Software OM Workspace (former Olympus) new AI Noise Reduction

AI noise reduction (standard) on fur at ISO 3200

2022-02-23 18_38_29-OM Workspace - Browse.png

EM532446 (2)_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No noise reduction at all, ISO 6400 ...

View attachment 294508

View attachment 294509
I am well aware that the Oly cams can produce some decent high(er) ISO results even with any NR (besides what the cam does anyway).
The purpose of this thread was to show what the new AI noise reduction feature could improve or maybe worsen (like many NRs).

And I think that the background in your pictures could appear smoother without loosing any details on the subject with the AI filter.
I am not saying that this is needed. Actually I found the "noise" produced by the OM-D always more pleasing than the noise I got from my former Nikon DX cam.

I am well aware that the Oly cams can produce some decent high(er) ISO results even with any NR (besides what the cam does anyway).
The purpose of this thread was to show what the new AI noise reduction feature could improve or maybe worsen (like many NRs).

And I think that the background in your pictures could appear smoother without loosing any details on the subject with the AI filter.
I am not saying that this is needed. Actually I found the "noise" produced by the OM-D always more pleasing than the noise I got from my former Nikon DX cam.
The in-camera noise reduction was at minimum.

When I do use any NR, it is with a very light touch.
IMHO, many people are often too heavy handed with this in PP, or in-camera.

The in-camera noise reduction was at minimum.

When I do use any NR, it is with a very light touch.
IMHO, many people are often too heavy handed with this in PP, or in-camera.
Very true.
I'd rather see some noise, then smear away any details.
(we all lived ok with ISO400/800 film ;) )

Anyway, to me, this AI stuff really adds value and it is free.

Very true.
I'd rather see some noise, then smear away any details.
(we all lived ok with ISO400/800 film ;) )
Exactly.
Anyway, to me, this AI stuff really adds value and it is free.
I'm not against anything that improves IQ.

However, I find that a light touch with Photoshop gets rid of noise if people are really so noise averse. e.g.

E-M1_JAK_2015-_6050799_Ew.jpg

E-M1_JAK_2015-_6050799_copy_rotated_Ew.jpg

Exactly.

I'm not against anything that improves IQ.

However, I find that a light touch with Photoshop gets rid of noise if people are really so noise averse. e.g.

View attachment 294524

View attachment 294525
I like that one.
And especially with shiny surfaces I think NR makes sense.

Like Photoshop there are many tools to achieve a result like that.
And OM Systems provided free AI NR makes that achievable for "stupid-me-one-click-noobs" ;)

I like that one.
And especially with shiny surfaces I think NR makes sense.

Like Photoshop there are many tools to achieve a result like that.
And OM Systems provided free AI NR makes that achievable for "stupid-me-one-click-noobs" ;)
I think that therein lies much of the problem, Oppi.

Many do not seem to be prepared to put in the effort it requires to gain proficiency in almost any skill one can think of.

In the image below, shot from a semi-pontoon pedestrian bridge, with about 100 people on it , I had to use ISO 12,800.
The JPEG was unusable, and I had to do some moderately heroic editing on the raw. It prints OK at A4 size. Could possibly print at A3. This is from the noisy Panasonic sensor in my E-M1 MkI. The Sony sensor in my E-M1 MkII is about a stop better.

Eureka Tower, Melbourne CBD.

E-M1_JAK_2015-_C172085_JK_E-2_Ew.jpg

I think that therein lies much of the problem, Oppi.

Many do not seem to be prepared to put in the effort it requires to gain proficiency in almost any skill one can think of.

In the image below, shot from a semi-pontoon pedestrian bridge, with about 100 people on it , I had to use ISO 12,800.
The JPEG was unusable, and I had to do some moderately heroic editing on the raw. It prints OK at A4 size. Could possibly print at A3. This is from the noisy Panasonic sensor in my E-M1 MkI. The Sony sensor in my E-M1 MkII is about a stop better.

Eureka Tower, Melbourne CBD.

View attachment 294528
I'd love to see what AI NR would do with that raw, but M1 MK1 not supported...

offtopic:
I spend up to 12 hours behind the screens most days for work.
Therefore I am trying to keep "leisure time" behind any screen as low as possible.
So I go out, take pictures (Shutter Therapy like Robin Wong calls it), but I refuse spending hours on editing. I don't even have any photo editing software besides Workspace.

Does it also 'need' a Rolls Royce parked in one's garage?

It's the same with all these mongrels now. THEY decide what you have to have by artificially locking one out of their product/s. Adobe are masters at this ...

What's next? Certified copy of your bank statements, along with passwords?
The real master at this is microsoft.

I'd love to see what AI NR would do with that raw, but M1 MK1 not supported...

offtopic:
I spend up to 12 hours behind the screens most days for work.
Therefore I am trying to keep "leisure time" behind any screen as low as possible.
So I go out, take pictures (Shutter Therapy like Robin Wong calls it), but I refuse spending hours on editing. I don't even have any photo editing software besides Workspace.
Photoshop Elements is cheap, pretty straightforward, and quite powerful. Also perpetual licence.

Free Trial | Adobe Photoshop Elements 2022

from the specs:

Supported cams and computers:
OM-1
E-M1X, E-M1 Mark III, E-M1 Mark II, E-M5 Mark III
Windows, 64-bit OS, NVIDIA video card (latest GPU Driver is recommended), CUDA version 11.2 or later, VRAM: 4 GB or more
Mac OS, macOS v10.14 or later, Metal 2 compatible, VRAM: 2 GB or more

My Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz with 16GB RAM
and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB dedicated Ram
does the job nicely and not too slow. (Well, workspace isn't overly fast anyway, but improved with this version)
Seeing this comment made me excited for my new laptop with this video card, I was kinda devastated when I read that this videocard didnt support CUDA 11.2, my entire reason for buying it was because of OM Workspace since I mainly shoot underwater with my E-M1

Back