympus OMD EM-10 anyone?

I've got one on preorder. My first try of m43. I'm going for it simply because of price and it being a bit smaller than the other OMDs. I wasn't actually fussed about a viewfinder but comparing the size of this to an ep5 I thought why not have the option. I've gone for body only and picking up a 45mm 1.8 separately.

I've got one on preorder. My first try of m43. I'm going for it simply because of price and it being a bit smaller than the other OMDs. I wasn't actually fussed about a viewfinder but comparing the size of this to an ep5 I thought why not have the option. I've gone for body only and picking up a 45mm 1.8 separately.

If you can live with the focal length, that's a high IQ combo.

Starting to wonder if this is a test, so to speak, by Olympus, to see how popular the EM10 might be... and will the PEN series begin to disappear...

Since you wrote this, there have been a few rumors about a Pen with an EVF that then got squashed. I could see the three level OMD line accompanied by a two level Pen line (the PM and PL). The two lower end Pens are pretty good and nicely fill the low end price range.

If you can live with the focal length, that's a high IQ combo.

Will post pics once I'm up and running. I've got my Ricoh GR for everyday shooting, which is almost always with me. Also if I like this new move into m43 I'll probably look at adding a 17mm and maybe even 75mm eventually. I've spent years photographing family and friends with a Canon 7D and 50mm. Same sort of length after crop, so I reckon I'll manage :)

<rave mode>I got my M10 today - and what a great camera it is! Lighting fast, very well thought-out - I'm extremely pleased. It's a leap up from my PM1 in terms of handling and functionality in every way, and it sure is a no-nonsense tool - and yet it's still a very compact, handy little camera, verging on cute. It's an uncanny mix, really. Best thing yet I have to mention is the way the EVF behaves - you can actually switch from image review to shooting by lifting the camera up to your eye, and it's instantenous. In all seriousness, after exploring the camera and its performance for some time now, I'm very, very satisfied - I've handled an M5 and a P5 before, both are great cameras, but for me, this incarnation of the M gestalt delivers all the goods in one very handsome package.</rave mode>

Okay, time to take a deep breath - even though I find it hard to come off my excitement. Anyway, I have to put the M10 through real-life usage first before I get any deeper into this, so I'll take it out shooting over the coming weekend, along with my trusty PM1 that by now I know inside out. But I'm quite confident to predict that if the image quality is anything like the handling experience and basic performance, my search for the perfect camera for me personally will have come to an end. That's not to say I'll be GAS-free forever, but the M10 really, honestly hits the spot. As some may already have guessed, while I certainly expected to like the camera (I wouldn't have ordered it otherwise), I absolutely didn't expect such an amazing first impression.

One tiny niggle I have is about IS on LV - it's audible. Not intrusive, but quite obvious - more or less on the same level as the Panasonic 20mm focussing ... I decided against using it anyway (I don't shoot very long lenses most of the time, so I rarely need a stabilised LV) but it's something you should be aware of.

M.

Moonmind: We've both got the GR and EM10 and I think it's a great combo :) I spent the weekend using the EM10 on a family break and I'm really pleased as it did exactly what I wanted from it. Ease of use, superb portrait fast lens (45/75mm 1.8). Lovely IS and face recognition. Ergonomics absolutely fine, even with no grip and the 75mm.

Trying hard to think of a niggle.. maybe that fact the viewfinder eye detection is sensitive so goes off as you go to use the touch screen sometimes.

The EM10 also has arguably better viewfinder, button feel (due to no sealing?) and layout. The weather sealing might be something you want but will your lens also have it? I also chose it as I liked the smaller size.

Chrismnm: The M10 and the Panasonic 20mm are a great match - even though focussing is still not as fast as it could be, it's noticeably faster than with the PM1, and I've hardly missed a shot with *that* combo. With the M10 - it just clicks. Heads and shoulders above the previous setup, period.

IBIS is more than adequate - I can't compare 5-axis to 3-axis directly at this moment, but I simply can't imagine *needing* more than what the M10 has to offer. I'll test all this in-depth on a night shoot this week with the 20mm and 45mm (depending on the weather).

Last weekend, I shot (in bright sunlight) with the 20mm, the Olympus 12mm and the Sigma 60mm - everything nice and dandy even though I didn't do a particularily good job for the most part - which is none of the camera's fault. It was more a test run than anything else anyway since I needed to wrap my head and hands around the camera, but it was a very nice experience all the same. The camera handles great in almost every respect and is fast, fast, fast. As it went, I didn't find a good opportunity to test the 45mm in the end, so that's next on my list, together with the usage of the tilting touchscreen - even though I doubt I'll use that a lot; I simply like the EVF too much. But there's still a lot to explore and to get used to.

Anyhow and slightly OT, speaking of tele lenses, I think the Sigma 60mm is a really good lens. As it is, it's got just that little bit more reach I need sometimes, but I still prefer the more pleasing (but not sharper!) rendering of the 45mm - just. In good light, the 60mm is a very reliable performer - very fast, very good picture quality, hardly a glitch in sight. But of course, the Olympus 75mm is a class of its own, far superior, so if neither size nor price are an issue, it's the one to get. But I guess that's not news :)

M.

Im seriously thinking of getting the EM10 plus a P20 and the O75.

I'm loving the O75 on the EM10 so far. I don't feel the need for the grip yet either. All in black of course! ;-) I chose the 45 for indoor portraits and 75 for outdoor, which kind of forces me to the Oly 17mm 1.8 next instead of the P20 I think.

Ive been using the Olympus E-M10 for two days now and i Have to say I do like it. I had the 5 for a short while but did not get on with the buttons.
I can confirm the EM10 is easier to operate with gloves on . That helped this morning. The addition of wifi is nice. I've tried it and I will use it.
The 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ is quiet and quite nice in operation. (Better than the 14-50 that was with the EM5)
Ok, no weather seals but it feels just as robust as the 5. Focus is really snappy and point selection is quick and easy.
This time I set up the super control panel. Brilliant !
The VF sensor shuts off when the screen is opened. This is good as it doesn't keep reverting back to EVF if working in the shade.
screen transition to EVF is nice and quick too.
Raw not supported right now with Aperture or Lightroom. But support from Photoraw on iPad/phone was released this morning.
I have made avallible some full res sooc jpeg's from the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ Here on dropbox for any interested parties.

Dropbox - Error

The camera and lens fit in the same small belt bag that I use for my V1 + 10mm.... The EM10 is a small camera.

Oh, On my iMac Olympus viewer (raw developer) is slower than a sleeping slow thing. I gave up. The Sigma software for the Merrills is greyhound like in comparison.

Back