Micro 4/3 OM-5 has been released:

It's for all intents and purposes, an E-M5 Mark IV by other name. If mark 3 had E-M1.2 innards stuffed in it, the mark 4 has E-M1.3's.

Very modest update and certainly below the overhyped expectations of some people. :)
Agree, and it is a somewhat strange upgrade as well, I wonder how many units they have in stock of that particular sensor.

I would have expected a capped/dumbed down OM1, technology-wise (or at least sensor-wise), not a EM1MkIII with some upgrades/downgrades, which actually are the EM10MkIVs domain.

Makes me wonder what they are going for in the OM10, when that comes around.

The meeting literature I got from OMDS stated that this is a flagship camera. Makes me wonder what they are classifying the OM-1 as then?

Very odd new release. Not sure if OMDS has a clue at this point on where they want to go. This does not bolster a lot of confidence for the future for me. Thankfully the EM1.2 has been a solid performer and one that has not made me want to upgrade.

Essentially, this is pretty similar to the EM5 iii with enhanced IP53 weather sealing, which is for me the only really important upgrade. Maybe the handheld hi rez. Given that the EM5 iii is currently only $900, is that worth the extra $300? Of course, that makes the EM5 iii more appealing for a lower price so I am still grappling with GAS. :doh: I'm a bit surprised they didn't include a USB-C charging port.

Last edited:
Meet the new reactions, same as the old reactions.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised at all. It has been OM/Olympus' MO for years now - the '5' camera is the previous '1' camera in a smaller form factor. For many of us, that is what we want. Though, USB-C would have been better.

Last edited:
Seems like this model will allow them to end the E-M1.3 and 5.3 lines and keep the lineup simple.
According to one of the rumour sites from earlier this week, those models has been axed. It somewhat fits with the newly held (heavy) discounted sales on them, the EM-1MkIII was at $1300 over here since early august, but no dumping price on the EM-5MkIII, it held at $1200, but you could get it with the 12-45 f:4 for $1700, not very impressed by that at all.

A lot of folks seem disappointed, but this is actually what I’ve been waiting for. Coming from having an E-M5ii, it’s added HHHR, Live ND filters, and starry sky AF, which even my old E-M1x didn’t have. It’s got a nicer OLED viewfinder, and is somehow even better weather sealed. Sure, the new menu system would have been nice (and really is a glaring absence), but as far as a compact, rugged travel camera goes, this ticks all the boxes for me. I don’t need an OM1 (even though their employee discount just kicked in for me on it, and it is attractive), because my R5 does all the animal tracking I could ever need, and slightly better according to most reviewers.
I plan on divesting in most my remaining m4/3 gear, but I’ll be hanging onto my 12-45 pro (and Leica 15mm) with every intention of buying the OM5 when they turn on the employee discount in a few months. It’ll be a great little weather sealed travel option that I don’t currently have.

Last edited:
I was anticipating they would do the same as EM5.3 (putting EM1.2 tech in smaller body) with OM5 (putting EM1.3 tech in smaller body). So I would have liked to replace my EM1.3 (now my back up camera) with OM5. However, using the same EVF as EM5.3 is a deal killer for me as it causes big headache to me after just an hour of use. Anyhow, one thing I wish OMDS at least should have done is to adopt the new menu system of OM-1. I also hope they make the use of custom mode easier to use (ability to assign to other buttons) unlike EM5.3.

A lot of folks seem disappointed, but this is actually what I’ve been waiting for. Coming from having an E-M5ii, it’s added HHHR, Live ND filters, and starry sky AF, which even my old E-M1x didn’t have. It’s got a nicer OLED viewfinder, and is somehow even better weather sealing. Sure, the new menu system would have been nice (and really is a glaring absence), but as far as a compact, rugged travel camera goes, this ticks all the boxes for me. I don’t need an OM1 (even though their employee discount just kicked in for me on it, and it is attractive), because my R5 does all the animal tracking I could ever need, and slightly better according to most reviewers.
I plan on divesting in most my remaining m4/3 gear, but I’ll be hanging onto my 12-45 pro (and Leica 15mm) with every intention of buying the OM5 when they turn on the employee discount in a few months. It’ll be a great little weather sealed travel option that I don’t currently have.
Chris, are you sure about newer and better OLED EVF?

A lot of folks seem disappointed, but this is actually what I’ve been waiting for. Coming from having an E-M5ii, it’s added HHHR, Live ND filters, and starry sky AF, which even my old E-M1x didn’t have. It’s got a nicer OLED viewfinder, and is somehow even better weather sealing. Sure, the new menu system would have been nice (and really is a glaring absence), but as far as a compact, rugged travel camera goes, this ticks all the boxes for me. I don’t need an OM1 (even though their employee discount just kicked in for me on it, and it is attractive), because my R5 does all the animal tracking I could ever need, and slightly better according to most reviewers.
I actually like a lot about this camera too. I don’t care for some of the button and menu limitations that the 5.3 has versus the 1.3, so I really hope they move the 1.3 menus and features over. Things like easy AF-mode control, and a programmable button for face detect on/off. Really about the only 2 custom features I wish my 5.3 had that were easily possible for software engineers. Throw in HHHR and LiveND, and it’s more than good enough for me. Might be an upgrade for down the road.

Chris, are you sure about newer and better OLED EVF?
From the e-m5ii, yes. That didn’t have the OLED viewfinder. This looks like the one from the Pen F or maybe the mark iii, which although the same resolution if I recall, was at least OLED, which sounds like they don’t agree with you. I’ve heard that from other Pen F users. For me, I consider it an upgrade from the mark ii.

Last edited:
From the e-m5ii, yes. That didn’t have the OLED viewfinder. This looks like the one from the Pen F or maybe the mark iii, which although the same resolution if I recall, was at least OLED, which sounds like they don’t agree with you. I’ve heard that from other Pen F users. For me, I consider it an upgrade from the mark ii.
I missed that you are comparing to EM5.2 :). It isn't all about OLED type because I am fine with OM1 OLED. What it is on EM5.3 quality, resolution, etc, it is a deal breaker with OM5 to replace my EM1.3 (which I was planning to do).

Anyhow, from Peter's YouTube review, it looks like custom mode can be assigned to buttons now which is nice it see.

Back