Micro 4/3 OM-D w/ Four-Thirds 14-54mkII: Ricketts Glen State Park

Ricketts Glen State Park in Pennsylvania, great place for hiking. There is about ~20 waterfalls on a 7.5 mile trail. I wasn't very prepared, but if you come here make sure you've got water, some trailmix bars, and a great pair of hiking shoes because this place with challenge you for sure.

I didn't have a tripod so I just hand held...JK! (not even 5-axis system would help) ,but I just used my Domke F3x bag as camera support.

OOC Jpeg, very light PP (for compositional effect)

14mm f/22 25s iso200 B&W 10x ND filter
7205200904_bf3358a693_b.jpg

23mm f/9 1/100s iso200
7205239310_c1d85940c2_b.jpg

14mm f/22 50s iso200 B&W 10x ND filter
7205200406_ae4221af7d_b.jpg

Dynamic range of the OM-D is incredible, far surpassed and exceeded my expectations. It was a very bright and sunny day combined with the foliage and dark shadows this place would give any camera a serious workout.

The four thirds 14-54mkII works great on this camera.The autofocus is not blazing fast, but its not slow either. I would say on the level of my Ricoh GXR. This lens is super sharp and lives up to its High Grade marking. Its a bit on the heavy side, but combined with the grip should make an awesome weatherproof alternative to the kit lens.

-Tony

Very nice, love the b&w image. Did you try any of the slow shutter shots with a larger aperture? It's just that f/22 is a long way into diffraction territory on the Micro 4/3 sensor if you want to get the most out of the lens.

Very nice, love the b&w image. Did you try any of the slow shutter shots with a larger aperture? It's just that f/22 is a long way into diffraction territory on the Micro 4/3 sensor if you want to get the most out of the lens.

I wish I shot some at f11, but even with the 10x ND I need to crank it to f22 to get 25s. Not sure if any faster would have given me the same results. It was my first time trying black glass. I actually didn't have much time to play with setup as the trail was about 8 miles and it was a lot more treacherous than I had planned. I was really just busy hiking and took some shots not expecting to post, but once I got home and saw some of the files, WOW I was so impressed that I had to share :D

As you can see on the B&W at f/9, the lens is razor sharp. When I converted the file in Lightroom I had to turn the sharpness down to zero, because it was too much.

Back