Olympus Olympus Stylus 1

Autumn (fall) colours. On a negative note, I think I may have encountered the broken capacitor problem because the date & time reset itself at the last battery change. A nuisance but not the end of the world.......

PB110475.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PB110476.jpg

PB110487.jpg

I've had my new (to me, but really only very lightly used) Stylus 1S for about a week now, and am just starting to get the hang of it. One of the best things about it is the small (almost-but-not-quite pocketable) size and light weight - which make it easy to bring along on a walk or a stroll. A quick handful of shots from my morning wandering around town.

First, a fire hydrant. (I've been obsessed with taking pictures of fire hydrants for years, it may be worth consulting a psychiatrist to figure out why).

Stylus_Nov20_21_fire_hydrant#1.jpg

Second, the same hydrant again...but closer up, and seen vertically.

Stylus_Nov20_21_fire_hydrant#3.jpg

Then, a detail from a cool mailbox which I passed.

Stylus_Nov20_21_bird_mailbox#1.jpg

The mailbox shot, in particular, would not have been possible without the extreme telephoto end of the small Zuiko zoom, whereas the relatively wider angle end is good other types of perspectives. It's proving to be quite a useful zoom range.

Lastly, an image of small-town life - where a 'free' chair, left on the sidewalk, has now been upended and seems to be in the process of becoming an art installation.

Stylus_Nov20_21_upsidedown_chair#1.jpg

I like this camera.

I've had my new (to me, but really only very lightly used) Stylus 1S for about a week now, and am just starting to get the hang of it. One of the best things about it is the small (almost-but-not-quite pocketable) size and light weight - which make it easy to bring along on a walk or a stroll. A quick handful of shots from my morning wandering around town.

First, a fire hydrant. (I've been obsessed with taking pictures of fire hydrants for years, it may be worth consulting a psychiatrist to figure out why).

View attachment 278851

Second, the same hydrant again...but closer up, and seen vertically.

View attachment 278852

Then, a detail from a cool mailbox which I passed.

View attachment 278853

The mailbox shot, in particular, would not have been possible without the extreme telephoto end of the small Zuiko zoom, whereas the relatively wider angle end is good other types of perspectives. It's proving to be quite a useful zoom range.

Lastly, an image of small-town life - where a 'free' chair, left on the sidewalk, has now been upended and seems to be in the process of becoming an art installation.

View attachment 278856

I like this camera.
Very nice! I particularly like the postbox one!
Congrats on getting the Stylus 1s! :)
It’s an enjoyable and capable little camera (to the point that I question my need for my m43 14-150mm 3.5-5.6 zoom :) )

One of the best cameras in its class ever made. I regret they discontinued it as the larger sensor competition are mostly huge and heavy. I just replaced mine, which was having issues changing aperture. I always take it when I travel, for the telephoto reach, but I also take the Pen F or D-lux 109 and the Leica X. If you have to travel light its a perfect complement to something with a bigger sensor but less range. At least that is how I use it. But it has gotten costly as it becomes less common to find ones with light use.

Last edited:
I seriously wonder sometimes whether instead of looking for these wonderful old "specialty cameras" (Olympus E1 and Stylus 1, DP merrills), I should just bite the bullet and learn to use something that's easily replaceable... like the Sony RX100's or all the other "boring" tools... :)
Would take a lot of the "what do I do once it breaks"-stress away :)

Last edited:
Indeed. I did a quick scan of ebay the other day and costs for the 1s in AUD are around $700… and even though I always wanted one and was too late to buy new… I sure can’t justify that for second hand, even if it is coming from Japan.
I'm in the UK and would say that it isn't worth AUD$700 (approx £350). I got my mint example on ebay for about £180. As someone whose primary consideration is generally value, I thought that was a good price for a great optical package. However, a used FZ1000 is about £400 used and that is a lot more accomplished (but obviously very much larger). The Sony RX10 is similar to the FZ1000, cheaper and with less range. The Sony RX100 with the 24-200mm range is much closer in form and with better image quality (but not a fixed f2.8 lens) and costs over £600 used currently. Maybe wait for a couple of years and pick up a RX100vi...............

A heron flew near me on a golf course yesterday. I powered-up, zoomed to 300mm and grabbed a few BIF shots. This was the best but all were a bit noisy at 400 ISO.

PC030596.jpg

I put it through Topaz Sharpen AI and cropped to this. It's not going to win any prizes but I was quite pleased for a grab with a 1/1.7" sensor.

PC030596-Edit.jpg

Nothing of the moment, but a couple of shots from 2 years ago during Hmong New Year in PHonasavan, Laos. I miss the people and the party stretched out over a week. The little girl, named Laura, is named after my mother, and she is a delight. I consider the couple with the baby my son and daughter in law. Hmong New Year is taking place now, though because of covid, not too much is going on. I'm posting the pictures because I happened to be fiddling with them today to feel closer to people so far away. I have no problem trusting the Stylus with pictures of people I love.
P8010090.jpg
P8010107.jpg
P8010138.jpg

A couple of quick grabs from this morning's walk with the dog. Because she gets impatient and tugs when I stop for too long, I have to shoot one handed. The Stylus does nicely for that . I forgot to reset the aperture to 4.5 when I went outside. Oh well.
PC080109.jpg
PC080111.jpg

Olympus Stylus 1S.jpg
Got mine today.

Stylus 1S with 2398 shutter actuations and 25 flash fires, came in its box with charger, neck-strap, wrist-strap, one extra battery and a cd with something on, outside of the box was one of those teleconverter things with its mounting bracket, I really cant see me using that much, but may try it on, both just on the camera and as an addition to the built in digital TC, for a whooping 1020mm reach.

It is smaller than what I expected based on the pictures I have seen, and first impression is rather positive. I took a dive into the drawer of many bag and found a NOS Lowepro AF2, which fits it reasonably well, if a bit on the tall side, so brought it with me on the daily hike and it is a rather smashing machine, even though it may show its age somewhat in a bit uncivilised CA.

This one has been through the PP grinder:

Moon.jpg

sunfog.jpg

I think I could have been somewhat happy, just running this one. By some notion, the dreaded Oly menu system, which made for an easy decision to sell off the TG-6, seems somewhat more harnessed in the Stylus.

Last edited:
I was walking near Berwick Church in Sussex today and paid a visit. Parts of the church date back to the 12th century.

PC310657.jpg

Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant were members of the Bloomsbury group of artists, writers and intellectuals and settled nearby. They painted murals in the church in 1941.
PC310641.jpg

PC310643.jpg

PC310648.jpg

I think that the bright lens and image stabilisation coped admirably in the interior.

Attachments

• PC310657.jpg
    PC310657.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Snow in the mountains last night, but just heavy rain in the valley. Hope the New Year brings more moisture than the last several years.
I do like this little camera - perfect in a small pouch on my belt while I walk the dog.
Happy New Year to all.
New Year Mountain Snow 2022 copy.jpg

Back