Micro 4/3 On the G9 the 35-100mm f2.8 v1 has, for me, no jitters shooting Video .

I spent some time today with my "like new" never been used V1 of the 35-100mm f2.8. Got this lens for $370 paypaled and shipped. For stills it is an amazing tool. I also did some shoots with my 58mm Canon 500D close up filter on the lens and the macros were very good (even in comparison 60mm Oly macro I have). But the biggest find of the day, was that shooting my preferred 4K 60 FPS I found no micro shutter jitters at either 35 or 100mm as was somewhat proven in the past before firmware 1.2 or 1.3 (can't remember). This lens came with the 1.3 software on it, but I think it's the dual IS with the G9 that gives this lens very good handheld videos out to 100mm. I now have the 12-35, 35-100, and the 100-400 Panasonic lenses. I am very pleased that my spur of the moment "like new & inexpensive" got to have it 35-100 turned out to be a great lens. This won't make my 35-100 f4/5.6 redundant as it travels with my Gx85, it's good but the 2.8 V1 is better.

I was leaning towards the 8-18 but after checking my wide-angle shots, I am always at the wide end. I find that I very seldom use the 18mm on my Oly 9-18 when traveling, it's aways at the widest point or I am using another lens. I am thinking of the Pany 7-14 because I don't use filters (even for video) and at the wide end, an extra 1mm is actually a lot, especially indoors. That would make me more likely to go for the Gh6 with the 10-25mm f1.7 than the 12-60mm when probate is done, using the other lenses when I needed wider or much longer FOVs.

The 35-100 mm was a spur of the moment decision (late at night of course cruising Fred Miranda), but it's one I don't regret even with my infrequent usage of that focal range (might carry both G9's and the 12-35 & 35-100 now). I probably have too many lenses but I have 4 bags ready to go, and each has a large amount of utility for specific types of imaging I do. I'll probably get the 7-14 used because they are pretty well priced even those that are "excellent" rated at the used places.

Last edited:
Back