Olympus Olympus Stylus 1

Here are a collection of Stylus 1 images. Rather than post them in a bunch of image threads, I thought I'd put them all here.

I really enjoy this camera. I can put up with small sensor limitations because it's so easy to grab and carry this camera, the lens is good and versatile, and the raw files clean up pretty well. The most pleasant surprise, however, is the very nice bokeh. I find it does need some underexposure, however, to save the highlights.

cows5-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

snake-L.jpg

moth%26flower-L.jpg

bfly2-L.jpg

bfly-L.jpg

sunflowers3-L.jpg

vents-L.jpg

plug%26daisy-L.jpg

I just got a used Stylus 1 in pristine condition for a bit over $300, and I'm very, very impressed with it, at least its raw files. I use it without a second thought up to iso 1250 and don't hesitate to go to 1600. With excellent 5 axis stabilization, I rarely have to go beyond that, but have gotten decent shots at 3200. All of this assumes shooting raw. The jpeg engine makes ugly mush of high iso shots, even with noise reduction off and the noise filter set to low, but that's generally how I feel about small sensor jpegs of high iso shots. Below are some shots That I've posted on other threads. The camera is a terrific little machine, produces good quality files, and is one I feel confident using for significant events. For an upcoming trip overseas, I'll have the 35mm, 50mm,and 90 equivalent focal lengths covered by primes. The Stylus 1 is sweet enough that I have no problem letting it cover everything else.
PB080087copy-X2.jpg
PA270038.jpg
PA280017.jpg
PA280029.jpg
i-ZrFZqgp-X2.jpg

These are great little cameras. I'm sorry Olympus decided the market doesn't warrant keeping the line going. I may take my Pen-F, my Leica X, or other cameras on a trip, but this is always in the bag. I don't like traveling with lenses that look (and weigh!) like field artillery, and this little marvel gives me considerable reach in a tiny package. One of my favorite all-time cameras.

These are great little cameras. I'm sorry Olympus decided the market doesn't warrant keeping the line going. I may take my Pen-F, my Leica X, or other cameras on a trip, but this is always in the bag. I don't like traveling with lenses that look (and weigh!) like field artillery, and this little marvel gives me considerable reach in a tiny package. One of my favorite all-time cameras.

I missed the boat with the Stylus1, I really wanted one, didn't have the money at the time, I blinked and they were gone. Can still buy them used from Japan at massive cost... nope.

Same here. Toyed with getting one several times. The cost of used Styluses on eBay now is ridiculous, more than you could buy one for brand new.
It seems as soon as word got out that there would be no more of them, the price shot up. I used to grab them used to give as gifts to people overseas, but I can't afford to do that now.

Despite having a variety of m4/3 gear, an RX100 and a FZ1000, I've recently fallen for the Stylus 1 superzoom. It was "as new" and cost £180 on ebay. I must say that I'm very pleased with the versatility and size. The 1/1.7" sensor isn't "state of the art" but I was always very fond of the files from my LX5. Here are a few from this week. It's quite refreshing to have a smallish compact with a great EVF and a 28-300mm f2.8 zoom. Admittedly the FZ1000 file quality is better but that's as big as my G85.

P6120034-Topaz.jpg

P6130055.jpg

P6170014.jpg

Nice! iirc, that camera's inability to be charged via USB was the reason I never bought one; apart from that, it was very tempting indeed. Casio had a version of it with USB charging, but no EVF.

Despite having a variety of m4/3 gear, an RX100 and a FZ1000, I've recently fallen for the Stylus 1 superzoom. It was "as new" and cost £180 on ebay. I must say that I'm very pleased with the versatility and size. The 1/1.7" sensor isn't "state of the art" but I was always very fond of the files from my LX5. Here are a few from this week. It's quite refreshing to have a smallish compact with a great EVF and a 28-300mm f2.8 zoom. Admittedly the FZ1000 file quality is better but that's as big as my G85.

View attachment 261388

View attachment 261389

View attachment 261390
Nice! And I am envious. I always wanted a Stylus 1s and I gave up looking because the only ones available to me on ebay were from Japan (which is good, they look after their gear) but too expensive :( I believe my XZ-1 is pretty much the same, and I did buy a VF2 to go with it… All in one would be better though, and it looks the goods!

Ha, B&H just had a used one for the same price - and I couldn't resist...
I'm getting more and more back into the "serious compacts" mindset - and there were some unique options out there...

What intrigued me were the nice colours I've seen from a lot of Stylus 1 photos. Plus the fact that it will have a very similar user experience as my EM5 (and other Oly cameras).
(Every time I pick up the Panasonic ZS50 I have to figure out anew, how to change any settings :-D )

I'll have to wait until it gets delivered next Thursday :)

View attachment 261388

View attachment 261389

View attachment 261390
And you really show what it can do in capable hands.

Back