Olympus Olympus Stylus 1 Review (Shooter's Report) @ Imaging Resource

Yeats

All-Pro
Name
Chris
Olympus Stylus 1 Review

In summary for part 1 of my Olympus Stylus 1 Shooter's Report, the shallow depth of field and dreamy bokeh possible with this $700 fixed lens camera is astonishing. It spurred me to look for other cameras to compare it to in this price range, and I simply couldn't find any. Yes, there are plenty of fabulous interchangeable-lens cameras out there for under $700, but a high quality constant aperture lens of this caliber for any of them will take you well over the Stylus 1's price point. As mentioned, the Sony RX10 has a larger sensor and gets close in the zoom department, but stops at 200mm vs the Stylus 1's 300mm equivalent. And the Panasonic FZ200's smaller sensor means higher noise as well as less-shallow depth of field at equivalent settings. Bottom line, there just isn't a competitor currently on the market that can do all the things that the Stylus 1 can do as good as it does at anywhere near this price.

Since my ultimate goal with a superzoom is shooting wildlife, 300mm just isn't enough for me, I need closer to a thousand.

That $700 would almost cover an EVF + 100-300 for my Oly.

I'm still kinda disappointed that I had 2 Fuji HS50EXR's die on me, that camera is so pleasant to use and the pics in DR mode are nice.

Its such a pest that I cannot buy the HS50EXR in Oz. Well I could but if it died, I would be really ticked off to have to send it back to the US. So not even considering it. I *am* considering the SL1000 (I can get that here), which apparently has a very good EVF. But this little one... oh yes. I think I'll be having this long before I was ever to get a huge zoomer.

Back