On or off camera lighting and things

Every now and again, my wife will challenge me. She'll walk into a room I'm in and say, "I want you to take a portrait of me and you have 10 minutes to pick the camera, lens and lighting you want".
My wife's worse than a skittish horse! Produce a camera, and she all but hides in a cupboard!

I have managed to sneak a few nice photos of her over our 40+ years of married life. She would never forgive me if I were to post any of them here. She has always been shy that way.

Here’s another variation of lighting through the subject. Dead flowers arranged directly on the face of a softbox pointing straight up. It’s the light source and the background.

AmaryllisStudy01.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My wife's worse than a skittish horse! Produce a camera, and she all but hides in a cupboard!

I have managed to sneak a few nice photos of her over our 40+ years of married life. She would never forgive me if I were to post any of them here. She has always been shy that way.

I always get approval before posting anything. Trust me, been down the posting of "unapproved" images before....I like not having to have my anatomy re-attached. :D

My wife, in a hallway in our house. One light, on the camera hotshoe, bounced up and off the ceiling.

Every now and again, my wife will challenge me. She'll walk into a room I'm in and say, "I want you to take a portrait of me and you have 10 minutes to pick the camera, lens and lighting you want".

View attachment 349302

For this one I grabbed the Oly kit as listed in the EXIF below the image. I put a Nikon SB-26 on top in manual mode and matched the power output to the aperture and ISO. The directionality of the light was so concentrated that it limited the spill and kept the light off the door behind her and the walls beside as well.
Ok, I'm officially in love with your wife! ❤️What a wonderful way to be in a relationship! Lucky man, you. 👍🏼

Even nicer than Cato & Inspector Clouseau 🥷

Last edited:
One speed light and a Lumiquest softbox on a painters pole with adapter.

I wanted the light close. Took 2 frames. One with the light in frame and one frame with the same exposure without the light in it. Masked out the flash from the first frame where the flash fired with the second shot without the flash.

Gear:
Nikon SB-26
Lumiquest Softbox
painters pole
painters pole to 3/8 adapter
Frio Cold Shoe
Radio Popper RX/TX wireless triggers

Senior portrait shoot

Why f/13? I didn't have an ND filter or tripod and I wanted there to be a little bit of blur in the waterfall.

04-18-2015_EM1_ashley_senior_P4180149-Edit-Edit.jpg

One speed light and a Lumiquest softbox on a painters pole with adapter.

I wanted the light close. Took 2 frames. One with the light in frame and one frame with the same exposure without the light in it. Masked out the flash from the first frame where the flash fired with the second shot without the flash.

Gear:
Nikon SB-26
Lumiquest Softbox
painters pole
painters pole to 3/8 adapter
Frio Cold Shoe
Radio Popper RX/TX wireless triggers

Senior portrait shoot

Why f/13? I didn't have an ND filter or tripod and I wanted there to be a little bit of blur in the waterfall.

View attachment 349664

Always wanted to do the painter pole, but never got around to it. Maybe some day. Learned many great tips from David Hobby.

Tried to overpower the background as much as I could with this one. Used 2 speedlights one small speedlight with the umbrella box. above me and shooting down a bit. I snapped the pick under neath it.

Second light was bounced off a reflector on the ground, angled slightly up to give a flatter, clamshell glamour look. That is why the light on model looks so flat.

So, gear list for this one is:
Nikon SB-28
Umbrella box
Frio Cold Shoe
light stand
Radio Popper TX/RX
Nikon SB-26 - assistant (wife held this light for the bounce)

10-18-2015_Df_destinyjustice_DSC_4325-Edit-Edit.jpg

Very nice technically and a wonderful projection of friendliness from the subject.
And by the exif it would seem you used a Tamron 90? I really liked that one.
On location, outside portrait. used speedlight to counter balance the background brightness. The area we were in was in shadow, so used the light for the subject as well as as the brick wall

Nikon SB-28
umbrella box
Radio Popper TX/RX wireless triggers
Flash to camera left

View attachment 349752

Back