Micro 4/3 OMD reviewed by DxoMark

KianO

Top Veteran
Finally, it confirms what we already all know, it rivals APS-C:

DxOMark - Olympus OM-D E-M5: The best of the micro 4:3 cameras

This is a shot I took this weekend in a the nef from geneva's cathedral with a 7-14mm f4 lens hand held pointing towards the ceiling, it shows this cam and lens combo in full glory:

p9220438-3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was flabbergasted when I processed this file...

The monochrome was nice geometrically but the colors are wowing me! Just gorgeous.

Thanks Kristen, I often have a strong push for either color OR b&w but this one was not so clear, I processed it at first in b&w and only "saw" afterwards that the color version had more impact. Together with color shots I've seen in the DP image thread is pushing me towards having a color project for a month or so to "open up" somehow, difficult to describe the feeling... Another shot I saw in the forum that compelled my to try color again was a wabi sabi shot (I forgot who made that one).

Thanks Kristen, I often have a strong push for either color OR b&w but this one was not so clear, I processed it at first in b&w and only "saw" afterwards that the color version had more impact. Together with color shots I've seen in the DP image thread is pushing me towards having a color project for a month or so to "open up" somehow, difficult to describe the feeling... Another shot I saw in the forum that compelled my to try color again was a wabi sabi shot (I forgot who made that one).

Color can be very compelling. There can be patterns in color too though it is far easier to see patterns and remove conflicting colors via desaturation than find the color blends you want to keep. It would be a good self challenge if you decided to take it up. Clearly you had some talent with that shot in framing and processing it. We have to give color palette kudos to the original artists. ;) *How is that Fragment Organ in your blog in color. Go back and look, it might be amazing.

Color can be very compelling. There can be patterns in color too though it is far easier to see patterns and remove conflicting colors via desaturation than find the color blends you want to keep. It would be a good self challenge if you decided to take it up. Clearly you had some talent with that shot in framing and processing it. We have to give color palette kudos to the original artists. ;) *How is that Fragment Organ in your blog in color. Go back and look, it might be amazing.

Thank you very much for your appreciation and taking time reviewing my blog photos. I'll check out that organ fragment shot, it may well be a better one for color since graphically it is a mess, too many lines are conflicting in the picture, color may give a better separation.

Hmm, I'm definitaly leaning towards a color project, bring color into life during the fall period with it's less abrupt light and colr changes that occur could reveal being a challenge.

Thank you very much again to have taken time with me on this subject :)

In the months following the E-M5's release, many people were clamouring for the DxO test scores. At the time there was a fair amount of angst between those who were using it and a few who didn't want to believe that it offered any improvements over existing m4/3 cameras. Long after that argument has been put to bed, DxO's test scores are a bit too late to be able to generate much interest and debate now in m4/3 circles.

The scores given to the E-M5 looks about right to me. The DxO rankings put the E-M5 slightly behind the NEX-5N, and my own comparison between these two cameras puts the E-M5 about half a stop behind in noise at higher ISOs, and with dynamic range so close that I can't really rate one over the other.

P.S. Awesome image(s), Kian!

P.S. Awesome image(s), Kian!

Thanks a lot Nic and I agree with you, fortunately many have jumped on the OMD without waiting for dxolab for the scores and judging on its image quality by eye, but I remember myself being suspicious before buying it, I was wondering what kind of trick they did to get those results that were challenging APS-C sensors, the weak AA filter could part of the reason too.

I also found the price tag steep, forunately oly are releasing cheaper pen models with the same sensor so many more will be able to profit from this good camera who were put back the price. As far as I am concerned I enjoy the 5 axis stabilisation for indoor shots with that wide angle that starts at f4, probably also very useful for the very good 45/1.8 and 75/1.8 lenses.

Yeah, I love that they've dropped the E-M5 sensor into both the new Pens. I had an E-PM1 and while the lack of controls could be a hindrance sometimes, I found myself liking it for it's simplicity. It was tiny, light, but still very fast in operation. Adding the E-M5 sensor and a touchscreen at that pricepoint makes the E-PM2 even more appealing than it's predecessor. The E-M5 is not a cheap camera but when I find myself adding up everything it offers for that price I wouldn't say that it is greatly overpriced.

Yes, the E-PM2 with the 40/1.7 is a nice and small package, I still miss a good 35 equiv. but I think that is coming down the road if my memory is correct. The 28/2 equiv from schneider also it seems, it'll be difficult choosing between those two for me...

Its an excellent shot KianO, amazing in both color and bw; missing my 7-14 now :)) some how your shot capture much better less dramatic but more appealing to eyes details than a multishot HDR photo.

However, I am sorry if it offend anybody here but I don't agree with DXOMark score, OMD is able to score much higher IMO.

Its an excellent shot KianO, amazing in both color and bw; missing my 7-14 now :)) some how your shot capture much better less dramatic but more appealing to eyes details than a multishot HDR photo.

However, I am sorry if it offend anybody here but I don't agree with DXOMark score, OMD is able to score much higher IMO.

Thanks a lot Naveed, and yes the 7-14 is cool but of a limited use, I often resisted the urge to sell it to finance new equipment, fortunately I have kept it, but still, it will not be used very much. The oly 9-18 is very good also I believe and is much cheaper, I only got my 7-14 because I got it second hand, otherwise I would have got the 9-18 which is a more useful focal range.

Thanks a lot Naveed, and yes the 7-14 is cool but of a limited use, I often resisted the urge to sell it to finance new equipment, fortunately I have kept it, but still, it will not be used very much. The oly 9-18 is very good also I believe and is much cheaper, I only got my 7-14 because I got it second hand, otherwise I would have got the 9-18 which is a more useful focal range.

Well yes if I would have to travel with only one lens 9-18 is excellent, compact and more versatile. But I am already carrying too many m43 lenses, with 20mm f1.7, 14mm f2.5 and 45mm f1.8 the awesome 7-14mm is a much better option IMO.

I only hope Pany/leica is making 7mm prime :rolleyes:

Back