Micro 4/3 Showcase OM SYSTEM M.Zuiko Digital ED 20mm f/1.4 PRO

davidzvi

Hall of Famer
Name
David
@MoonMind I only have the PL25 vI and not the vII but...... Dang it's I like it. I haven't had that much time to play with it yet, I should this weekend.

_OMD0646.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The optical improvements in the 25mm f/1.4 II aren't major - and I think we can safely say that I was right in assmuing the Olympus 20mm f/1.4 PRO would be the better lens - we agreed on that!

My own assessment (that the 25mm f/1.4 II is sufficient for my own needs) hasn't changed, but I'm happy to congratulate you on the acquisition of a real dream lens!

M.

The optical improvements in the 25mm f/1.4 II aren't major - and I think we can safely say that I was right in assmuing the Olympus 20mm f/1.4 PRO would be the better lens - we agreed on that!

My own assessment (that the 25mm f/1.4 II is sufficient for my own needs) hasn't changed, but I'm happy to congratulate you on the acquisition of a real dream lens!

M.
The PL25 is fine lens and if this wasn't my main (and only system) I probably wouldn't have sprung for it. Currently it's actually my 3rd most expensive lens. It was also a lot easier to justify then the 70-200 f/2.8 vII that I bought a number of years ago for events, about $2,400 - $2,500 if I remember correctly.

Light snow on top a of a heavy snow and thaw, what better time to take out take a great sealed combo.

EM120438.jpg

EM120442.jpg

EM120446.jpg

EM120457.jpg

EM120461.jpg

EM120472.jpg

So how have you been enjoying this lens, David? I’ve become quite curious about it. Have you ever shot with the Leica 15mm 1.7? If so, how do they compare? Do you think it would make sense to own both?
It's not an everyday lens for me, though it could be. I've always liked the 40mme. I loved the P20, but often when I want the focal length the AF issues of the P20 "annoy" me. The O20 may not be as small, but has great AF, produces great images, and is sealed. Yes it's a lot bigger and I've considered getting another P20 for my E-P7.

The PL15? The best lens I've never really liked, I've owned 3 of them. For some reason, I like the P14 better. I've never been able to put my finger on why. If you like the PL15 would it make sense to have both? Well, I have the P14 , O17, and O20 (though I may sell the O17). So yes. If for no other reason than sealed but larger/heavier vs not sealed, but smaller/lighter.

It's not an everyday lens for me, though it could be. I've always liked the 40mme. I loved the P20, but often when I want the focal length the AF issues of the P20 "annoy" me. The O20 may not be as small, but has great AF, produces great images, and is sealed. Yes it's a lot bigger and I've considered getting another P20 for my E-P7.

The PL15? The best lens I've never really liked, I've owned 3 of them. For some reason, I like the P14 better. I've never been able to put my finger on why. If you like the PL15 would it make sense to have both? Well, I have the P14 , O17, and O20 (though I may sell the O17). So yes. If for no other reason than sealed but larger/heavier vs not sealed, but smaller/lighter.
Thanks for the info. I have the PL15, but primarily just for occasional astrophotography. With my new OM-5, I was thinking about the 40-150 f4 pro and the 20mm 1.4 to round out a nice 3 lens kit with my 12-45 f4 pro. I like the 40mme also, but feel it’s probably too tight for astro work, so I imagine I’d hang onto the PL, but tbd I suppose.

Thanks for the info. I have the PL15, but primarily just for occasional astrophotography. With my new OM-5, I was thinking about the 40-150 f4 pro and the 20mm 1.4 to round out a nice 3 lens kit with my 12-45 f4 pro. I like the 40mme also, but feel it’s probably too tight for astro work, so I imagine I’d hang onto the PL, but tbd I suppose.
Not an astro shooter so I have no opinion on that. But the 20 Pro would make a good sealed / fast option to pair with the 12-45 and 40-150 f/4 combo on a sealed body.

Anyone have pictures of the city at night at f/1.8 or so? I am wondering what the purple fringing and starbursts are like near wide open. I would prefer a more normal, everyday kind of lens, but if fringing around the lights is too much, I might have to "settle" for the more "serious" 17mm f/1.2 instead.

Back