Micro 4/3 OM-1 post-processing software

Cederic

Regular
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html suggests that my ancient copy of Lightroom 6.14 will be able to process OM-1 raw files if I can upgrade it to CameraRaw 14.2 or later.
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html suggests I can just download and install it.

Anybody know if that'll actually work? Might save me £10/month.

Also: early feedback was that Lightroom support for the OM-1 wasn't great. Is anybody here using it now, and how are they finding it (including Lightroom Classic, as I suspect I'll end up with that anyway)?

I don't even have the camera yet, I'm just getting all excited and trying to make sure I can go from 'click' to 'hey everyone, look what my new toy can do' in the shortest possible time after it arrives.

If you want to use the current version of Camera Raw you need the current version of Photoshop. Similarly if you want to process OM-1 files in Lightroom you need the current version of Lightroom (although Lightroom uses the same Raw development engine as Camera Raw, it doesn’t use Camera Raw, so updating Camera Raw won’t help you with Lightroom).

The only way to use Lightroom and avoid the Adobe subscription is to convert your OM-1 Raw files to DNG using Adobe’s DNG Converter (assuming it has been updated to support the OM-1), and then process them in Lightroom 6. IMO the subscription is worth it, as Lightroom has improved a lot since version 6, plus you get Photoshop.

Sorry but you're caught in Lightroom renaming confusion.

Adobe shifted to focus on cloud storage, mobile image access, etc a couple of years ago and renamed the versions. Your Lightroom 6.14 (based on that version number) is the last release of the perpetual license software. The current version of that product is now called Lightroom Classic and the current version is 11.2. Lightroom is the new product and is version 5.2. So as you look at the chart, it's not supported by the perpetual license version. The camera RAW plugin is for Photoshop.

You could use the Adobe DNG converter if you want to continue to use your current version. I've used it in the past, but when I finally bought an unsupported camera I bit the bullet and upgraded.

1651199112752.png

Capture One also recently added support for the OM-1, you can either get it outright or via subscription. There currently is a 40% discount promotion going on by using coupon code Spring40, they also have a 30-day trial.

DXO, to my knowledge, also stated they are going to add support for the OM-1 with their software, however no exact timeframe has been giving. Considering previous experiences, I guess it should be out sometime this summer. DXO works extremely well in combination with Micro Four Thirds in general, as their DeepPRIME noise reduction technology is extremely efficient cleaning up the files.

Ah, I'd missed the renaming from Lightroom CC so stopped reading at 'Minimum Lightroom version required' instead of noticing the final column.

Thank you, that's saved me a painful hour or two of "why isn't this working" before I even start.

I learned that On1 is working on an update to handle the OM-1, but no timing is shown. I’m using the OMDS software in the meanwhile, and it’s capable for basic editing, but I don’t think it handles layers.

At the moment , I'm using workspace to convert to tiff, then DxO PL5 to finish it. It's not ideal as you can't use all of DxO's noise reduction abilities on tiffs, so I'm looking forward to full compatibility.

Today DXO released version 5.3 for their PhotoLab 5 software. The new version fully supports both the OM-1, as well as the GH6, there are also some bug fixes, smaller improvements as well as an improved integration with their own NikCollection.

The next pretty much guaranteed sale would be Black Friday. Sometimes though, DXO is doing a summer sale with some discounts. Also keep in mind the next major version of PhotoLab is going to be released in about four months.

Finally have shiny new toy, downloaded OM Workspace to update firmware and.. that's a hefty bit of software.

Lacking in the library management though so I'm still going to stick with Lightroom (and its Smugmug plug-in). Anybody tried combining the two? Wondering if the OM Workspace's AI noise reduction is going to be worth keeping in my workflow.

I probably will just update. I really like DxO and Deep Prime. As long as the promised OM-1 is delivered in the next couple of weeks, the upgrade is worth it.
The latest PL5 update will handle OM1 files, including hires (at least HHHR). I got it last week.

I gave the OM Workspace AI noise a workout with the ISO 51200 image I shared in the samples thread.

It.. didn't do the job for me. Looked like it had sharpened parts of the image and it had dealt with the noise, but far too aggressively - where detail was subtle it was entirely lost.

Lightroom Classic's subject mask inverted with noise reduction on the background was a far more effective way to reduce the noise while keeping the detail on the subject, so I'm going to stick with that.

(In other news, I am now sadly paying Adobe money every month)

Back