On or off camera lighting and things

Agree with everything Bobby had outlined. Spot on.

Here’s an example from a shot I took about 8yrs ago for my wife’s side business making cakes.

Seamless grey paper backdrop, c-stand with boomed octobox overtop, shoot thru umbrella out front left, reflector on right.

Setup shot:

View attachment 244177

Result:

View attachment 244178
Awesome looking cake and love the BTS shot.
Priceless help for all.

A technique for people to try, if they are not already familiar with it, is feathering the light. This can be done as the main light, or as fill. Also, this can be done with any light modifier. Feathering is pointing the light ahead, or in front of the subject. The light modifier can even be beside the subject pointing forward.

light beside subject
60810420_10216922259182895_6540459632383492096_o.jpg

Light pointing ahead of subject
IMG_1516_HEIC-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF0950-L.jpg

Here's a shot of my garage space with a 5x12 Wescott X-drop.
Pretty easy to use in a tight space and very portable.
I got it in neutral gray and extra length to do full shots with the ability to use PS blending modes to mimic different backdrops.
It's not the real thing but a lot cheaper and a lot of fun.
Note the baseboard moulding. I tried photoshopping moulding but it was easier buying it.
Once you get the process down it's actually pretty quick and you can basically add whatever you want.
Here's an old thread.
bts.JPG

One of the most important things in portrait lighting that no one ever told me. Is that light placement is one of the most critical aspects of lighting. Once I learned this, it completely changed my portrait shooting. My godox speedlight and $30 Amazon octobox suddenly became capable of really good images.

With all that said. My opinion is that one of the very first things you should put money towards is a good light stand and boom arm. These days, a very sturdy C Stand/turtle base stand with a boom arm can be had from Amazon or Adorama in the $120-$140 range. I have used a very cheap pair of ankle weights for counter weights since I started working with lighting. I paid $10 for those as opposed to a minimum of $20 for a photography weight bag which doesn’t even come with weight in it.

With a C Stand and boom, the versatility of your light placement opens up your lighting to many different looks with the same light and modifier.
Great tip.
I avoided a C-stand/boom arm for the longest time.
Might be the most useful piece I have.

I apologize for posting this in this in the portrait thread. I didn't realize until now.

A little table top set up using four dollar store pieces of foam core.
Two black for the base and back. Two white for bounce.
A simple set up that I use pretty often for buy/sell gear.
The folder is a xmas present from my boys.
sencut.jpg
And a bts. Shooting into one of the whites reflects into the object for the main. The opposite side white acts as a fill with a nice softer ratio. The knife's one side doesn't really show it but for round objects(lenses) it works pretty nicely.
sencut.bts.jpg

Last edited:
Great tip.
I avoided a C-stand/boom arm for the longest time.
Might be the most useful piece I have.

A little table top set up using four dollar store pieces of foam core.
Two black for the base and back. Two white for bounce.
A simple set up that I use pretty often for buy/sell gear.
The folder is a xmas present from my boys.
View attachment 244417And a bts. Shooting into one of the whites reflects into the object for the main. The opposite side white acts as a fill with a nice softer ratio. The knife's one side doesn't really show it but for round objects(lenses) it works pretty nicely.
View attachment 244418
This is very similar to the setup I use for gear shots. I quoted your other post because, wait for it....... I use the C stand with boom arm to light from overhead. I have two of those black boards taped together with gaff tape so it folds similar to a V flat.

Here I tried a three light set up.
A 28" gridded BD with AD200 overhead on a c-stand boom arm.
A V1 to the rear with round cap to illuminate the V-flat.
A TT350mini in a winged umbrella for fill front of subject and low.
gabe 2.jpg

Note to self: Need to work on the balance of the three lights(background blown) and position the main overhead a little forward of subject. And delint.

When I was playing around the other day, I did a different version/method of a white background shoot. Because I just recently had what I needed to try this method. Instead of an actual white backdrop, I used a 48" octobox as the background. Results are pretty much the same as John's. Just another way of getting there.

As you will see, I have some work to do balancing the light better. But this gives the gist of what I was trying.
IMG_1517_HEIC-L.jpg

DSCF0968-L.jpg

Gabe. Pandemic hair.
gabe 1.jpg

Godox V1 in a 28" diffused folding beauty dish. V-Flat white camera left for fill.
Gray X-drop with fabricated wall and floor.
Lost my texture/floor source folder. Had to go with the hideous granite. ( :
BTS..
b.t.s..jpg

Back