Olympus XZ-1 for $199.99 at Amazon

Amin

Hall of Famer
With the XZ-2 coming out at $599.99, Amazon now has the Olympus XZ-1 for $199.99.

It's a heck of a deal. In my opinion, nothing else comes close to offering this much camera at this price point. I had two of them in my shopping cart as gifts, but there is a limit of 1 per customer.

Direct link: Olympus XZ-1 at AmazonView attachment 60965

616peCNWejL.jpg

I'll tell you this is a good reason why we should all learn patience....at least with many cameras the prices do drop.

Not in the market myself but it sure is a good deal!

Uhmmm... for my 6-year old daughter, maybe? But she'll keep it in Daddy's bag. :D

That's actually what I meant by "gift". One for each of my boys, who are 8 and 9. The little one has his heart set one on of these instead, but I had a hard time spending almost as much on a camera which is nowhere near as good. Since Amazon wouldn't let me pickup 2 XZ1s at that price, I ended up getting the kids what they wanted, and the Canons (x2) are en route.

Would anyone care to comment if the improvements in the Oly replacement (XZ-2) are really worth 3 times the price of admission? I imagine the XZ-2's photos won't be 3X better than the XZ-1's, but will the IQ, better sensor, features, performance, battery life, etc. be worth the additional $400 ($599 total) to a casual/hobby enthusiast photographer? If not, I plan to jump on this deal as I don't currently have a pocketable camera that can come close to the indoor performance of this camera (without flash).

It all depends on how much you value having the latest and greatest, but overall the improvements are pretty small: slightly better controls, slightly better sensor, new grip, same lens, touch sensitive display, etc.

I don't think the improvements will be worth the 3x cost for most people.

honestly, unless you're an obsessive pixel peeper, I would say the difference is FAR from being worth 3x the price. Some people need to be on the bleeding edge. When the XZ-1 come out a year or so ago it was in amongst the best in class. You can't go wrong.

My wife yesterday by email: "Hey we need a new camera at work for les than $500. We need it for taking pictures of speakers during talks, general shots of the city, etc. Any suggestions?"

My wife lost her old Canon P&S and the flash on her beloved Pentax Optio I-10 has ceased to function. Guess what she's getting for Xmas? She actually uses her camera a lot and, to be honest, with the Q and E-PM1, I won't be using the XZ-1.

The XZ-1 came in today. I'm charging it now to snap a few to make sure all is well. Very similar in size to the E-PM1, but of course the XZ-1 has a really nice lens that would be quite a bit bigger for mu43.

An amazing deal on this great little shooter

It was just too good a deal to pass up. Here's a couple of shots at iso 100 and 800. Color at 800, if even reasonably exposed, looks good to me. Both images were developed from raw into 16 bit tiffs, and then worked from there. I don't like the jpeg engine in it, but I usually shoot raw anyway, so it's not really an issue. Each was given a slight additional high pass sharpening in photoshop, but that is how I treat almost all my images from any camera. At 100 iso, the camera can give stunningly good results for its class, I think.

PB097095.jpg
PB076999 copy.jpg

Back