Olympus Olympus XZ-1

Lainer

Regular
I like shooting with compact cameras. I bought this on Olympus XZ-1 off eBay. Smaller sensor compact camera, but still a blast to use. I guess the XZ-2 may be a better camera, but I am only learning about this particular model XZ-1 and its rave reviews on Flickr. People apparently really love this compact camera. I find this fun to use and love the super macro mode. I bought mine in white. I like the B&W images coming out of it so much I may also get an EPL series, or even a Pen F or MK5. Anyone know about these Olympus cameras? I like the idea of a high-res mode and the weatherproof, plus the tack sharp lenses. I use many cameras and Fuji X series is my go-to camera, but I also use Sigma DP Merrill and Ricoh GR along with others. I used to use the Sony NEX and A6000 series but hated those E lenses, the ARW raw files and colors. Olympus has always intrigued me and the thought of IBIS is very interesting. Can anyone tell me about Olympus? Meanwhile, I hope you like the shots coming out of this Olympus XZ-1.
rose3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
third092817.jpg
Agritopia Branches.jpg
nap.jpg
Donuts.jpg
JoeJohnston.jpg
UprootedKitchen.jpg
Coffee Girl.jpg
2895Oz.jpg
2894Oz.jpg
Dominic Sitting.jpg
RoseBW1.jpg
RoseBW.jpg
KissCowboy.jpg

I still have my XZ-1 and chose to keep it, rather than update to the XZ-2, because I like the CCD output. XZ-2 went CMOS. Interestingly I hardly ever get it out. Your post is making me think its time to get it out again!

REcommendation... get a VF2/3 for those bright days if you want to be out and about with it. I have the 2, its excellent.

Lovely shots, which demonstrate how flexible it can be.

I still have my XZ-1 and chose to keep it, rather than update to the XZ-2, because I like the CCD output. XZ-2 went CMOS. Interestingly I hardly ever get it out. Your post is making me think its time to get it out again!

REcommendation... get a VF2/3 for those bright days if you want to be out and about with it. I have the 2, its excellent.

Lovely shots, which demonstrate how flexible it can be.

Oh, I didn't know the XZ-2 didn't have a CCD. That was one reason why I did buy the XZ-1 though. I did know the older model had it. I love CCD files. Thanks for the compliments. What does the VF2/3 look like and cost? Is it electronic? Also, what are you using instead of this nowadays? Why did you choose the VF2 over the VF3 which locks? Is it due to it being less pixels to see?

Last edited:
I posted a similar original thread in the wrong area, (Canon one inch sensor cameras?), as I am new here. Sorry in advance about that. Anyway, bought this Olympus XZ-1 on eBay and love it because it has a sharp, fast lens with CCD sensor. It's a fun camera to use and I bought the white version, which is cool. Anyway, do any of you know where I can get the VF2/3 ? Which is better? VF2 or 3? Is it an electronic viewfinder? Also, anyone use those EPL (7 or 8) series Olympus cameras, with the micro 4/3rds sensors? Are they as much fun and are the shots better in dynamic range due to the sensor size? I am really loving this XZ-1, so I wonder what the other Olympus cameras will be like? I was also looking at the OMD Em5 Mark II.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I didn't know the XZ-2 didn't have a CCD. That was one reason why I did buy the XZ-1 though. I did know the older model had it. I love CCD files. Thanks for the compliments. What does the VF2/3 look like and cost? Is it electronic? Also, what are you using instead of this nowadays? Why did you choose the VF2 over the VF3 which locks? Is it due to it being less pixels to see?

The VF-2 has the option to have an eyecup, which the VF-3 doesnt. The VF-2 has better resolution as well. They are not cheap, though as you are in the USA you might do better than I did. Mine cost me $250AUD. And I havent ever bought that eyecup!!

What am I using instead of the XZ? Different cameras for different reasons. I’ve pretty much stopped using my DSLRs and have some superzooms as well as a Panasonic LX100. I’ll never let the XZ-1 go until it dies. We had some screen issues a while back but it seems to have sorted itself out pretty well.

Here’s an old one I shot shortly after I bought it. Tripod in use of course, I could not have handheld this one

0DF02690-D0F7-47F8-9C80-DCD0E870B057.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s an old one I shot shortly after I bought it. Tripod in use of course, I could not have handheld this one[/QUOTE]

That's a lovey shot. I think this camera is a lot of fun. I have a Leica D-Lux 4, which I love, but the AF on it is so slow it is almost painful to use. The results are lovely, but I think in low light this has an edge. I also have a Sony RX100 V which has all the bells and whistles, but the files are sharper coming from this camera. I've used a lot of Sony products and although I do like this small camera, I hate the colors coming out of Sony, the ARW files are annoying, and the lens isn't as sharp as other cameras. The Olympus XZ-1 is just a blast to use, even it being older technology. Here are some shots of #OzzyTheFrenchie I took today with it.
2899Oz.jpg
second100217.jpg

I posted a similar original thread in the wrong area, (Canon one inch sensor cameras?), as I am new here. Sorry in advance about that. Anyway, bought this Olympus XZ-1 on eBay and love it because it has a sharp, fast lens with CCD sensor. It's a fun camera to use and I bought the white version, which is cool. Anyway, do any of you know where I can get the VF2/3 ? Which is better? VF2 or 3? Is it an electronic viewfinder? Also, anyone use those EPL (7 or 8) series Olympus cameras, with the micro 4/3rds sensors? Are they as much fun and are the shots better in dynamic range due to the sensor size? I am really loving this XZ-1, so I wonder what the other Olympus cameras will be like? I was also looking at the OMD Em5 Mark II.

Last week I picked up an EPL7 for a great price to try with my m43 lenses - I used it with my Panasonic 20mm f1.7 for a few days and really liked it; the (selfie-friendly!) articulated touchscreen, in particular, is the nicest I have used. If there was an XZ model with the same articulation, I would snap it up!

I have had both XZ-1 and XZ-2 and loved them, and still think about getting another XZ-2 (my preference over the first model due to the articulated touchscreen, brilliant multifunction ring around the lens, built in ND filter and more programmable function buttons). The files from the larger m43 sensors in the EPL range - I've had EPL3, 5 and 7 - are nicer, of course, but looking back over old photos from the XZs these little compacts punched above their weight, and were fantastic for macros. I had an Olympus Stylus 1 for a while, thinking it would be the answer (longer zoom, brilliant viewfinder, WiFi, etc), but the files were terrible in low light compared with XZ-2 - maybe it was just my copy, but the constant f2.8 aperture didn't make me as happy as expected.

I have quite a few cameras with larger sensors, but I keep coming back to this Olympus XZ-1 because it's fun to use.

Ozzy Walk.jpg
ring.jpg
Pottery.jpg
Wildflower.jpg
Cactus.jpg
DeadLeaf vivid.jpg
bird.jpg
dead leaf B&W.jpg
Diane Sandwich.jpg
FlowerBW.jpg
flower1.jpg
flower.jpg

I have the eyecup, costed a ridiculous 30+ euros for a piece of rubber, but is very helpful to avoid scratching (sun) glasses. But I agree, matches better with an E-PL something. I use it currently on an E-PL1, love that sensor.

I have the eyecup, costed a ridiculous 30+ euros for a piece of rubber, but is very helpful to avoid scratching (sun) glasses. But I agree, matches better with an E-PL something. I use it currently on an E-PL1, love that sensor.

LOL! I was considering an early model E-P something, and I found a E-PL2 but havent bought it because... money. The VF looks bloody silly on the XZ but it works a treat :)

2911Oz.jpg
It's why I didn't buy one. I agree about an EP series because of bigger sensor, able to change lenses and viewfinder would fit better, but I wont give up on the XZ-1 because it's fun.

Back