Micro 4/3 OM System 90mm F3.5 Macro IS Pro lens is coming in 2023

Those of you from mu43 forum know that I have been calling for a ~100mm macro for years now. I'm glad to see it is finally coming to fruition. While I would have preferred a 100mm and f/2.8, I think 90mm and f/3.5 will probably be a nice compromise. It will supposedly have IS. I hope that it will have sync IS with new(ish) Olympus/OM cameras. That would be awesome, and more than make up for the bit slower lens while also having the advantage of wider DOF.

I could see running an OM1 and this lens as my dedicated macro setup that recently has moved to my K1 and 100mm macro. At least this keeps me interested in mft for a bit longer.

It will supposedly have IS. I hope that it will have sync IS with new(ish) Olympus/OM cameras. That would be awesome, and more than make up for the bit slower lens while also having the advantage of wider DOF.
Hopefully, it will be Sync IS capable. There are 3 other OIS lenses, the 2 Pro lenses support Sync and the 1 non-Pro "works with" IBIS.

Last edited:
I am currently shooting a Canon 100mm macro (200mm Effective focal length) with a Vello smart adapter and it works very well for most purposes. The combo is bigger and a bit heavy, about 28 oz., but I had the lens and can still use it on my existing Canon gear. I have posted a few images on here in the past, and rather like the images and the way it handles. Just sayin.... Tomorrow, I'll make a few images and them post here.

As promised, here a few random autumn flower garden images with a em1-2 and the Canon 100-2.8 L is Macro. The thing that impresses is the background separation that f2.8 provides. The color is true and great. If you already have an older FF macro lens (IS not necessary, but a bonus), it may be well worth a try to hang it on your m4/3 camera and check it out. I don't mean to take any of the glory from the new Oly macro, but for the amount I use a dedicated macro, this just works. Most of these shots were at 18 inches or less, in overcast afternoon light.

1662770656295.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1662770719373.jpeg

1662770777597.jpeg

1662770849337.jpeg

1662770911906.jpeg

1662770953570.jpeg

1662771000357.jpeg

I focused on the plant stem hairs.

Its up on the OM site for preorder, seems to be quite the contraption: The OM 90mm f3.5 Macro and it takes the TCs as well.
Might be Pre-Order on the Norway page, but in the US it can be purchased, and a lot of people have got one already... and love it. Maybe not the price, but if you love macro, and need magnification and hand holding ability, it is what you need...

Also, the guy that makes the below linked Macro Diffuser panel for the Oly 60mm macro, just revised one for the OM 90mm macro. He 3D Prints them, or you can get the file and have it printed, if you use the right material. They supposedly work great. he posted on DPR and another board, can't find it right now.

Back