Olympus Olympus Stylus 1

Thanks for your kind words. As I said earlier, I do have plenty of "better quality" equipment (including m4/3, FZ1000, X100s.........) but I really enjoy the Stylus for its size and versatility. The 1/1.7" sensor is more than adequate in decent light and a f2.8 28-300mm lens is a bonus. The EVF is great and my experience with an EM10 means that I can just about deal with the menus. Good luck with your new purchase Tilman - your portfolio shows that you have a marvellous eye for a shot.

Ha, I still find it funny that I order a Stylus 1 - and then discover this thread a few days later :)
I've received my Stylus 1 on Thursday and my first impressions are very positive. If you're an Olympus user, you can dive right in - all the familiar controls - and more... Very impressive little camera... (Plus I can use the battery from my E-PM2... and the RAW files open in Capture One...)

A few first snapshots - not doing the camera justice - more to check if the (used) camera is working properly :)

51362576557_553db55eeb_c.jpg
evening walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

51362436307_c99192680b_c.jpg
cat walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

51363924079_520f20cb2b_c.jpg
random view from window :) by tilman paulin, on Flickr

51363924464_880a1ffc35_c.jpg
random view from window :) by tilman paulin, on Flickr

A few from today's Sunday walk... Forests are stress tests for every camera - I think the Stylus 1 did nicely...
My favorite thing about the camera today was, how easily and well thought out the switch to manual focus is - without taking the eye from the viewfinder... It feels like a real camera - not a "point and shoot" :)

51367030074_2d4acf229b_c.jpg
Sunday walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

51367030329_3777f6de8c_c.jpg

51367030574_236c340232_c.jpg

51366515368_c02640d8c3_c.jpg

51366515593_a9fffd911c_c.jpg

this one is basically 600mm - a center crop & sharpened the "mossy owl" with Topaz AI Sharpen (you can just about find the mossy owl in the background of the next photo after this one)
51366296421_a2c179d5e1_c.jpg

51365538477_6a37431f2d_c.jpg

A few from today's Sunday walk... Forests are stress tests for every camera - I think the Stylus 1 did nicely...
My favorite thing about the camera today was, how easily and well thought out the switch to manual focus is - without taking the eye from the viewfinder... It feels like a real camera - not a "point and shoot" :)

View attachment 267504Sunday walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 267505Sunday walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 267506Sunday walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 267507Sunday walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 267508Sunday walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

this one is basically 600mm - a center crop & sharpened the "mossy owl" with Topaz AI Sharpen (you can just about find the mossy owl in the background of the next photo after this one)
View attachment 267509Sunday walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 267510Sunday walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr
If GAS was infectious, posts like this wouldn't help. :D

I really admire your forest shots as I generally have problems with such high contrast scenes. I agree that the ergonomics are pretty good and particularly FN2 button and clicky/clickless lens ring. My only current complaint is that I can't display the level gauge and highlight blinkies at the same time. Still very impressed with it as an overall package, especially the f2.8 28-300 zoom range, and find that I'm using it regularly when packing light.

P7300087.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Seasalter, Kent
P8030155.jpg

My stylus was showing signs of decrepitude (like me!). In particular, it did not want to change aperture manually with the front ring without a lot of fiddling. Eventually, it usually gets there, but as I tend to shoot aperture priority, it was becoming an issue.

Well, didn't I up and receive an early 70th birthday present of a brand new Stylus 1s. It's long been my favorite all in one compact. It does a lot of things very very well, and I'm pleased to have a replacement to the one that is now breaking down.

Still having fun with the Stylus 1. Here's a panorama from earlier today. I got very wet shortly afterwards.

P9290294-Pano.jpg

The arch in the background is Wembley Stadium which is 19.8 miles away as the crow flies. The 300mm reach is quite useful.
P9280272.jpg

And here is a lovely old house that I stumbled across on a walk in Kent. To quote Wikipedia : "Poundsbridge Manor, nicknamed "The Picture House", is an oak timber-framed house built in 1593 by John and Brian Durtnall for their father William, Rector of Penshurst from 1563 to 1596.[1][2] Originally, it was called "Durtnolls" and it has an inscription "1593 WD ETA 69". WD are the initials of William Durtnell and the letter D, looking like an inverted Q, is the Gothic form of the letter. ETA 69 (ETA is a mistake for "aet", aetatis suae) means he was 69 years old when the house was finished.[3] In 1678 it was owned by an Edmond Woodgate and he left it to his nephew Thomas Woodgate, a yeoman of Farningham, who left it to his wife. Later, it was divided in two and one part became a tavern."

P7080012.jpg

Y'know, the $$$ I've been considering putting toward a Fuji XF lens would cover one of these nicely. Hmmmm . . . . :D
Haha, if one can accept the limitations of an older "small sensor" - then the Stylus 1 is really one of the most enjoyable cameras I've used. Small form factor - great usability (if you're already familiar with cameras like the Oly EM5) and a super versatile reach of 28-300mm.

If you're looking for small - and things like a viewfinder aren't crucial, then I guess cameras like the Olympus XZ2 could be an interesting option too :)

Haha, if one can accept the limitations of an older "small sensor" - then the Stylus 1 is really one of the most enjoyable cameras I've used. Small form factor - great usability (if you're already familiar with cameras like the Oly EM5) and a super versatile reach of 28-300mm.

If you're looking for small - and things like a viewfinder aren't crucial, then I guess cameras like the Olympus XZ2 could be an interesting option too :)
The sensor was small but the lens was so nice. I always thought it was a marvelous camera. Olympus made a particular set of choices and compromises and then nailed the execution.

A few Kentish oast houses from my walk earlier this week. Oasts were used to dry hops for beer-making. The first was built in 1660 and is unusual in having a square and two cylindrical towers.

PA260413.jpg

PA260415.jpg

PA260417.jpg

PA260419.jpg

Back