On or off camera lighting and things

DSCF3925-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a lighting set up I got from a family photographer I follow on instagram, Sandra Coan. Like so many photographers out there, she has classes available one can take. But one thing I like with her is that she also gives out tips and info at no charge. And she's always been friendly and helpful when talking with her on instagram.

Excuse the messiness. Instead of helping and cleaning up stuff. Naturally I got out the back drop and a light to do some photos.
sandracoan-XL.jpg

DSCF1299-XL.jpg

DSCF1426-XL.jpg

DSCF1447-XL.jpg

A little more about this lighting. When I first saw it, the way the shoot through umbrella was set up. Translucent diffusion and aimed in the opposite direction it would normally be aimed. I thought it was odd. But, the results spoke for themselves. Which is why I tried it. I like that it gives a nice wrap around light and has the same look as using a reflector with a single light. Having a white ceiling to bounce the light off of makes this work even better.

DSCF1448-XL.jpg

Shifting gears a little bit. After a little talking back and forth with John about alternative lighting ideas. I picked up a couple of Godox LC500R LED light sticks and a Godox R1 which is small round LED.
Again, ignore the mess in my front room lol
IMG_3356-L.jpg

Some of comments I will make are specifically about the LED lights I have and am using. As there are several options in LED lighting. Some of which will do the things I will mention that my set of LED lights will not.

FIrst, the LED set I have will get pretty bright. But still nowhere near the power level of strobes. Really not even close. Next, these lights are unable to have any kind of light modifier mounted to them, except the barn doors which come with them. I think they could work with an umbrella but I didn't try it.

Where these lights are fun, is in being creative while having a what you see is what you get lighting. They are adjustable from 2500k-8500k while also having a full RGB color range. I haven't even scratched the surface of getting creative with them. And having got them on early black Friday pricing, they're going to be a great addition to my light kit.

DSCF1481-Edit-2-XL.jpg

DSCF1539-Edit-XL.jpg

DSCF1488-XL.jpg

Back