Micro 4/3 Olympus Pen-F announcement v.soon.

Quick iPhone shot of the Pen-F in its natural habitat: Ona Bowery, with 12, 17, 45 and 75 primes.

25312140396_580ec3a38c_b.jpg

On request...
by Marlof Bregonje, on Flickr
I love that bag. Surprisingly enough, I often go out with my DF and a similar 4 lens kit, usually a 24, 35, 58 and a 75-150 f3.5, which covers both your 45 and 75. Sometimes I'd take a 20 and 28 instead of 24 and 35, or maybe a 105 or 135 instead of the zoom - just depends on my mood. It's a small bag, but it holds a surprising amount. These are mostly manual focus lenses, but there are AF lenses that would fit just as well at the wide-neutral focal lengths. I have a cloth and leather Ona but like the cloth bag more - it's lighter and the sides are less bulky enough that it holds more or holds it more easily...

-Ray

I've obviously never used it but I don't understand the complaining over no 4k video? Makes no sense to me.
IMHO, that's like complaining that a Leica or X100 doesn't have 4K.

If you want 4K, get an OM-D body.

I've obviously never used it but I don't understand the complaining over no 4k video? Makes no sense to me.
IMHO, that's like complaining that a Leica or X100 doesn't have 4K.

If you want 4K, get an OM-D body.

I understand the complaining (even though I couldn't care less about 4K video). Why should their latest (most expensive) camera body leave out something that cameras at half their price have?

edit...... I see now that they are not leaving out a feature that their other cameras have.

Last edited:
I don't know. To me, this camera is a little roadster. It has quirks, and can't do everything other cameras can do, but it's tons of fun to use it for what it can do. And that's why I wanted it around.

4k? I have one camera that does that (my LX100), but I can't tell you if it's any good at it, since I never tried it. I buy photo cameras, not video cameras. They might sell more Pen-Fs if it did 4k. But for me, it's fine as it is.

I was more annoyed about the lacking weather sealing until it got to me that the lenses I'm gonna use with it aren't weather sealed to begin with. And it was love at first sight. I mean, come on, a Pen with an integrated viewfinder? Drool City! So I went for it, paid the early adopter taxes, and so far, so good.

I don't have 4K eyeballs...

You also probably don't have a 4K HDTV. They're certainly for sale and the prices are definitely now coming down. But unless you have a very big screen - say 60-plus inches - it might not make that much difference to you. Except to make any standard-definition DVDs you may have look lousy on screen. They hold up okay on 1080p sets. On 4K, not so much.

I don't know. To me, this camera is a little roadster. It has quirks, and can't do everything other cameras can do, but it's tons of fun to use it for what it can do. And that's why I wanted it around.

And it was love at first sight. I mean, come on, a Pen with an integrated viewfinder? Drool City! So I went for it, paid the early adopter taxes, and so far, so good.

Yep... That was it for me too. Having multiple cameras, you don't have to require each camera to do everything you might want. You can have one for this and another for that. For me, for most of what and how I use a camera, the PEN-F meets the needs and I'm surprised that my initial doubts about the ArtFilter control have quickly turned into an appreciation for the placement of the knob and the handy means to achieve some great B&W JPGs generated right along with my full-data RAW files. Now, I actually like and use the ArtFilter control knob!

P2260040.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P2260035.jpg

P2260005_b-Edit.jpg

P2260005-Edit-2.jpg

P2260014-2.jpg

I have one of these on its way to me. I thought I'd rent it and check it out on my upcoming mountain hiking trip (yep, I purchased the optional insurance). I'm not going to buy one any time soon, as I just purchased a gently used E-M1. I also tend to be a generation or two behind in my camera purchases, and prefer to wait until prices come down out of the stratosphere. I've gotten some pretty good deals on like-new cameras that way, and my E-M5 is still going strong.

TT

I just realized I hadn't reported back on my rental experience with the Pen F. It was a nice, well built camera, but it didn't really click with me. I mounted a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 on it, and took it on an 11 mile stroll. The early part of the day was grey and overcast, and you can tell by how flat the first photo is. The clouds parted and it got beautiful and sunny, which obviously made a huge difference in the IQ. But I was glad to return the camera when my time was up. On the other hand, when I rented a Fuji X100S a few weeks ago, I grew to like that camera a lot. Anyway, here are a few Pen F samples from my hike.

TT

P3120288a.jpg

P3120308a.jpg

P3120310a.jpg

P3120314a.jpg

P3120322a.jpg

Thanks for the update. It's funny how we all have our preferences. I'm getting told that the EM1 would be a better camera than the EM5, but it just didn't fit me as well as the latter. I can see what others like about it, but it's just not me. The best camera often is the one that feels like second nature to you, and that differs from person to person.

Back