Olympus Olympus Stylus 1

Perhaps a decent vacation camera, but not the ideal travel camera.

Why only "decent" and "not the ideal travel camera"? You have a great zoom range and a relatively fast lens (at least from the point of view of what is basically an enthusiast P&S camera). To me this would be the perfect travel/vacation camera for someone who does not wish to carry around a bag full of bodies and lenses. (I know because I have done it all ways - bag full of lenses, single lens w/body and P&S camera).
Now - if I was planning on making HUGE prints from my travels - then we will have to wait to see what the camera can actually produce - but for most people, printing a vacation picture above 11x17 is a rarity.

I've also done it both ways - a bag full of bodies (or even only one body) and a bunch of lenses or a quality enthusiast compact. I much prefer traveling light when I'm on vacation or on the road. Again, the Sony RX10 looks like a wonderful camera. But it's just too much money for me at this point, I like the zoom range of the Stylus 1 more, and I know the image quality from cameras with 1/1.7" sensors like the Oly XZ2, Panasonic LX7 and Pentax MX-1 isn't bad at all.

I gave some thought to the Fuji XS when the price came down to $379 since I so liked my experience with that 2/3 sensor. It's just so big and heavy (a little over two pounds) that I would always just take my em5 and a few lenses. The RX10 is bit lighter but the zoom range stops a bit short of what I'd want in a long zoom camera. (Of course, for half the price I'd be all over it.) Small but not pocketable like the Stylus 1 is always an interesting tradeoff. The XF1 fits in a back pocket and once I take even a small bag I might as well take the EM5. I would recommend the Stylus to my friends, however.

There are also reviews / initial impressions at imaging-resource.com & dpnow.com if you are interested as this is yet another contender in the ever increasing ranks of 'serious' compact cameras to think about , especially as Christmas is fast approaching ;)

More G.A.S problems to mull over..........so many choices :)

Does read up as though it might just be yet another Olympus success, time will tell as to how it performs in the 'real world' and not just in the spec sheets.

It would be nice if a Stylus 1-esque body with a much longer lens were built around the Sony 1/2.3" 12MP sensor (like in the Canon SX50). That sensor is a little marvel, rivaling the larger 1/1.7" sensors used in "serious compacts". ;)

if compact size is crucial .. then why not GM1 kit (gives you 24mm covered) and add some entery level zoom lens like 45-150mm which is less than $200

- Some folks don't want to switch lenses.

- GM1 + 2 lenses is still much larger than the Stylus 1.

- GM1 + 2 lenses is significantly more expensive than the Stylus 1.

xz-1 is an excellent camera .. i would say maybe at the level of xz-2! as essentially sharing the same sensor!!

I'd say XZ-1 is better than XZ-2 simply because the sensor is a tad larger, and CCD to boot. I don't get why everyone is dropping CCD, I much prefer the "look" from a CCD sensor than from *MOS of any kind. I think its why I still have a hankering to buy a second hand K200D. I've never really taken to anything I have shot from the K-5. And I love the XZ-1 and Ricoh GRD3.

The Stylus 1 will have the same sensor as the XZ-2, and if I want a "good" bridge camera that I can actually afford and that won't weigh a ton... Stylus 1 is the only serious option. Though there are features in the Sony rX10 that really tug at me.

I'd say XZ-1 is better than XZ-2 simply because the sensor is a tad larger, and CCD to boot. I don't get why everyone is dropping CCD, I much prefer the "look" from a CCD sensor than from *MOS of any kind. I think its why I still have a hankering to buy a second hand K200D. I've never really taken to anything I have shot from the K-5. And I love the XZ-1 and Ricoh GRD3.

CMOS is cheaper than CCD, supports 1080p video, and better high-ISO performance.

Since you mention CCD vs CMOS, what I've found interesting is that I preferred the low-ISO, SOOC images from my 6MP CCD K100D to the 10MP CCD K2000... base ISO on my CMOS K-x was worse than either, but on the Pentax K-01 is wonderful.

I think it's telling that medium format cameras use CCD.

I'd say XZ-1 is better than XZ-2 simply because the sensor is a tad larger, and CCD to boot.

That's what I meant .. XZ-1 has a better sensor .. Stylus-1 got XZ-2 one.
However, maybe you preffer XZ-2's better higher ISO performance over XZ-1's better low ISO performance, as on tele-end of 300mm FFE, you would need a faster shutter speed, compare to XZ1's limited tele end. Also in my opinion Oly stylus-1 will complement your existing gear more than XZ-1 considering you already got fuji x100 for wide angle high resolution coverage!!

- Some folks don't want to switch lenses.

- GM1 + 2 lenses is still much larger than the Stylus 1.

- GM1 + 2 lenses is significantly more expensive than the Stylus 1.

Sorry mate, I guess was writing here stylus-1 but about Sony Rx10!

GM1 kit is very small like the size of Pentax q and the second lens like 45-150 will stay in your pocket, so less bulk on your neck strap compare to these bridge cameras!!

We have got the Stylus 1 in store and I must say I am rather taken with it. My Panny LF1 is OK but the S1 is far better in my opinion. The Bokeh is real nice and you can get real nice DOF at long zoom lengths. IQ looks very good also and even better than the XZ-1! I have asked my boss for a price as I'm really tempted to replace my M4/3 gear for one of these.

Back