On or off camera lighting and things

I picked up a curved reflector. Makes a wonderful glowy fill imo. And a very distinct catchlight. I also painted a 9'x12' canvas(in the background).
628A0763-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I haven't read this entire thread, but it appears that no one has mentioned what I consider to be the lighting 'bible' yet - "Light Science and Magic" by Biver, Fuqua, et. al.

This book taught me more about lighting in 4-6 weeks than 50+ years of practical experience. Highly recommended.

I went straight to Strobist (David Hobby) for manually off camera and took a couple workshops with Joe McNally (TTL off camera and location flash usage) and bought all his books.

This is an older portrait, but one that shows the use of "rim lighting" to help separate a dark subject from a dark background.

02-12-2018_D700_Obetz_portraits_DSC_1807.jpg

The main light was to camera right (AB400 and a 46" umbrella box).
Rim light Nikon SB-28)was behind the subject and just peaking past the black backdrop to camera left. It was gridded to avoid unnecessary spill. The tell tale sign can be seen by the light on the back of the subjects neck.

All triggered on manual with Radio Popper triggers.

This next image was taken with one light and no rim, so that the subjects would blend into the background.

One light, camera right using a smaller flash as main. I believe it was 20 inch Lumiquest. The source was quite close.

08-28-2011_layne_neica_Portraits_BLP_DSC_1724-edit.jpg

All well and good, Andrew.

However, there's probably a good reason why "Light Science and Magic" has been a text book for photography classes for over 20 years.

For sure. Just offering an alternative as I don't learn this kind of stuff well from books. There are many that need alternative educational options as I do. I need to see, interact and practice.

For sure. Just offering an alternative as I don't learn this kind of stuff well from books. There are many that need alternative educational options as I do. I need to see, interact and practice.
Appreciate that, Andrew.

I'm the opposite: read, understand and then do, or experiment.

I was brought up reading children's books and comics until I was about 6-7 years old, then switched to science fiction, non-fiction books, dictionaries and encyclopaedias. I'm pretty much still like that.

A good friend does what you do, and I am mystified as to how he can learn anything from videos, but he patently does.

Appreciate that, Andrew.

I'm the opposite: read, understand and then do, or experiment.

I was brought up reading children's books and comics until I was about 6-7 years old, then switched to science fiction, non-fiction books, dictionaries and encyclopaedias. I'm pretty much still like that.

A good friend does what you do, and I am mystified as to how he can learn anything from videos, but he patently does.

I’ve never been normal. Lol. 🤪

I’ve never been normal. Lol. 🤪
Who ever said anything whatsoever about being "normal"?

Whatever that is ...

A serious question put in one of my third year psychology classes in "Psychopathology and Deviant Behaviour" was "How does one actually define 'normalcy'?" Professor Gibbs could not give any kind of definitive answer.

Each and every one of us is unique, and uniquely different. 'Normalcy' can best be described as a range of acceptable behaviours. However, even this loose definition doesn't come close to encompassing someone like me, with ADD/ADHD and PDD.

It is a very, very difficult concept to pin down!

I bought studio strobes years ago for photographing my wife's art works, mainly pottery. This was after spending an entire afternoon to get one halfway decent shot of one object ... I will not repeat many of the magic words I used! To no avail.

That was after building a light tent, and using three off-camera flashes.

So here is the basic setup.

E-30_JAK_2011-_6245062_Ew.jpg

And some results.

E-30_JAK_2011-_6215002_Ew.jpg

E-510_JAK_2011-_1066610_Ew.jpg

How to build the frame for the light tent here:

Of course, the cats helped:

Lizzie:

E-510_JAK_2011-_1066604_Ew.jpg

And Rosa:

E-510_JAK_2011-_1066605_Ew.jpg

Last edited:
A gym session.

Work I did for an apparel company.

Image 1 and 2
2 lights (SB-28 and SB-26) - Radio Poppers.
Key light to camera left through umbrella box, back accent light (raw flash at 24mm) bounced off a mirror behind the squat rack.

11-08-2017_D700_MW_AMMO_DSC_1684-Edit-2.jpg

11-08-2017_D700_MW_AMMO_DSC_1689-Edit.jpg

3rd image was one SB-28 flash through umbrella box. The light stand was very close to the subject and pointing very much down on them. Feathered the light high to get the fall off toward the front of the subject.

11-08-2017_D700_MW_AMMO_DSC_1733-Edit.jpg

Back