Micro 4/3 OM System 90mm F3.5 Macro IS Pro

I have seen it as low as $1667 CAD new from a big retailer and it is often $1750 or $1800 CAD before tax ("regular" price of $2050) from other authorized retailers.

I am interested in a macro lens but most likely I will get the 30mm.

By the way, one of the user reviews for this lens on B&H is the funniest lens review I have ever read.

I have seen it as low as $1667 CAD new from a big retailer and it is often $1750 or $1800 CAD before tax ("regular" price of $2050) from other authorized retailers.

I am interested in a macro lens but most likely I will get the 30mm.

By the way, one of the user reviews for this lens on B&H is the funniest lens review I have ever read.
I'd strongly suggest you stretch for the 60mm lens, as I believe you might find the 30mm rather inhibiting. Mine was $1570 and I also will get a $200 cash-back from OM as part of their winter discount on some cameras and lenses which runs to the end of July. All of this is in Australia unfortunately.

Here is $2 to go towards your next purchase :) E-B measured tangentially is about 8mm. This looked like a mint coin until I got it under the camera. Stacked with flash and processed on Affinity Photo as Workspace couldn't get decent alignment for some reason.

2doll.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A couple more. This is a small piece of what I believe to be granite which has some small iron pyrites crystals. The first is lens only i.e. x 2 and the second with the MC-20 convertor to make it x4. Very hard to pick a spot and focus with the MC-20 on.
pyrites_1.jpg

pyrites_2.jpg

I think this crystal is the one on centre left of the first photo.

Damned insects are still hiding due to the cold night temperatures, so a challenge to find subjects. This is the lower jaw of some long dead reptile, all of 25mm long. First shot as x1 and second at full x2.
toothx1.jpg

toothx2.jpg

I'd strongly suggest you stretch for the 60mm lens, as I believe you might find the 30mm rather inhibiting. Mine was $1570 and I also will get a $200 cash-back from OM as part of their winter discount on some cameras and lenses which runs to the end of July. All of this is in Australia unfortunately.
Agreed. If one wants an "affordable" macro lens, it's hard to go wrong with the 60. Gives you decent working distance, especially in comparison to the 30. Won't scare the buggies away as much. Doubles as a portrait lens in a pinch, and it's weather-sealed, so you can wander around in a light sprinkle (with a weather-resistant body) without panicking. Works very well, and if you can't afford the 90, which is expensive, is the best way to go.

Agreed. If one wants an "affordable" macro lens, it's hard to go wrong with the 60. Gives you decent working distance, especially in comparison to the 30. Won't scare the buggies away as much. Doubles as a portrait lens in a pinch, and it's weather-sealed, so you can wander around in a light sprinkle (with a weather-resistant body) without panicking. Works very well, and if you can't afford the 90, which is expensive, is the best way to go.
Yes the 90 is really expensive. I'm glad I held off and found the deal I did, can't find anything to match it anywhere, even with the $200 cash back.

Just heard my cash back from OMDS is coming shortly. In the meantime I'm trying a few things and learning a lot. The depth of field means keeping the f stop up around 10 or more, otherwise bracketing has to be at least 40-50 shots. Took a couple just now with 30 shots and f5, still too shallow to get the whole thing in.

untitled_3.jpg

At risk of boring everyone, I used a rather wet afternoon to explore this depth of focus and bracketing. I upped the focus bracketing step to the mid value i.e. 5 and then took 50 followed by 70 shots with flash. Nose to eye distance of my willing model is about 9mm.
model_dog.jpg

50x5r.jpg

70x5v2r.jpg

Not much to play with. I shan't be bothering with any snake macros :)

Back