News Olympus Sells Imaging Division

I've been reading the specs on newer Olympus Bodies, have not bought one since the EPM1. I bought the EP2 new, with EVF2, when it first came out. The EVF2 has 1.44mpixel (dots?) resolution (600x800), and is "okay". The newest electronic viewfinders from Olympus have 2.4mpixel (~768x1024) resolution. Not much of an improvement for a 10 year span in the Digital world. The Full-Frame Panasonic Lumix S-1 has 5.76mpixel (~1200x1600) resolution for the finder. The Leica Q has 3.7mpixel ((~1000x1200) resolution, Nikon Z6/Z7 have the same. This is significant compared to my 10 year old finder, 2.36mpixel is a disappointment.

Higher resolution sensors will not do much for u43, as the existing ones already out-resolve the available lenses. Improving the viewfinder would have made the camera better. Olympus went from leading edge 10 years ago in EVF, to about 5 years behind the competition. Pouring money into high-end equipment that is stuck with 5-year old critical components is foolish.

When a nice Pen F hits $300, I'll pick one up. If it had a 5.76MPixel built-in electronics finder, I'd pay $800. But it doesn't.

Last edited:
How long before a professional photographer becomes dissatisfied with a 20MPixel camera. All of my Digital cameras are below 20MPixels, but I don;t make a living on them.

They will limit themselves to a niche market of professionals that publish lower resolution images without as much cropping and required post-processing of images. The format itself has pushed megapixels as far as is practical. The 12-bits per pixel is probably a limit of the size of the pixels in the sensor, the amount of material used sets a limit between saturation and noise. The company must introduce higher resolution electronic viewfinders, the current offering is 5 years behind the competition.

I suspect they will have a small market if dedication pro photographers with an investment in lenses that will want to upgrade bodies. I doubt they will attract new ones.

My issues for upgrading were rarely sensor MP related. I ran my business successfully for years on 6 and 12 mp Nikon DSLRS.

The only reason I really upgraded them was because of other system upgrades like faster FPS, better AF and metering. Those just happen to be attached to 20 and 24mp sensors. So, I had to take what they offered.

My issues for upgrading were rarely sensor MP related. I ran my business successfully for years on 6 and 12 mp Nikon DSLRS.

The only reason I really upgraded them was because of other system upgrades like faster FPS, better AF and metering. Those just happen to be attached to 20 and 24mp sensors. So, I had to take what they offered.
There were days when I really wished I'd kept my 12mp D700s. I have upgraded for better sensors, better ISO being the main reason. Only once have I specifically upgraded for MP.

They need a new sensor. We can go on about how many MP are good enough, but that won’t drive sales. Right or wrong, it’s reality.

Unfortunately, unless they go the route that Nikon took and design their own sensors and has someone fabricate it, the 20mp sensor may be the last one we see. Sony, whom they get their sensor from now, doesn’t seem to make the 4/3 sensor chips a priority (and frankly never really have) for upgrade.

what ever happened to that 'organic sensor' developed by Panasonic and Fuji, which created so much buzz ~4 years ago? Did that go nowhere? Or just into industrial applications?

e.g.:

what ever happened to that 'organic sensor' developed by Panasonic and Fuji, which created so much buzz ~4 years ago? Did that go nowhere? Or just into industrial applications?

e.g.:
Organic Sensor- some of the issues reported were Heat and Power Consumption. It was supposed to debut at the Olympics.
I guess they delayed it because the Olympics were canceled...
Or being Organic, it has to maintain social distancing from the photographer.

Back