Micro 4/3 OM System 90mm F3.5 Macro IS Pro

Came here to drop this:

Seems to be a very solid product development, with the surprisingly feature of being able to take the TC 1,4 and 2X for a maximum of whooping 4X magnification.

Agree with @TNcasual on the price, though. 1500,- is probably towards the high end of spectrum for the casual macro worker, a catergory where I may aspire to be someday.

I watched the live, 'shopping channel' style UK launch of this lens this morning on YouTube. Despite the cringey presentation it looks to be a nice lens and the ability to use the TC's is a clever move. But £1,300?! Aimed at the serious professionals only, methinks. I'll stick with my 60mm.

I have been wanting this lens for years now. It's great that it is now available, unfortunately, I don't think I will buy it. And that's really frustrating. It's just hard to justify that price, even though I bet that the results will probably be worth it.

I have been wanting this lens for years now. It's great that it is now available, unfortunately, I don't think I will buy it. And that's really frustrating. It's just hard to justify that price, even though I bet that the results will probably be worth it.
I think it is one of those lenses that will go on heavy cashback status quite quick, most likely no later than in time for the Chrimbo shopping this year...

We would love to see prices lower but compare these prices to lenses for FF. If I were bothered to go big with FF I would jump the fence and look at a medium format system.

Man, I want the lens, but $1500 is pretty pricy.
Much the same price as my f/4 8-25, and a bit over half what I paid for my f/4 12-100 in December 2016.

So, the pricing is pretty comparable.

Camera companies have to make a profit to stay in business. We don't want OMDS to go the way of Olympus Imaging ...

Some people and reviewers are only just discovering many of the unique features that Olympus cameras and lenses have. Years too late!

If I were to buy another format, the only one I find that offers both the IQ and the (different) unique feature set is the Hasselblad X2D. Nothing in APSC or 135 format come close to the full feature set of my now humble E-M1 MkII, a now 7 year old camera ...

Last edited:
Much the same price as my f/4 8-25, and a bit over half what I paid for my f/4 12-100 in December 2016.

So, the pricing is pretty comparable.

Camera companies have to make a profit to stay in business. We don't want OMDS to go the way of Olympus Imaging ...

Some people and reviewers are only just discovering many of the unique features that Olympus cameras and lenses have. Years too late!

If I were to buy another format, the only one I find that offers both the IQ and the (different) unique feature set is the Hasselblad X2D. Nothing in APSC or 135 format come close to the full feature set of my now humble E-M1 MkII, a now 7 year old camera ...

I agree that it probably is a decent price for what it gives. I just do not have the discretionary money to spend so much on camera gear these days. Especially as the cost of regular life has increased as well.

I got some hands-on with the 90mm when I bought the OM-1/100-400. The brick and mortar had one on a OM-1 on display, which I happily entertained myself with, whilst the clerk was back and fort to the store room with my stuff.

It is extremely nice and quite the close-up beast, but the local price point and my under-utilization of the Oly 60 mm Macro, which I have had on the shelfs for years doesn't make me fancy it, but if I was a keen macro photographer in the M43 universe, I would probably hanker for it.

It's expensive but it's definitely a nicer macro lens than the 60mm.

Where it's less useful is non-macro photography. It's a lovely focal length but manual focus is horribly difficult - the slightest touch of the focus ring takes you from too close to too far.

With the OM-1 it's got excellent autofocus which heavily mitigates that; it's where the desired focal point isn't clear to the camera that it hurts. It took me over a dozen attempts to get the eyes in focus here:
_-3-X2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am however extremely happy with the lens, and while I can't recommend it due to its price, it's definitely worth its place in my bag.

Back