Olympus Olympus Stylus 1

One source of frustration though - I'm giving up on trying to find a functioning spare for the Stylus 1.
Either I'm very unlucky (with 3 unsuccessful tries via B&H and keh) - or there's just a lot of issues with the camera:
1) 1st one had a 4 or 5 second shutter lag at the long end (press the shutter and the image was taken 4 or 5 seconds later)
2) 2nd one had been dissambled and re-assembled by previous owner - camera body was creaking and in pretty bad shape
3) 3rd one can't focus at all at the long end of the lens on far away objects (AF fails to acquire any focus and MF can't focus far enough to infinity)

So I'm hoping that my current camera lasts a long time :)

I would be proud to have taken any one of the those shots . . . let alone the whole series. Nice work on the woodpecker . . . they are notoriously shy . . . will slide around to the other side of the tree as soon as you raise your camera.

Cheers, Jock

I'm still using the Stylus 1 though a new intermittent problem has appeared where "no card" is displayed. If I eject and reinsert the card it seems OK. I've tried a different card but the problem still occurs occasionally.
The 300mm equivalent reach is very useful with wildlife. Here's a grab shot of a bird of prey (maybe a red kite?) which cleaned up nicely in Topaz denoise.

P7071176-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

.....and here's one of some deer. This was processed using Dxo Deep Prime. I'm new to the Dxo software but it seems to do a great job with the Olympus Stylus files.

P5180762-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

And while I'm talking about DxO Deep Prime, here's an example on a 3200 ISO shot taken in darkness with the Olympus Stylus 1.
The first is in Lightroom though I admit that my sharpening and noise reduction skills with the sliders are poor.

PB030468.jpg

and this is with default settings in DxO Deep Prime:

PB030468-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

P1021602-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

P1021617-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

These two are with the Stylus 1 but I've also been experimenting with a Lumix LF1 as an alternative - the LF1 is very small with a 1/1.7" sensor, EVF and a 28-200 zoom. I'm very fond of my Lumix LX5 and hoped that the LF1 would be similar but offer a longer zoom range. However, I've been very disappointed. The Stylus 1 is in a different league entirely. The Stylus 1 is a brilliant package.

Last edited:
View attachment 373217

View attachment 373209

I've been experimenting with a Lumix LF1 as an alternative pocketable camera as it's very small with a 1/1.7" sensor, EVF and a 28-200 zoom. I'm very fond of my Lumix LX5 and hoped that the LF1 would be similar but offer a longer zoom range. However, I've been very disappointed. The Stylus 1 is in a different league entirely. The Stylus 1 is a brilliant package.
I have a LF1 that I really ought to use more for getting to know it better, it was mainly bought for its miniscule size and LVF.

Was out and about today, and choose the newer (to me) Canon G15 as a companion but I really should take the Stylus out for an airing again. Its been a while and it deserves better. As do the ZX-1, which was the contender for todays outing.

I attended the Elton John farewell tour last night at the London O2 Arena. It's a large space with a 20,000 capacity and I unfortunately was seated quite near the back. This gives an idea of my seating position.

P4131823-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

For an "old" compact, the combination of a 1/1.7" sensor with a 28-300mm f2.8 zoom gave me a few shots that I'm pleased with.

P4131832-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

P4131833-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

P4131856-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

I attended the Elton John farewell tour last night at the London O2 Arena. It's a large space with a 20,000 capacity and I unfortunately was seated quite near the back. This gives an idea of my seating position.

View attachment 380269
For an "old" compact, the combination of a 1/1.7" sensor with a 28-300mm f2.8 zoom gave me a few shots that I'm pleased with.

View attachment 380271

View attachment 380272

View attachment 380273
I saw Alan Partridge live there last year. The seating was terrible for anyone over four foot tall, so I hope things improved for the perfromance.

Back