News Olympus to exit, or at least scale back, from the digital camera market?

I have a Pen-F, an EM-5, and a Stylus 1s, so I hope this isn't true. I still have a bitter taste from the abandonment of the OM system many years that left a lot of us hanging, though God knows there was plenty of used stuff to keep one going. Maybe I'll take the plunge and just go with Fuji, which I've thought of for a while. I decided to keep one system and sell my X-Pro 1 because I had a drawer full of M43 glass. Maybe I made the wrong decision. I sure loved that hybrid VF in the XPro.

Even if it was true, there will be loads of used and new gear for quite some time.
Just last year (2018!) I managed to grab a "brand-new in box" Olympus 12-60mm four -thirds lens from amazon itself for $300 🙃

Either way, Olympus needs to not hold back with the E-M5 mk3.
If they limit it too much in order to "protect" their 2 year old E-M1 mk2 they'll have a problem, I think.

Olympus is pulling out of the camera market in South Korea.

Olympus will end its consumer camera operations in South Korea, the company announced on Wednesday.

The Japanese optics giant said it "wanted to provide great products and services" but decided to end operations in the country due to the rapid contraction of the local camera market.

The company said it will close its offline and online stores by June 30, but would continue to provide repair services until 31 March 2026.

I did not realize there is still friction between South Korea and Japan left from WW-II. Apparently there is a "Boycott Japan" movement from recent court orders for compensation to South Koreans from WW-II, and Japan placing restrictions on exports of material for semiconductors. Bringing this up as there are other factors involved in the decision by Olympus to pull out of South Korea.

One factor that should be mentioned with lower camera sales: I would like to see statistics on how many people have stopped using their DSLR's, Interchangeable lens mirrorless, and P&S Digitals. This versus camera sales. The continuous flood of new models with minor improvements is tiresome. Digital cameras from 5 years ago are good enough for most people. My Olympus EP2 is good enough for most people. For Olympus and other manufacturers: the price of Lenses is high, and build quality is miserable compared to older generations. Way too much marketing hype surrounding new equipment, not enough improvement in features to warrant replacing existing equipment.

Last edited:
Olympus is pulling out of the camera market in South Korea.
Olympus will end its consumer camera operations in South Korea, the company announced on Wednesday.​
The Japanese optics giant said it "wanted to provide great products and services" but decided to end operations in the country due to the rapid contraction of the local camera market.​
The company said it will close its offline and online stores by June 30, but would continue to provide repair services until 31 March 2026.​

I believe based on some research I’ve done that this is based on politics, war repetitions and potentially racism/nationalism. A recent court ruling mandated that Nippon Steel pay war reparations to South Korean survivors.

then a movement started to boycott all Japanese products in South Korea. Seems to me that a struggling Olympus was the latest casualty in this whole thing.

Back